Do you trim in turns?

Do you trim elevator in turns?

• Generally only in IFR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generally only in VFR

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Generally both in IFR and VFR

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Generally only if the bank angle is at least X (whatever you like X to be)

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Generally only if the heading change is at least X (whatever you like X to be)

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Only when training/practicing steep turns

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • I never trim elevator in a turn.

Votes: 22 43.1%

• Total voters

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Do you trim elevator in turns?

My specific question relates to commercial training and 60d steep turns, i.e. do you routinely dial in some set amount of trim for a steep turn?

But I decided to go ahead and poll the more general question. All questions start with "Generally" because we all know that every situation is different. I am curious what y'all do in general or much/most of the time. Also, you can choose multiple responses because the choices are not mutually exclusive.

Thanks.

Last edited:
In the cherokee (and 172) I would roll in some trim for steep turns.

when soaring if i start turning i expect to be turning for several minutes so i trim it up.

my personal opinion is that a lot of people over-complicate steep turns on their checkrides by constantly messing with the trim

Trimming when starting a steep turn , trim makes the workload a lot easier.

I was shown a neat trick of quickly adding two spins of up trim in a 172 as you enter a steep turn. If you do it right you can fly it hands off.

I don't, but I'm not opposed to it. Unless you are going to be turning a while, it's just extra work because you have to re-trim when you roll out of the turn too.

Yep, "roll, power, trim trim" in, "power, roll, trim trim" out.

I don't trim in steep turns because I don't find it hard to hold the necessary back pressure. But I've only flown 152s and 172s.

Of course with a different aircraft at higher speeds the effort may increase, so then I might.

Yes

The only exception might be in the swift. The stick forces are so light, trimming is hardly needed

if i need to trim in a turn i need to trim. doesnt matter if im ifr, vfr, doing steep turns

I trim anytime there is a pilot commanded change in attitude of the airplane.

I don't, but I'm not opposed to it. Unless you are going to be turning a while, it's just extra work because you have to re-trim when you roll out of the turn too.

Yeah pretty much, if I'm flying in circles I'll trim otherwise I just deal with it. Especially in the Arrow, the electric trim isn't fast enough to make it worth while, and manually trimming is even slower.

No time to trim in an RV. When you think about turning you are done. :D

Kidding! :rofl:

No need to trim in an RV in turns. Light on the stick. :dunno:

I kind of like the feeling of back pressure on the yoke. Makes me feel like I'm commanding the airplane, and I feel like it would be far more work to change the trim twice rather than just holding back pressure.

And, it feels better to be holding back pressure on the yoke in a turn rather than pushing forward on the yoke coming out of the turn, then trimming; similar to why I don't trim when doing stalls.

I kind of like the feeling of back pressure on the yoke. Makes me feel like I'm commanding the airplane, and I feel like it would be far more work to change the trim twice rather than just holding back pressure.

And, it feels better to be holding back pressure on the yoke in a turn rather than pushing forward on the yoke coming out of the turn, then trimming; similar to why I don't trim when doing stalls.

Depends on the plane and angle of bank/speed. In some, so much back pressure is required that it removes your ability to make fine adjustments and you won't be able to hold altitude as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the only times I'm not in trim or trimming are in the rotation and in the flare.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much, if I'm flying in circles I'll trim otherwise I just deal with it. Especially in the Arrow, the electric trim isn't fast enough to make it worth while, and manually trimming is even slower.

Yeah exactly...my CTSW doesn't exactly have the control forces Henning's twin does, so it';s not worth it. I can see it for bigger planes though.

I chose "Generally only if the heading change is at least X (whatever you like X to be)," which is closest to my actual answer: "When thermalling." But I've never flown an aircraft where much force was needed.

I don't trim in turns. Think it's easier not to, just going to have to trim all the way back again after a few seconds of turning.

I don't trim and just hold it. That's been the way for me in the following aircraft;

C-152,
C-172,
PA-28,
PA-44,
PA-34,
P-180,
CL-65,
B-727.

Only if I'm changing airspeed or configuration (which is when you're supposed to trim), and it has nothing to do with IFR/VFR, degrees of turn, bank angle, etc. Otherwise, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Re: Do you trim elevator in turns?

My specific question relates to commercial training and 60d steep turns, i.e. do you routinely dial in some set amount of trim for a steep turn?

But I decided to go ahead and poll the more general question. All questions start with "Generally" because we all know that every situation is different. I am curious what y'all do in general or much/most of the time. Also, you can choose multiple responses because the choices are not mutually exclusive.

Thanks.

You are allowed +\- 10 knots, add more power.

If I'm doing 360's for some reason, I'll trim but otherwise no.

Back