Do you too dislike lying/cheating pilots? [mini-rant]

"Field in sight" on com is used for me is used interchangeably for both physical confirmation of "yes, I do see the field" and/or "I want/am ready for a handoff or frequency change" even though I may not physically have eyes on the runway.

Do it all the time especially when heading into an uncontrolled and wanna start makin me calls.

"Field in sight" call can also be used in lieu of "Hey dumbass, I think you forgot about me"

"Field in sight" call can also be used in lieu of "Hey dumbass, I think you forgot about me"
LOL I also got the "report field in sight" in lieu of "Hey dumbass, I think you are almost on top of the airport". :)
But seriously, flying in the TX haze here on a warm day does not help pick out an airport farther out than maybe 5 miles. At night I can see the beacon but daytime hazy VFR is not always easy if the airport is in a built-up area. Especially Hooks in Houston. I can never find the runway until I am actually pretty much crossing the localizer. :(
So yes, I too am sometimes forced to lie to ATC "airport in sight" to get "About dam time, dumbass! Contact tower". :)

I always lied when Washington asked me if I had VKX in sight. It sits in a valley and you won't see it until you're pretty much on downwind. I lied as soon as I got the surrounding area in sight.

The other fun one is when you're IFR. I'm bopping along and right over the top of the airport and ATC hasn't said anything. In VMC, telling them I have the airport is a prompt for, I'd really like a visual approach (or at least...are you going to clear me for an approach). Amusingly after doing so and handing me off to the tower, I apologized for popping up late and the tower told me "That's why they call them ENROUTE controllers."

Jeez, just realized I'm a chronic liar to ATC. I frequently report that I have my home field in sight, when in fact I generally have everything around but the field in sight (it's in a small, narrow, wooded valley). I've been known to report the airport in sight when I only had the island that the airport was on in sight. I mean, if I can find a four square mile island, how hard can it be to find the strip on it?

contact approach? :)

I always lie to ATC 'cause I were one once, and I know they're sneaky conniving bastards! :biggrin:

Back