Do you tip your CFI?

In beer, yes! I've been fortunate to have had nothing but fantastic CFIs in my training.

While active duty, the checkride fee was a case or a handle.

Do ya ever get new handles? Or are you stuck with the first one you get? Or do I have the whole handle thing wrong here?

Case of beer or handle of Jack Daniels, so yes we got new handles all the time.

You've never heard the term handle in reference to a bottle of liquor? It's one of the big ones, with a handle.

You've never heard the term handle in reference to a bottle of liquor? It's one of the big ones, with a handle.

It might be a regional term. I know I've heard it maybe just once or twice in my life, but I've moved around a lot. I haven't heard it in a long time, and it's certainly not in my normal vocabulary.

What service? USAF there was no "fee" for a checkride. At least my expperience.

Air Force. All contributions went to the Bar. If you are/were “heritage room” era you may not even have experienced alcohol in the building, much less beer in the debrief and at roll call.

Air Force. All contributions went to the Bar. If you are/were “heritage room” era you may not even have experienced alcohol in the building, much less beer in the debrief and at roll call.

Is "Heritage Room" another name for "Squadron Bar"?

I got out in 2007. Not familiar with "Heritage Room" as a term.

I was in right after the transition from "Stag Bar" to "Casual Bar."

As I stated previously, the only "fees" were the $1 bill for the Dollar Ride (first flight) in the T-37, and a bottle to the IP who soloed you in the T-37.

I gave my CFI-I a tip after my instrument ride. He bent over backwards and put up with rescheduling the ride 7 times due to weather.

Should have tipped the DPE as they were the one with the issues with rescheduling

I'd tip whatever IF I can find a cfi. lol

I went through 6 years of hell to get my 3rd class medical and now struggling to find a cfi near me that had time. there's a flight school 2 miles from my house but all of their cfi are swamped apparently. ugh

I gave my CFI-I a tip after my instrument ride. He bent over backwards and put up with rescheduling the ride 7 times due to weather.
I had to deal with the DPE directly, not my CFII. I had reschedule 3 times because of weather and each time there was 3 week wait since the DPE was so busy. Re scheduling was my call the DPE said and it reflected on my decision making she told me. Like if I would have kept the appointment and tried to squeeze it in between bad weather she said she would have failed me.,

After I pass a check ride, I always gift the cfi who gave my sign off an aviation related gift, preferably something they expressed interest in. Glider lesson, helicopter lesson & float plane time.

During my PPL training, I treated to lunch a couple/few times. After my checkride, my instructor congratulated me with a nice bottle of tequila (kind of a flip flop of what's being discussed I guess - LOL). When I did my instrument, I did the 10-day PIC course. The instructor was at my house for the ground school stuff and I treated to snacks/lunch stuff/drinks at the house. At the end, prior to my check ride, I tipped my CFII a $150 or so in cash. I passed, they passed, it was all good and everyone was happy.

Cool. I flew for LAB back in the old days and was based out of Haines. That was some tough flying when the weather was nasty...

Skagway was always a fun stop if we had some free time.

Oh yeah, I got a tip after flying six big dudes and their railroad tools into Skagway. That was an interesting landing...
What years were you at LAB?

In the UK on an annual instrument reval buying coffee and sandwich seems to be customary. Otherwise no. you are a male your CFI is female?

OK after reading these few comments I am ok.
I wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of etiquette with Student/CFI working relationship like most/many service based sectors.

Very good points made here, thanks!
As any sort of regular or large tipping could put their judgement into question I'd say wait until your training with the individual is over with and then perhaps a modest gift and thank you note would be entirely appropriate.

I tried to tip the kid a few bucks on my last BFR a month ago.

He just credited it to the next lesson....

--Matt

Back