Do you think that aviation colleges would buy some LSAs for their aviation program?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
As far as I know, I think the only aviation college that uses LSAs in their aviation program is the Florida Institute of Technology. They bought 2 Remos GX LSAs a few years ago to see if any of their students whether majoring in aeronautical science or not to use if for sport pilot training or maybe even private pilot training. I don't know if they still have LSAs in their flight program or if they gotten rid of it.

This got me thinking. Why don't aviation colleges use LSAs for aviation students to use it for their primary flight training? They could use newer LSAs to get their private and instrument ratings maybe. Besides I think that most aviation colleges spend a lot of money on brand new aircraft with glass cockpits these days. And we know that comparing apples to apples, brand new SLSAs usually costs less to buy than a brand new glass cockpit 172 or Warrior. I think if aviation colleges want the latest technologically advanced airplane for the cheaper price, I think an LSA is the way to go in this situation. I think another benefit to the aviation students would be they could rent glass cockpit LSA more cheaply than a brand new glass cockpit 172 or Warrior.

What do you think? LSAs as a cheaper alternative to glass cockpit 172s and Warriors?

Re: Do you think that aviation colleges would buy some LSAs for their aviation progra

1. Used airplanes these days are fairly inexpensive.
2. You can't get a Private, Instrument, Commercial certificates with a LSA
3. Easier to rent/buy a 172 then a LSA

Re: Do you think that aviation colleges would buy some LSAs for their aviation progra

2. You can't get a Private, Instrument, Commercial certificates with a LSA

Your second statement is false. You can get a private and instrument certificates with an LSA. There is no regulation or FAR that limits LSAs to only allow students to get their sport pilot certificates.

Might have to look into the instrument part. I think think you could get an instrument rating in a legacy LSA if it is properly equipped. Not sure about the ASTM certified LSA's. I am about 90% sure you cannot fly them in actual instrument conditions. Seems like I have heard that you can file and fly on an IFR flight plan as long as you don't enter actual IMC. I could be mis remembering, so one would be advised to do one's due diligence.

Do students go to college to learn a hobby? Oh yeah, journalism degrees. Okay, get a fleet of LSAs

To answer your original question - NO
Why are you so hopelessly fixated on LSA's ????

This.

Same reason everyone else is, he can't get a medical.

Might work if you could run it so anyone off the street could get a student loan for sport pilot training without being a matriculated student. Of course not enough people care anyway. As for their own shiny jet syndrome addled aviation students there is no point.

Might have to look into the instrument part. I think think you could get an instrument rating in a legacy LSA if it is properly equipped. Not sure about the ASTM certified LSA's.
I am -- you can. Just did it with a trainee. But it has to have all the 91.205(d)-required instruments and equipment, and must have current 91.411/413 altimeter/static and transponder checks, and the IFR XC must be done entirely in VMC. And, of course, the trainee still must have a medical valid as Third Class or better.

I am about 90% sure you cannot fly them in actual instrument conditions
With the exception of the two LSA airplanes which are approved for IFR (one of the Zodiacs and the SportStar Max), you cannot fly an LSA in IMC (although you can fly them in actual instrument conditions as long as you remain in VMC).

. Seems like I have heard that you can file and fly on an IFR flight plan as long as you don't enter actual IMC.
That's correct, with the restrictions stated above, but only for IR training and the IR practical test. This is covered in FAA Order 8900.1.

BTW, there are some college aviation programs using LSA's for PP/IR training, but since there are no controllable pitch prop LSA's, you can't get the CP-Airplane in one, so no collegiate professional pilot program can use LSA's exclusively.

Last edited:

You don't have to fly actual ,for the instrument cert. ,an Lsa will work fine if it has the right avionics.

BTW, there are some college aviation programs using LSA's for PP/IR training, but since there are no controllable pitch prop LSA's, you can't get the CP-Airplane in one, so no collegiate professional pilot program can use LSA's exclusively.

That's good to know that there are some aviation colleges out there with LSAs to use for primary flight training. Can you give me some examples of those colleges with LSAs if you by chance know them? Just curious.

With the exception of the two LSA airplanes which are approved for IFR (one of the Zodiacs and the SportStar Max), you cannot fly an LSA in IMC (although you can fly them in actual instrument conditions as long as you remain in VMC).

huh? :confused:
I think your train of thought jumped the tracks.

huh? :confused:
I think your train of thought jumped the tracks.

I think Ron meant that you could fly IFR (not IMC) as long as you remain in VMC.

I think Ron meant that you could fly IFR (not IMC) as long as you remain in VMC.

Agreed!

Which can still be actual instrument conditions (i.e., you need to be on the gauges). Think JFK Jr. conditions.

Last edited:

You don't have to fly actual ,for the instrument cert. ,an Lsa will work fine if it has the right avionics.
...and the right instruments, and the right certifications (altimeter/static and transponder).

That's good to know that there are some aviation colleges out there with LSAs to use for primary flight training. Can you give me some examples of those colleges with LSAs if you by chance know them? Just curious.
Not without some research, and I leave that to you to do yourself as you can no doubt Google as well as I.

Back