Do you think my past with PTSD will have a negative impact to obtain my medical?

Caroline

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Caroline1991
Hi everyone!
I've been searching the internet for a while for an answer but haven't been able to find anything relevant to my situation.
I've always wanted to do something in the lines of aircraft. Growing up I was told to be a flight attendant, until I realized more females are getting into the profession. Like everyone here, piloting is a huge dream of mine. I obtained my class 4 very quickly and realized I got the wrong medical, so I've just applied for my class 1 (it's a long story haha).
But I'm nervous of one issue. When I was 21 years old, I was sexually assaulted by a man with a weapon (I'm sorry to get personal). I'm 25 now, it's in the past, it's not something I think about anymore. But at the time, I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression, went through the proper therapy and was prescribed Zoloft (I only used it for four months). Then my psychiatrist deemed me back as "normal" very quickly. So I've been myself for about three or four years :)
Depression is not something that runs in my family, but I'm nervous this mishap may affect my ability to obtain a class 1 hence ruining my dream.
I'm sure you guys won't know for sure, I'm just wondering about you opinions before I get the results.

Thank you everyone!

You have a Class 4? How did you get that? You are the first person I know who has qualified for one.
The OP is not from the US, at least she is not posting from the US...

To the OP, it might be good to clarify where you are from. Otherwise people here are going to answer in terms of US regulations.

Sounds like Canada. A Category 4 is pretty much like what the new FAA medical procedure (you get signed off by your regular doctor).
To get a Category 1 in Canada ( which is needed for many commercial flying, their Cat 2 is only used for ATC), any psych history (PTSD and Zoloft use are ccertainly going to qualify) is the equivalent of a US special issuance.

You need to find a very good aviation doctor in whatever country you're talking about.

Yeah, I am prone to assume a post on a site named Pilots of America is from the US if not stated otherwise.

And yes I do understand that Canada is in North America just like the US but in everyday speak, most of us are referring to the USA when we say or write America.

Hey again everyone!
I'm in Canada; I posted here because I find a lot of the Canadian forums are quite dead, and to be further anonymous.
I'm quite sure the Canadian and American regulations differ quite a bit, but thought they may also be quite similar.
Sorry for any confusion!

Hey again everyone!
I'm in Canada; I posted here because I find a lot of the Canadian forums are quite dead, and to be further anonymous.
I'm quite sure the Canadian and American regulations differ quite a bit, but thought they may also be quite similar.
Sorry for any confusion!
How's it going, eh? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Are you posing your question in regards to FAA regs or Canadian regulations?

How's it going, eh? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Are you posing your question in regards to FAA regs or Canadian regulations?
LOL! Not too bad, buddy. Drinking my Tim Hortons coffee while watching reruns of hockey :p

It could be either or, to be honest. Time will tell for sure when I get the results in about a month. I'm pretty nervous about it and was looking for even a tiny bit of input from other people's knowledge to know what to roughly expect :)
From what I read on some Canadian websites, they don't discriminate against SSRI's if you've been off them for over 4 months and continue follow ups with an aviation physician (something like that). But as a new applicant with a brief history of something like PTSD I'm thinking that could be quite serious. I've never acted reckless (started drinking, drugs, suicide attempts). I explained to the physician I knew there was a problem, didn't ignore it and took the steps to fix it.
Thank you so much!

This is my experience.....

I was prescribed lexapro (a different ssri) while going through a rough patch a few years back. The reason wasn't the same as yours, I was simply going through a bad breakup and my dr thought it would help. As far as the FAA was concerned for my class 3 medical was that it was for "external circumstances (or something along those lines)" and wanted a letter from the prescribing dr that outlines why he prescribed it. I received my medical with no problems or restrictions.

The US isn't Canada, and she's trying to get a Cat 1 not a FAA 3rd Class.

In the States and in Canada, Issuance of PTSD occurs when there is credible psychiatry testimony that the hypervigilince, starle reflex, sleep disturbance and disturbance to long term relationships, has resolved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back