Do you talk to yourself?

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
After making the move to flying a complex airplane, I find that I talk myself through most of the procedures during takeoffs and landings. I do this when I'm flying alone, or if I have passengers. I guess it's my way of trying to make sure I don't forget anything, but I was just curious if others do this as well. Normally I would probably feel self conscious if I were talking aloud to myself, but it feels natural to do it in the airplane for some reason.

I do talk to myself (at work) when doing a job.

However, I don't "talk" as in read the checklist out loud to myself in a plane . . . I say other things out loud to myself in the plane (like screaming on my first solo, or words on my first flight after becoming a private pilot and flying the plane solo back to O69).

However:

I did observe a pilot doing this talking out loud (checklist) thing, but that was probably because I was in the plane and he wanted me to know what was going on.

Kimberly

Sometimes it's an internal dialogue, sometimes it's out loud. But I'm always asking myself what I'm doing, what's next, and then what?

After making the move to flying a complex airplane, I find that I talk myself through most of the procedures during takeoffs and landings. I do this when I'm flying alone, or if I have passengers. I guess it's my way of trying to make sure I don't forget anything, but I was just curious if others do this as well. Normally I would probably feel self conscious if I were talking aloud to myself, but it feels natural to do it in the airplane for some reason.

To an instructor that is a good sign that you are not confident in yourself just yet -- a little nervous still :).

Always talking aloud even to passengers typically = looking for positive feedback that you're doing the right things.

It goes away as you become more comforatable flying any given plane.

Bob

I'm the best conversationalist I know. Aren't we, self? Yes. Yes we are!

I don't do it as much as I should. Talking does seem to help make things actually happen.

To an instructor that is a good sign that you are not confident in yourself just yet -- a little nervous still :).

Always talking aloud even to passengers typically = looking for positive feedback that you're doing the right things.

It goes away as you become more comforatable flying any given plane.

Bob

I don't know that I entirely agree with that. I'm working on the CFI stuff, so I am CONSTANTLY talking through everything when I am solo. In my case, it isn't a comfort thing.

I verbalize gear down, multiple times, when approaching to land, whether I am alone or not.

Yes, I do, especially for checklists, but sometimes just telling myself to work on line-up or hold altitude more precisely. And folks I knew in single-seaters in the Navy and Air Force said they were taught to do that, too (at least on checklists), so we're in good company.

"Today's condition upon rotation engine failure is an inflight emergency. I am going."

I was encouraged during training to "think aloud", in addition to reading or reciting checklists aloud. It's useful in training- most CFIs are not mind-readers, and the more they know about your thought processes, the better (and faster) they can help you along towards your training goal. This was also stressed for my stage checks and check rides.

I guess it became habit, because I still do it. When flying alone, I think it helps me concentrate. Especially when it's something like "Don't do that again, stupid!" :D

After making the move to flying a complex airplane, I find that I talk myself through most of the procedures ...

I do exactly that because I was told that during a commercial checkride I should explain what I will do before I do it, why I will do it, and continue explaining while I do it. That seems like a constant stream of chatter, and I practice it.

Besides practicing for a checkride, it seems like a good idea anyway, because I'll notice if I stumble for words. Stumbling tells me I don't know what I'm doing as well as I should.

No, I never get to. The voices in my head won't let me get a word in edgewise...

Yes, I do. I get it from my mother. As a kid, when I'd ask my mother
why she talks to herself she'd say "Because I can't find anyone
smarter to talk to". :D

I have always heard that if you talk to yourself, you are either crazy or rich, so I became a pilot. We all know pilots are both crazy and rich! The problem starts when you argue with yourself. Gets even more worse when you win!
Vocal checklists, call turns, call clearing turns, brief arrival. At least the checklist was part of the training.

Strongly recommended. Be your own copilot.

Bob Gardner

yes all the time. usually cussing about what a lousy pilot i am.

I have always heard that if you talk to yourself, you are either crazy or rich, so I became a pilot. We all know pilots are both crazy and rich! The problem starts when you argue with yourself. Gets even more worse when you win!
Vocal checklists, call turns, call clearing turns, brief arrival. At least the checklist was part of the training.

Gets even worse than that when you lose! That's when you start killing people because the Labrador said to....:eek:

I am always talking through what I am doing, have some repetitive chants for key points. Approaching the airport, I have a running narrative of what I am doing, and frequently saying "Gear still up."

"Gear down, in transit, green light, nosewheel [looking at nose gear position indicator on floor], mirror, mirror [looking at wingtip mirrors to see main and nose gear), confirmed gear down."

Stuff like that.

I talk to myself too.

My engine start checklist when I'm by myself is kinda one big long smashed together phrase...

"PreflightComplete,FuelBoth,Trims(while I'm down there with the shoulder belt loose),MixtureRich,PropellerHigh,ThrottleQuarterInch,AvionicsOff,BreakersIn(right to left flow),Beaconon,Masteron,Prime [pause... sqweeeee... Buuuurrrt.... Squeee.... Burrrrt....] Propeller... [open window] CLEAR! [look around and behind],NotGoingToBlowAnythingOver(yeah I say it),Ignition [wait for it to catch], OilPressure"

Or something like that. ;) Then I check it against the written card.

All the time!

Oh, you mean on the plane :)

Actually, one habit that I have not been able to shed from training yet is the whole "P&L are green, runway is clear" when on downwind, and "approach end is clear" when entering final. I say them out loud without thinking. It's kinda dorky, to be honest.

All the time!

Oh, you mean on the plane :)

Actually, one habit that I have not been able to shed from training yet is the whole "P&L are green, runway is clear" when on downwind, and "approach end is clear" when entering final. I say them out loud without thinking. It's kinda dorky, to be honest.

"P&L are green"?:dunno:

ADHD much? ;)

Kinda funny though. The P&L do kinda need to be green before taxiing up to the gas pump. ;) ;) ;)

"Uh ohh..." is another good one to toss out there when everyone is all relaxed....

I did something like that once. I took my dad with for the first time, and the wind got really bad, much worse than expected, and when we took off to fly home, i think i got hit with some wind coming around a hangar or something, because we went into an uncommanded steep turn, fairly low, and it took alot to stop the roll, and I let an "oh god" slip out.

My dad said he was fine and didn't think anything of it until the pilot said oh god haha.

Ha. I did that too. Dropped my pencil on the floor which wasn't that big of a deal and got my dad's rapt attention when I cussed myself for it. :rofl:

I find that "sh*t" is the universal word one applies to correct an unusual attitude or sudden gust on short final.

Wilson with his hand painted wry smile was my copilot. I talked to him a lot.

Then one day the passenger door opened in flight and Wilson left me. I cried.

I made the mistake once of saying "Ah, were not gonna make it " when coming in on short final, meaning I was going to have to add a touch of power to hit square on the numbers. My wife looks at me with eyes the size if dinner plates and says "WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE'RE NOT GONNA MAKE IT!!!"
I learned right then and there that sometimes, silence is golden.

Back