• Only when on fire...

Votes: 20 17.5%

• Total voters

AirBaker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
AirBaker
From the instructor thread, and a recent trip OUT of CA, I've forgotten how many people still smoke. My question is how many of the fellow POAers smoke?

Never have. Never will.

Though..I can tolerate it, but I hate it when I smell like smoke.

No way, no how. Just ain't gonna be happenin. Not in this universe or any other universe for that matter. I can't stand that stench at all to the point of holding my breath when walking past it. It's just NASTY.

Besides,
Smoke = Fire
Fire = IMMEDIATE unconditional aggressive response with fire extinguisher until fire is out and no longer a reignition threat.
If you don't think I'm serious, I have actually unloaded a fire extinguisher in someone's face before and seriously threatened a few others with the pin out. (In all fairness though, in most cases there were easily ignitable vapors or highly flammable materials in the immediate area at the time or it was on my private turf where I set the ground rules up front and they insisted on trying to violate them)

Last edited:
My first and last cig was when I was 7. You can guess that story.

I smoked a cigar on a bet at the county fair. I lost.

Do they still put ashtrays in Cessnas?

fgcason said:
I have actually unloaded a fire extinguisher in someone's face before

Mph... Snerk...

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :rofl: :goofy:

Frank, that's priceless... Do tell the rest of the story! :yes:

The bigger reason as to this thread, not to take a jab at smokers, was due to an observation in line at Denny's. We were waiting for a table, where the line was out through the smoking section. There was a family in the smoking section sitting down at breakfast, were everyone (teenage boy through grandparents) had their own ashtray.

Did for twenty-five years. Clean for 12. Didn't know how bad I stunk until I quit.

ejensen said:
Did for twenty-five years. Clean for 12. Didn't know how bad I stunk until I quit.
Pretty much the same story here... I didn't realize what a foul habit that was until I finally quit.

woodstock said:
ashtrays in Cessnas? really?

A lot of the planes built in the '70s had ash trays. My Commander has one... and the Cessnas I trained in had one.

wsuffa said:
A lot of the planes built in the '70s had ash trays. My Commander has one... and the Cessnas I trained in had one.

My 68 Mooney has 4 ashtrays and a working lighter. Lighter isn't in the plane anymore as it is now a 'power port'.

wsuffa said:
All Robinson helicopters come with the following placard as described in the limitations section of the POH:

NO SMOKING

I read an account by one of the "Low Level Hell" loach (OH-6A) pilots in RVN who described smoking in a loach. He'd stick a leg under the collective to prop it up, grabbed the cyclic with his left hand, and lit and smoked the cigarette with his right hand.

He would have been in a world of hurt if the turbine crapped out and he had to autorotate :hairraise:

My grandparents both smoked like chimneys. As a little kid riding in the back seat of their car in Minnesota with below zero temps outside vs smoke filled car inside, I used to roll down the window and hang my head outside. It was frostbite or hurl in the back seat...

flyingcheesehead said:
Do tell the rest of the story! :yes:

I put out some stupit idget who was smokin like a forest fire that tried to blowd me, some city guy, his wife and their RV with a leaking fuel tank to smithereens one evening in a camp ground.

Check your PM for the rest of the story.

I was lucky. My cousin is a doctor. When I was in junior high he showed me a 1/2" thick section of a smokers lung that he had in a glass case. Helped me avoid any urges to start. Especially in the service where it seemed everyone did.
Now I work on Oxygen concentrators. Most of our customers are or were smokers.

AirBaker said:
The bigger reason as to this thread, not to take a jab at smokers, was due to an observation in line at Denny's. We were waiting for a table, where the line was out through the smoking section. There was a family in the smoking section sitting down at breakfast, were everyone (teenage boy through grandparents) had their own ashtray.

I was fortunate to have two parents who didn't smoke and I never picked up the habit. My dad said that he tried it a few times when he was in the Air Force (WWII) but never got hooked and never smoked after that. I had some nearby cousins and both parents and all three kids smoked. Last time I checked only one of the three still smoked though.

Last year Georgia went no smoking indoors in public places (maybe bars are excepted). This totally eliminates the smoking/no smoking section hastle. Now I get freaked out when I'm in another state where these anachronisms still exists. I am solidly in the never smoked camp.

Above not entirely true. My first and about only cigarette was in the lav of a TWA Connie (most beautiful commercial airliner ever IMHO), I think flying from Midway to LAX. Some of my fellow baby boomers will remember that a little pack of 5 cigs was on the meal trays. Hard to believe now.

Padron

Cohiba

Opus X

Romeo y Julieta

Strict limit of two per month, usually served with a Talisker, Johnny, or a nice port.

James Dean

James,

Good Stuff!!!

I am a Fuente man myself for Dominicans, And Monti's or Cohiba for Cuban!

Will have to share sometime!

~Jay

Lance F said:
Above not entirely true. My first and about only cigarette was in the lav of a TWA Connie (most beautiful commercial airliner ever IMHO), I think flying from Midway to LAX. Some of my fellow baby boomers will remember that a little pack of 5 cigs was on the meal trays. Hard to believe now.
What a neat airplane that was! And yeah -- God help me I remember those 5 packs -- we also got them in RVN with C-rats...

woodstock said:

Liz...I know in the older cessnas that I have trained in had dirty ashtrays in them. Kind of like the stuff had been caked on for years.

woodstock said:

I have two which were OEM issues in the seatbacks of my C-172L Skyhawk. When I replaced the plastic seatbacks(obviously, of the pilot & copilot seats) I didn't "do" the sectional cutout for the ashtrays. Anyone want to buy them?

HR

Lance F said:
My first and about only cigarette was in the lav of a TWA Connie (most beautiful commercial airliner ever IMHO), I think flying from Midway to LAX. Some of my fellow baby boomers will remember that a little pack of 5 cigs was on the meal trays. Hard to believe now.

An old article but you'll be interested. These are just off the end of #22 at LEW(Auburn-Lewiston, Maine). Maurice is a very interesting guy who's done a whole bunch of projects and professions. His house is right beside the birds; the 2nd story, from the outside, looks just like an Air Traffic Control Tower. Spectacular house(on the inside) with large swimming pool near the master bedroom and other function rooms. The city has given Maurice **** re his request to taxi his smaller Cessna across his lawn/field in order to taxi onto Runway 22. No such permission.

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-maine_starliners.htm

HR

Last edited:
Yep, smoke, have since I was 14, and probably will until I'm smart enough to quit.

My feeling: When smoking was pretty much open, if someone nicely asked me to put out my cigarette, I did, no questions asked. Now that my smoking is limited to the 4x4 square foot section outside any building, when someone asks me to put out my cigarette, I usually tell them to stuff it. It's their fault I have to smoke in that little area, and they can deal with me smoking in it.

At least in restaurants, we were limited to an area where non-smokers didn't have to inhabit. Now we smoke by the door. Its your fault, deal with it.

SkyHog said:
Yep, smoke, have since I was 14, and probably will until I'm smart enough to quit.

My feeling: When smoking was pretty much open, if someone nicely asked me to put out my cigarette, I did, no questions asked. Now that my smoking is limited to the 4x4 square foot section outside any building, when someone asks me to put out my cigarette, I usually tell them to stuff it. It's their fault I have to smoke in that little area, and they can deal with me smoking in it.

At least in restaurants, we were limited to an area where non-smokers didn't have to inhabit. Now we smoke by the door. Its your fault, deal with it.

Growing up in North Carolina, As a youth, I "primed" many 'bacca plants. Was not big or strong enough to hang it in the curing barns but tied my share to 'bacca sticks so it could be hung.
I know of more than 10 x-farmers that are actually paid by us taxpayers NOT to grow a crop. The allotment system is a crime if you ask me.
Unfortunately the current generation is not much interested in following in pappys footsteps and farms are being sold off to Real Estate developers at
an astonishing rate.
To do my part, I smoke , and smoke often, to help the farmers and RJR as much as possible. People quickly forget how instrumental the tobacco company's were in Building this country. If not for tobacco being grown and exported, we would have been a very cash poor country. How many colleges and university's were funded with "gifts" from tobacco money??
Can you say DUKE university, UNC, the FIRST University in the Country.
are just a couple that come to mind.
Who do you think owned the land that they sit on??
Now is it so politically incorrect to smoke... I say to the people that feel that way, you are ungrateful, selfish, and suffer from the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.
That being said, I do not smoke indoors in deference to those that dont smoke. I does stink up a house, all most as much as a cat.

Flame away....I need a light to fire up my ever present Camel
KD

As you can tell from the avatar, I'm an occasional cigar smoker. I enjoy the smell of the smoke from a good cigar as well as a lot of pipe tobacco (did the pipe scene while in university). Tried cigarettes once - no can do. Similarly tried chewing tobacco ONCE :vomit: My face was this color! Quite often have a cigar out doors while BBQing. Never smoke in the house and can go weeks without one.

Nope. Firefighters tell me that most deaths in fires result from smoke inhalation. Why would I do that on purpose?

My mom smoked like a chimney the whole time I was growing up, and continued to do so right up until the O2 became a fire hazard. Now, walking to the kitchen is (for her) like running a marathon race, and you can always find her in the house by following the little clear tube.

No, I don't smoke.

woodstock said:

Got one in each door...Well the passenger side one has been coveresd up with an incorrect placard on how to open the door and the pilot's side one is filled with *very dried out* sachet (sp?) by some previous owner, probably 20 years ago.

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
Nope. Firefighters tell me that most deaths in fires result from smoke inhalation. Why would I do that on purpose?

No, I don't smoke.

Ditto! Smoking, IMHO, is just a slow form of suicide. I think had my grandmother and father given some thought to how watching them die from that nasty habit effected the rest of us, they might not have picked up the things to begin with. My father did quit after his mother died from lung cancer, but the damage had already been done.

bstratt said:
As you can tell from the avatar, I'm an occasional cigar smoker. I enjoy the smell of the smoke from a good cigar as well as a lot of pipe tobacco (did the pipe scene while in university). Tried cigarettes once - no can do. Similarly tried chewing tobacco ONCE :vomit: My face was this color! Quite often have a cigar out doors while BBQing. Never smoke in the house and can go weeks without one.

That's the color my face turns when I smell cigar smoke. I was once stopped behind a car at a stoplight and the driver was smoking a cigar. His windows were rolled up, mine were rolled up, and the smell was still strong enough to make me nauseous. I have left restaurants a couple of times before ordering because someone, somewhere was smoking a cigar. And that's not because I'm a militant non-smoker; I can tolerate pipe and cigarette smoke up to a point. But cigar smoke is one of the very, very, very few things (the other being stomach flu) that can cause me to lose my appetite.

Judy

bstratt said:

Me too, Barry. The only problem is I can't tolerate the slight bit of nicotine anymore so I'm sticking strictly with an occasional Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story.

(The little one!)
http://arturofuente.com/our_cigars_hemingway_line.html

The nice thing is the trendies have moved on so you can get them again, and for a normal price.

SkyHog said:

Nick,

That is probably about the time my mom started smoking...all it took for her to stop was a heart attack (she was skinny before but has to loose about 50 pounds today but that is another story).

My brother and my sister in law stopped after she had a collapsed lung.

I had an uncle who got cancer in his mouth and lower jaw bone...eventually his entire jaw bone was removed, piece by piece, about 1 operation a year for several years. Eventually the cancer spread somewhere else and he withered away and died.

My maternal grandfather smoked about three packs a day...he wasn't much older than I am now when he had a heart attack...the doctor in the ER told me his heart was like mush...he didn't make it through that night.

My paternal grandmother got cancer in the lining of her lung...I don't think they had a treatment for it..that last year was rough and she couldn't even get out of bed at the end.

I could go on but I guess you get the idea.

Why risk your medical?
Why risk your life?

RE: Smoking in Aircraft...something in the smoke gums up the gyros in our instruments, the tar I guess....Many years ago a well known aviation writer mentioned that he and an aviation magazine editor both smoked pipes in their planes. When they gave up pipes they didn't have to OH the gyros in their aircraft as often.

Len

Last edited:
Back