Do you smoke?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Gotta watch how I answer the medical question "Do you smoke?"
My response - "Hell, yes!!!"

Just ran a batch of jerky thru the smoker that came out fantabulous!!! The only problem is that there's no way I can recreate the recipe...

1 beer applied to chef

2 lbs venison round steak, sliced into 3/8" thick slices

Marinade
- couple a glugs of soy sauce
- good dose of teriyaki sauce
- large shot of Montery Steak spice
- couple a shakes of garlic and onion salts
- big ol' dash of green tabasco
- smaller dash of red tabasco

1 beer applied to chef

marinade meat for 1 hour in the fridge, stir or mix a couple of times

1 beer applied to chef

preheat smoker to 250* with mesquite chips to get a good smoke going

1 beer applied to chef

reduce heat to 170-190*, rotate meat racks every 15 minutes

1 beer applied to chef

refill wood box at 30 minutes

1 beer applied to chef

send the kids to bed and hide the jerky in the back of the freezer. Be sure to hide at least 1 bag under the frozen vegetables, because the kids will find the rest within 24 hours

greg, seriously unless you are going to start mailing us some of this stuff you really got to stop telling us about it! :)

gkainz said:
Gotta watch how I answer the medical question "Do you smoke?"
My response - "Hell, yes!!!"

Just ran a batch of jerky thru the smoker that came out fantabulous!!! The only problem is that there's no way I can recreate the recipe...

1 beer applied to chef

2 lbs venison round steak, sliced into 3/8" thick slices

Marinade
- couple a glugs of soy sauce
- good dose of teriyaki sauce
- large shot of Montery Steak spice
- couple a shakes of garlic and onion salts
- big ol' dash of green tabasco
- smaller dash of red tabasco

1 beer applied to chef

marinade meat for 1 hour in the fridge, stir or mix a couple of times

1 beer applied to chef

preheat smoker to 250* with mesquite chips to get a good smoke going

1 beer applied to chef

reduce heat to 170-190*, rotate meat racks every 15 minutes

1 beer applied to chef

refill wood box at 30 minutes

1 beer applied to chef

send the kids to bed and hide the jerky in the back of the freezer. Be sure to hide at least 1 bag under the frozen vegetables, because the kids will find the rest within 24 hours

So Greg....what's your best tofu recipe?

gkainz said:
EDIT: Hide at least 3 bags under the frozen vegetables so you can bring at least 2 bags to Gastons.

I sure do. Got 30# of pork butt waiting for conversion to gently barbecued deliciousness. I've been doing ribs direct recently, direct over a low fire that is frequently tended. Best dang ribs I've ever made...

I did a charity catering event this past summer, 70# of pork and 50# of beef, on my rinky dinky little WSM. That, 8 pans of cornbread, slaw, beans...

This year I'm going to cook a turkey direct over the coals. I've got two to do, one wild turkey a friend bagged (and traded for 20# of pulled pork), one I'm going to pick up from a local farm. Brine, spatchcock, and cook with salt pork sitting on top of the skin, flip to render skin, serve. Very little smoke, maybe a hint of maple.

Now I'm hungry!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Not often enough - we (3 buddies and I) also do one competition a year.

That's me, trimming up just a fraction of what we ran through at this year's contest. (What you can't see are the 4 kegs that ran through us.)

Attachments

• lenexa2006.jpeg
    lenexa2006.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 22
astanley said:
I sure do. Got 30# of pork butt waiting for conversion to gently barbecued deliciousness. I've been doing ribs direct recently, direct over a low fire that is frequently tended. Best dang ribs I've ever made...

Uh, request. Go to the fling this year and do some up for us?

astanley said:
This year I'm going to cook a turkey direct over the coals. I've got two to do, one wild turkey a friend bagged
I'm sure you know, but remember that Mr. Wild Turkey is extremely lean when compared to his pen raised nonflying captive cousin, Uncle Butterball... unless you mean smoke a turkey while sippin' some Wild Turkey ...? :drink:

Yup. Each bird will spend the night prior in a modified buttermilk brine, and then be placed over the coals (seperately), ribs down and with diced up salt pork (fat back to the southern types) on the skin - fat will render and permeate skin. I'll cook the bird to 155F internal, measured in the breast, and then carve.

Easy pickin's...

Cheers,

-Andrew

As I type, we (F&AM lodge) have 2,300 lbs of butts smoking. I came home to rest before heading back at 6:00 tomorrow morning. The pork comes off at 8:00 which gives us 3 hours to pull it before the sale starts at 11:00.
Last weekend we made 75 gallons of slaw.

kevin47881 said:
As I type, we (F&AM lodge) have 2,300 lbs of butts smoking. I came home to rest before heading back at 6:00 tomorrow morning. The pork comes off at 8:00 which gives us 3 hours to pull it before the sale starts at 11:00.
Last weekend we made 75 gallons of slaw.

Nothing like cooking in quantity. My father and I routinely did large caters for 2500+, back when he did corporate foodservice. I couldn't eat barbecue chicken for a solid week after mixing 4500# of chicken breasts in barbecue sauce. Ugh.

Cheers,

-Andrew

It will be a long time coming before I indulge in BBQ. After dishing out over 800 orders, and personally making over 50 gallons of iced tea, my BBQ days are on hold :)

Scott, I know you libs are big on recycling but I don't think it was meant for threads on a web board. :D

Smoke from cigarrettes acts as an irritant in the lungs, and causes localized inflammation. During this process, specialized cells called macrophages invade the lungs. They make a specialized enzyme called elastase, which as its name implies, breaks down elastin fibres. Elastin fibres are what gives the lungs their springiness and forms the myriad little closed sacs, called alveoli, in which gas exchange occurs. Once these fibres are digested they never reform, you don't make elastin (the building block of elastic fibres) after the age of three...

...months. Therefore, every time you smoke you destroy some of the ability of your lungs to absorb oxygen, and you can never get it back. If you smoke, stop right now. If you know a smoker, make them stop right now.

Smoke from cigarrettes acts as an irritant in the lungs, and causes localized inflammation. During this process, specialized cells called macrophages invade the lungs. They make a specialized enzyme called elastase, which as its name implies, breaks down elastin fibres. Elastin fibres are what gives the lungs their springiness and forms the myriad little closed sacs, called alveoli, in which gas exchange occurs. Once these fibres are digested they never reform, you don't make elastin (the building block of elastic fibres) after the age of three...

...months. Therefore, every time you smoke you destroy some of the ability of your lungs to absorb oxygen, and you can never get it back. If you smoke, stop right now. If you know a smoker, make them stop right now.

Didn't read the thread did ya?

One post has been removed from this thread and is under review for personal attacks. Another post quoting the post in question has also been removed.

Back