Do you participate in FAASTeam Wings Program?

Do you participate in the FAASTeam Wings Program

• Yes - Just Started

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes Basic

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Yes Advanced

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Yesl Master

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • NO

Votes: 30 39.0%

• Total voters
Great program! I have no idea where my level is. As I finish one, usually one expires. Some of the modules are quite lengthy, so it's difficult to make the time to complete them. But the knowledge is golden and well worth your time.

I've dabbled, taken some courses.. but it's just too complicated to follow.
How about a poll choice that says "good idea and good classes, but just to complicated to follow"???

Last edited:
I have been participating the last 3 years. I have learned a great deal and it keeps me proficient and I enjoy the courses, although they expire yearly and I have to redo. But, that's ok, I am 68 and I need the repetition. Helps keep me sharp.

I have been participating for awhile. I was up to Wings Level 6 in the old program, then had to start over with the new version. The knowledge courses are pretty easy to accumulate. The flight portion is more difficult. I have a couple of basic levels and one or two advanced (can't remember for sure off the top of my head). You don't have to just stay in one level.

I'm doing the tasks anyway so I like to document it but, find it more of a chore each year to get the data and documentation in.... this year's waiting.....

Got 15 phases total including the complete 10 set Wings originals and old SeaWings plus the new ones.

I've gone to several of the seminars locally and will continue to do so if my work permits. The problem is that they schedule them for Monday night and for 2/3 of the year I have a teaching assignment Monday nights.

But actually participate in Wings for flight review credit? I signed up for the program once a few years ago and found it so difficult to work their website that I gave up. So I voted NO!

Are most people voting no because the site isn't very intuitive or voting no because???

I have done some of the knowledge stuff and local seminars. I am glad I am not the only one who has had a tough time trying to understand how to use the website.

How about a poll choice that says "good idea and good classes, but just to complicated to follow"???

+1 sort of.

I loved the old wings program. Simple and effective.

Then they had to go and screw it up.

The new program is a bureaucratic nightmare...especially when it was first introduced. It's gotten better but it was initially so off putting that I haven't really returned.

Also, the last two seminars I attended were a complete waste of time (both in the last 6 months). Especially the last one "the day the music died." I think that may have been the final straw.

My poll choice "I try...but please bring back the old WINGS".

I showed up for a FAAST seminar last night along with about 30 others but the FAA presenter was no where to be found.

He had sent the invitation and two reminders out for 2/21 but had put 3/21 on his own calendar. Unbelievable how something so simple can get so screwed up.

ahh, I guess most of you are going to the in person seminars then and not enjoying those?

Do any of you do the courses online / recorded seminars?

I do it because it comes for free with CAP check rides. I have never figured it out though. I attend a few seminars and that seems to make Wings happy.

I will be attending my first local seminar on the 26th of this month in hampton, VA. Figured I'd go check it out.

I've done some of the better and more well-attended courses as they are convenient. I don't follow the 'program' fully because A) I don't own my own aircraft (many owners get insurance discounts for Wings attendance); and B) the carrot of satisfying the flight review requirement isn't really that appealing -- I'd still have to go fly an hour with a CFI. That being the case, I'd prefer to just do a full FR with the CFI to knock it out.

I did 4 phases under the old program, and have done 3 under the new program (2 basic, one advanced, and half way through my 2nd advanced program).

I agree, it was simpler under the old program, and I was reluctant to get going under the new program. Fortunately, one of my airplane partners is also a CFI-I and a FAAST Team rep, and he got me going again in the new Wings program a few years ago.

Now that I'm in it, I don't think the new program is particularly defective, but it does require the CFI to be a bit more involved with tracking the student's progress on the FAA website. Some CFI's don't seem to be "up" on the new program, which I think is the real issue folks are having. The website could certainly be improved, but once you've been through it a couple times, you figure it out. I'm afraid if they started messing around with the website they'd be just as likely to make it worse.

As far as problems with in-person seminars, that is local issue, and it is really up to the local pilot community to "make it happen". The Fullerton Airport Pilot's Association and the SoCal Pilots Association (HQ'd at John Wayne Airport) each hold monthly meetings, the vast majority of which count for Wings credits, and we have a couple different ways of getting folks signed up for Wings credit at the meetings. We've had a whole bunch of great seminars in the past year, including Rod Machado and Mike Busch.

Jeff

I've done some of the better and more well-attended courses as they are convenient. I don't follow the 'program' fully because A) I don't own my own aircraft (many owners get insurance discounts for Wings attendance); and B) the carrot of satisfying the flight review requirement isn't really that appealing -- I'd still have to go fly an hour with a CFI. That being the case, I'd prefer to just do a full FR with the CFI to knock it out.

What most folks don't realize is you can knock out all of the "flight" requirements in one somewhat longer flight (I think a well coordinated flight could do it in 1.5 hrs), or 2 or 3 shorter flights, spread over a year. If you fly with a CFI 2x per year, it is very easy to stay current with the flight phases of the new Wings program, and the flights could be spread anytime during the year. It becomes more of a "rolling currency" thing instead of needing to remember to do a formal FR every 2 years.

Bingo!

Are most people voting no because the site isn't very intuitive or voting no because???

The process is too convoluted and inconvenient.

+1 sort of.

I loved the old wings program. Simple and effective.

Then they had to go and screw it up.

The new program is a bureaucratic nightmare...especially when it was first introduced. It's gotten better but it was initially so off putting that I haven't really returned.

Also, the last two seminars I attended were a complete waste of time (both in the last 6 months). Especially the last one "the day the music died." I think that may have been the final straw.

My poll choice "I try...but please bring back the old WINGS".

There you go. The old WINGS program worked fine. I've attended a few presentations, but the rest of it tended to get put on the back burner. Something about work getting in the way. That, and the seminars are sufficiently far away that I'd be better off flying to them, but then there's no place to tie down at the venue. I'll just keep flying with my CFII now and then.

No.
They screwed up the program and now I'm too far gone to care to figure it out.
I *might* go to a local seminar, but I seldom hear of them ... so infrequently that there is NO way I could have discerned the "Monday" scheduling pattern that Azure did. :rolleyes:

I had taken some online classes and that was ok but the in person classes never got credit for them so i quit.

Its great to go for cookies and talk to aviators but useless otherwise.

Its great to go for cookies and talk to aviators but useless otherwise.

That is the opposite experience of what I've experienced for 80% or more of the ones I've attended. The one I went to this week was a scenario-based review of IFR procedures. In a room with 70 pilots, over half of which were instructors and/or instrument-rated, I bet everyone left learning something important about IFR procedures, and what you need to think about before starting the procedure (i.e., going missed from a circling approach in mountainous terrain when you're no longer pointing anywhere near the direction of the published missed approach procedure).

I voted no because although I went to several of the seminars and did some of the online classes, I gave up on the program because I was constantly being taught material I had already learned elsewhere. It was consuming my time but not providing me any safety benefits.

For me, the value of a BFR or other voluntary periodic review provides a much greater safety benefit relative to the time and money invested.

New tid-bits are always great in any venue, but the reality is that any flight training of a properly rated pilot, whether classroom, online, or in the air, is going to have a lot of review, and that is fine.

I vastly prefer the online courses for efficiency and cost (zero $). But I've also attended virtually every in-person seminar commonly available as well, so I now get that review in other, more efficient ways.

A well done BFR will usually qualify for the flying portion of the new Wings Program. Add an online course and there you go for a phase qualification.

I would love to attend more of the seminars but they're never close to home.
I've done the online courses but have never had the opportunity to follow through
with a complete course from beginning to end.

If its convenient, I go. Not a big deal about levels and the rest of the hooplah but I do learn things and it did get me a discount with AVEMCO.

Cheers

I do and i attend seminars regularly. I'm fortunate that there are seminars almost every Saturday at FCM airport that draws 100+ people. There is a monthly seminar at SGS that seems to draw about 40+.

Most of the topics are interesting and I have learned quite a bit from voices of experience.

I also often find I am the youngest by about 20 years too.

About 90% of my training does not get validated by the instructor. Most of my instructors don't do it. I do the Wings programs, but very slowly and with most of my stuff not counting. I don't attend live seminars anymore. I do them online.

I used to participate in WINGS each year at annual recurrent training at SIMCOM. For a couple years when the program changed, credit wasn't given even though I did training that should have qualified. Seems to be straightened out now, and I get credit but has that anything to do with FAAST team presentations? It's normal annual recurrent training.

Best,

Dave

I would love to attend more of the seminars but they're never close to home.
I've done the online courses but have never had the opportunity to follow through
with a complete course from beginning to end.

The longstanding AOPA Air Safety Foundation courses can typically be viewed and then tested by the applicant, for an online certificate record and print-out in about an hour or two max.

The selected course can be stopped anytime for breaks and resumed at will.

I guess I am one of the oddballs here. Compared to flying and trying to keep up with all the rules, etc., understanding the WINGS website is a cake walk. And, for those who can't attend live seminars, AOPA has many courses that qualify, Pilot Workshops has many, the FAA has several free courses on line, and I am sure there are others. Getting the knowledge work done is very easy. The flight part isn't difficult, you just have to have a CFI who doesn't mind getting on a computer and validating the credit. An hour flight can satisfy many credits, and most of the time, I get all the flight credits knocked out in one flight of an hour or so. The new program is a little more complicated than the old, but not all that difficult to understand.

I do and i attend seminars regularly. I'm fortunate that there are seminars almost every Saturday at FCM airport that draws 100+ people. There is a monthly seminar at SGS that seems to draw about 40+.

Most of the topics are interesting and I have learned quite a bit from voices of experience.

I also often find I am the youngest by about 20 years too.

Are you going to the one next weekend at KSTP? I'm going to be in St. Paul for the next 2-3 weeks and was thinking of going to pass the time. I've never attended a Wings seminar before, so I think it would be something to do.

Are you going to the one next weekend at KSTP? I'm going to be in St. Paul for the next 2-3 weeks and was thinking of going to pass the time. I've never attended a Wings seminar before, so I think it would be something to do.

You mean the one below? I wasn't really planning on it but I have been to ones at Exclusive Aviation before. They put on a good show.

Title: Takeoffs & Landings: Preventing an Accident
Topic: Takeoffs & Landings: Preventing an Accident
Date and Time: Saturday, March 2, 2013 , starting at 9:00 am Download Calendar File
Speaker(s): Woody Minar, Danny Blaha, Jason McCann
Brief Description:
Takeoffs and Landings continue to be the leading causes of accidents. DPE, Master CFI, CFI of the Year, and FAA Safety Team Rep of the Year Woody Minar will give a presentation - Takeoffs & Landings: Preventing an Accident (a very popular seminar given at Oshkosh). Learn how and why takeoff and landing accidents occur and how to prevent them through tips on improving your skills.
Select Number: GL1548270
Location of Seminar: Exclusive Aviation
607 Eaton Street
Hangar #607
Saint Paul, MN 55107
Directions to Venue:
Exclusive Aviation Flight School is located on the southeast corner of the Downtown St. Paul Airport (Holman Field). Travel to the end of Eaton Street, until you come to a gate. (On the right side of the gate you will see an Exclusive Aviation banner.) Continue through the gate, take your first left, our facility is on your left.

View Map
Fly-in Seminar?: Yes KSTP
Seating: 100 seats at the facility, 84 remaining for online registration.
Registration Information:
Click here to register online now!
Sponsoring Division: Minnesota FAASTeam
Contact Information: JASON MCCANN
Phone: (952) 484-7944
jmccann@exclusiveaviation.com
Additional Seminar Information & Acknowledgement of Industry Sponsor(s):
Thank you to guest Speaker Woody Minar, from Exclusive Aviation.

Directions:
Exclusive Aviation Flight School is located on the southwest corner of:
Downtown St. Paul Airport [Holman Field]
607 Eaton Street
Hangar #607
St. Paul, MN 55107
Office Number: 651/450-6200

Travel to the end of Eaton Street, past the airport control tower, Signature Flight Service, and other businesses and hangars until the road ahead is blocked by a gate. You will see a banner to the right of the gate with our name (Exclusive Aviation) on it. There has been road construction on Highway 52 in the area with ramps closing/opening occasionally, but there should be enough signs to help you get into the airport.

Enter the gate, and take the next left to hangar 607. You can park in the back of the hangar. The door should be unlocked, so give it a pull and come on in. If it is locked, you can ring the small lit doorbell and someone will come and let you in.

That's the one. I might as well check it out since I will have nothing better to do.

I guess I am one of the oddballs here. Compared to flying and trying to keep up with all the rules, etc., understanding the WINGS website is a cake walk. And, for those who can't attend live seminars, AOPA has many courses that qualify, Pilot Workshops has many, the FAA has several free courses on line, and I am sure there are others. Getting the knowledge work done is very easy. The flight part isn't difficult, you just have to have a CFI who doesn't mind getting on a computer and validating the credit. An hour flight can satisfy many credits, and most of the time, I get all the flight credits knocked out in one flight of an hour or so. The new program is a little more complicated than the old, but not all that difficult to understand.

This,

I participate as a pilot and instructor. I renew my FR using Wings and renew my CFI using Wings.

I urge all my students to request Wings credit for the flying we do. 3 required flight credits for FR renewal can be accomplished during the tailwheel training.

When I instruct a FR I always use the Wings program. If everything goes well, all 3 flight credits can be done in a 1.5 hour flight. Doing 3 online credits substitutes for the 1 hour of ground instruction. Easy/Peasy and cheaper for the Reviewee.

I attend seminars and have to go up with a CFI every six months so why not turn all that activity into WINGS credits? I've never had to do a BFR.

Just got back from my first seminar...learned a lot about runway incursions, and how easy it can be to "slip up" and get your certificate suspended. I plan on attending more.

Back