Do you own your own airplane? Wacha got?

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 36
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 52
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 44
Bill chose wisely (and Brent too).

1986 Mooney 252. :smilewinkgrin:

Attachments

• mooney 001.jpg
    mooney 001.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 33
  • mooney 002.jpg
    mooney 002.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 40
newpaint.jpg

1969 Cherokee 140 with the good ol' droop tips. 3220 TT. This is right after my "in hanger" paint job. You just can't beat 8 gph if your in no big hurry...

But why, if you're not in a hurry? Cherokee speeds are about 8 gph in pretty much any single I know of...

I can probably do better than that at Cherokee speeds. On a good day, I get 155kts at 8.5gph.

I have about 75 hours in an M20B ...and 4 hours in a M20J with the Missle conversion on it. I flew out of a grass runway with the Mooney and always got the same response....more so because it was the 180 with a 2 blade long prop vs the 3 blade which gave more clearance. It was a blast and I miss flying the Mooney...my dream plane would be a new one!

Mike

1982 Sorrell Hiperbipe. Fast, Fun and slightly different!:D

Attachments

• calander 08-3.jpg
    calander 08-3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 26
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 27
Here is a shot from the "front office". Have a great New Year! P1010090_2.JPG

Okkay...while we're doing that, here's one I took today in cruise.

Attachments

• N55ZCpanelinflight.jpg
    N55ZCpanelinflight.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 45
:DAlas; I have no "Crusing Shots"..

Most of my pics are either going straight up or straight down...neither view is palatable to most pilots :yikes:

Nice pics Walt and JM!

Hoping everyone starts the New Year with a Bang...!:D

Chris

While human error is easily possible with the manual wastegates, I actually would prefer them.

Actually, so would I. :yes: That way, if you don't need the turbos you don't have to run them, and you can have them effectively stopped well before landing so you don't have to sit on the ramp with the engines running to cool them down.

The system I'd really like to see would be automatic wastegates with a manual override towards open - Best of both worlds.

Actually, so would I. :yes: That way, if you don't need the turbos you don't have to run them, and you can have them effectively stopped well before landing so you don't have to sit on the ramp with the engines running to cool them down.

The system I'd really like to see would be automatic wastegates with a manual override towards open - Best of both worlds.

The turbos are still running irregardless and you don't "shut them off" as in stop their spinning. With the waste gate fully open you aren't producing boost pressure.

The turbos are still running irregardless and you don't "shut them off" as in stop their spinning. With the waste gate fully open you aren't producing boost pressure.

Right, but you're not spewing large quantities of very hot gases into the turbine... The point is that you won't have to worry as much about cooling after landing.

Right, but you're not spewing large quantities of very hot gases into the turbine... The point is that you won't have to worry as much about cooling after landing.

The turbo is always operating, just at a reduced capacity with the wastegate open. There is no way to "shut off" the turbo with the engine running, what is happening some exhaust gas is being bypassed but not all.

So the same shut down proceedures will apply.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastegate

A wastegate is a valve that diverts exhaust gases away from the turbine wheel in a turbocharged engine system. Diversion of exhaust gases causes the turbine to lose speed, which in turn reduces the rotating speed of the compressor. The primary function of the wastegate is to stabilize boost pressure in turbocharger systems, to protect the engine and the turbocharger.

http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/doc/turbocharger.pdf

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/aircraft/modifications/compress-your-power.html

http://ma3naido.blogspot.com/2007/10/aircraft-systems-high-altitude.html

http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/Trainin...ARGING AND TURBOCHARGING.ppt#289,28,WASTEGATE

The waste gate is on the boost side, not the exhaust inlet side. All you are doing by opening the wastegate is not supplying boost pressure to the engine, the turbo is still operating.

So the normal cool down/shut down is required.

Corrected the wording in my previous post.

Not fair. Unwritten but often invoked forum rules require that you leave the previous post intact, then use subsequent posts to rationalize, defend, deny, parse, nitpick, obfuscate and berate.

Oh, wait, that's another board. Sorry

Here's one of mine:

Attachments

• Porterfield_r1.jpg
    Porterfield_r1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 50
Own a Grumman Tiger and a RLU-1 Breezy. Also a SGS 2-33 and 1-26.
Regards,
Mike in NJ
DSCF0879-s.jpg

But why, if you're not in a hurry? Cherokee speeds are about 8 gph in pretty much any single I know of...

Yeah. "Crusty" told me to power back if I'm just lolly-gagging. I never think to do that. (I think I can only get down to 12 GPH or so at 55%.)

Here's mine. '76 Lance.

Attachments

• DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Just my li'l ol' Ercoupe. It's in pretty nice shape and I've been having a blast with it since I purchased it last September. Here's a shot of it on the ramp at KMQS (Chester County Airport, PA) one Saturday in November while on a lunch-run for a $$$ hamburger. But at less than 5 GPH, those burgers aren't all that expensive. :D

ercoupe-preflight-walkaroun.jpg

Back