Do you own a Piper Cherokee 6XT (PA-32-301XTC)?

dfw11411

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dfw11411
I own a 2006 Piper Cherokee 6XT (PA-32-301XTC). Piper only made 51 of this turbocharged model. If you own one and would like to join an informal group of 12 other 6XT owners to share information, DM me.

I have a low time aviator friend who just bought a PA32-301XTC (N447KC). His insurance is needing him (and anyone else who flies the plane) to receive 2 hours of instruction from a CFI who has at least 15 hours in the PA32-301XTC and at least 1000 hours of PIC…that is the way the policy reads.

Do you know of an instructor who meets these requirements? It may be easier to pay someone to fly out to train with him than to wait for his regular instructor to get 15 hours of time before he is allowed to instruct in it.
Thanks for any input.
Scott Roberts
Queen Creek, AZ

I own a 2006 Piper Cherokee 6XT (PA-32-301XTC). Piper only made 51 of this turbocharged model. If you own one and would like to join an informal group of 12 other 6XT owners to share information, DM me.

Not an owner but curious about your thoughts/experiences with the 6XT. Any second thoughts or regrets on not getting a retract?

I have a low time aviator friend who just bought a PA32-301XTC (N447KC). His insurance is needing him (and anyone else who flies the plane) to receive 2 hours of instruction from a CFI who has at least 15 hours in the PA32-301XTC and at least 1000 hours of PIC…that is the way the policy reads.

Do you know of an instructor who meets these requirements? It may be easier to pay someone to fly out to train with him than to wait for his regular instructor to get 15 hours of time before he is allowed to instruct in it.
Thanks for any input.
Scott Roberts
Queen Creek, AZ

Scott,
Since that's such a rare model, it's going to be hard to find a CFI with time in that specific model (as you've found).

However, airplane insurance is VERY negotiable. I bet if you found a CFI with decent experience in other PA-32 models, he could talk to the insurer and see if they'd accept.

For example, I don't have any time in that exact model. But I do have good amounts of time in the 1980's model fixed-gear turbo model, and in the mid-2000's retract turbo model. So with some simple negotiation, I bet they'd allow someone with similar types of experience.

This type of negotiation is very routine. Never take what the policy says as the final word, it's more of an opening offer for discussion.

According to Piper, it's actually a Saratoga II TC with fixed gear, so you are correct in that the insurance company might be persuaded to consider a much more common type. Unless the new owner needs a high performance endorsement, it's really just familiarization training. And that model probably has the Avidyne Entegra panels. If he doesn't have glass cockpit experience, that will also be a consideration.

FWIW I gave him my CFI's contact info as he does meet these requirements.

Not an owner but curious about your thoughts/experiences with the 6XT. Any second thoughts or regrets on not getting a retract?

Absolutely not! :) It would have almost doubled my insurance premium and added only about 5 knots. I have thought about mounting a fake gear lever and see if my passengers notice!

I really enjoy flying my Cherokee 6XT. I bought one with air conditioning to encourage my family to fly with me. In south Texas, having AC on the ramp during the summer is nice. It's a very forgiving airplane. Hard to get into a tough situation and easy to land. I cruise at about 125 KIAS so she's not fast, but faster than my C172.

Thanks for any input.
Scott Roberts
Queen Creek, AZ

I have enough time in one, but live halfway across the country from where you’re at. I expect you’ll either be able to negotiate with the insurance underwriter to open up the CFI requirements or find someone much closer than I am who can help you out.

I have enough time in one, but live halfway across the country from where you’re at. I expect you’ll either be able to negotiate with the insurance underwriter to open up the CFI requirements or find someone much closer than I am who can help you out.
Thanks, I appreciate you reaching out.

Back