Do you like the bigger or mini ipads better?

:yeahthat: I got my iPad solely for aviation, but now that's 10% or less of its usage. It's the single most useful piece of technology I've bought in 30 years.
(And rebought three more times!)

Were it not for Foreflight, Apple would not have seen a dime of my money. Now I have an iPad2 and iPhone5 and thinking about 6 or 6+ or mini.

My iPad is the default computing device for me at home.

Were it not for Foreflight, Apple would not have seen a dime of my money. Now I have an iPad2 and iPhone5 and thinking about 6 or 6+ or mini.

If you're still on the iPad 2 treat yourself to the iPad Air 2....you'll be REALLY happy! Performance difference with ForeFlight will be astounding.

I've got an iPad 2 and iPhone 5. After transitioning to a Cutlass, which to me is more of a go-places airplane than a Skyhawk, I would like to mount an iPad, but it's a no-go in that plane.

So I've been thinking about a mini in a yoke mount. I know I can look this up, but does anyone know off hand how many devices you can have on one Foreflight subscription? If it's two, I might eliminate my phone and just have it on the iPad and the mini.

I've got an iPad 2 and iPhone 5. After transitioning to a Cutlass, which to me is more of a go-places airplane than a Skyhawk, I would like to mount an iPad, but it's a no-go in that plane.

So I've been thinking about a mini in a yoke mount. I know I can look this up, but does anyone know off hand how many devices you can have on one Foreflight subscription? If it's two, I might eliminate my phone and just have it on the iPad and the mini.

If I recall, it's two iPads plus an iPhone.

I've mounted my full size iPad to the side window in lots of airplanes, including 172s and Mooneys without a problem.

My sunglasses are polarized so I can't use anything in landscape mode because the iPad screens are all,polarized. And I don't feel like spending another $$$ just to get non-polarized sunglasses for flying. Hence the mini in landscape is pretty much useless for me. The size is great, works perfectly on the yoke of the cherokee, but all I see is a black screen.

I like the 7" Android tablet in my RV-6 for charts since the size is a perfect fit for the small cockpit of the RV. In fact I'm using it right now to post this. Someday I might buy a larger tablet for use around the house, but for now my 53yr old eyesight is still plenty good enough for the small tablet.

That is likely what I would get for a strict aviation unit and use Garmin Pilot with it backed up on iPad.

Go to Garmin Pilot, and you prep yourself to interface with the GTN series radios as well, the architecture is the same. With Blue Tooth function added to the GNS series radios, you will also be able to control those through your iOS or Android device with the same GTN format inputs. This makes putting a complex clearance amendment into the radio 'on the fly' a much simpler procedure.

I have both and it did not take me long to figure out the mini works better. It is mounted on the yoke and it is the perfect place for it in my Mooney. The mini 3 offers nothing of consequence over the mini 2 so I would recommend the mini 2 and save some money. Hopefully the mini 4 will have the same anti-reflective screen as the air 2.

Just got a mini2 + otterbox + xgrip, digging it.

Another question I have is if I go with the mini, is it still easy to look at approach plates while I'm shooting approaches?

I like the fact that the mini is yoke-mountable, but I'm afraid the smaller screen size could be an issue.

I'm stuck between getting an Ipad Air or a Mini 2 (I realize there is the Air 2 and the Mini 3, but I don't need the latest & greatest due to the fact that the Air 1 and Mini 2 are a bit cheaper :yesnod: ).

Another question I have is if I go with the mini, is it still easy to look at approach plates while I'm shooting approaches?

I like the fact that the mini is yoke-mountable, but I'm afraid the smaller screen size could be an issue.

I'm stuck between getting an Ipad Air or a Mini 2 (I realize there is the Air 2 and the Mini 3, but I don't need the latest & greatest due to the fact that the Air 1 and Mini 2 are a bit cheaper :yesnod: ).

Mini3 and Air2 only give you TouchID over the lower end models. Air2 also gives you the latest processor. Apps may be able to take advantage of the 64-bit processor in a couple years, but I don't see that happening anytime soon due to backward compatibility issues.

Mini3 and Air2 only give you TouchID over the lower end models. Air2 also gives you the latest processor. Apps may be able to take advantage of the 64-bit processor in a couple years, but I don't see that happening anytime soon due to backward compatibility issues.

I believe that someone also mentioned the Air2 is much better about not having glare from sun-reflection. Also, the 64gb may make it worthwhile (I've also read not to have below 32).

I believe that someone also mentioned the Air2 is much better about not having glare from sun-reflection. Also, the 64gb may make it worthwhile (I've also read not to have below 32).

Get all the memory you can.

but all I see is a black screen.

You must have the Joo Janta 200 Super Chromatic Peril Sensitive iPad...

From the Hitchhiker's Guide to IFR Flying... "The Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive iPads have been designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. They work by turning completely dark at the first sign of danger, thus preventing you from seeing anything that might alarm you while in IFR flight."

Gotcha.

You can by an Air2 with 64gb for $599, or buy it with 128gb for $699. Would you say the 128gb is worth the extra money?

Depends what you are going to use it for. Mine is Foreflight, Air navigation pro (for mexico) and a couple games. I get by just fine on 16GB. I can't imagine I would ever use 64GB, much less 128GB. Just not that kind of user.

In the C182, I have my Mini mounted in a RAM X-Grip suction cupped to the left windscreen (lower right corner is even with the Airspeed indicator, and the upper third is eye level).

Absolutely no issues seeing the IAP's on the Mini. During the briefing portion, I'm zooming and panning as needed.

During the approach, I have the profile section prominently displayed (slightly zoomed) so I can easily see the key items.

From your various posts, it appears you are getting close to your checkride. So here is some advice that might be pretty key: DON'T GO INTO YOUR EXAM NOT HAVING PRACTICED FLYING WITH THE IPAD. Using the iPad for chart reference is enough of a change that at first, it is a major distraction. It's too easy to get fixated (intentionally and unintentionally) on the Pad and you let your flying get out of standards. If this occurs on the checkride the DPE is going to quickly see that, then never say anything while he sees how far you get out of standard.

For me, that's too much risk of a bust. So additional practice flying to the PTS while managing the iPad is highly recommended.

In the C182, I have my Mini mounted in a RAM X-Grip suction cupped to the left windscreen (lower right corner is even with the Airspeed indicator, and the upper third is eye level).

Absolutely no issues seeing the IAP's on the Mini. During the briefing portion, I'm zooming and panning as needed.

During the approach, I have the profile section prominently displayed (slightly zoomed) so I can easily see the key items.

From your various posts, it appears you are getting close to your checkride. So here is some advice that might be pretty key: DON'T GO INTO YOUR EXAM NOT HAVING PRACTICED FLYING WITH THE IPAD. Using the iPad for chart reference is enough of a change that at first, it is a major distraction. It's too easy to get fixated (intentionally and unintentionally) on the Pad and you let your flying get out of standards. If this occurs on the checkride the DPE is going to quickly see that, then never say anything while he sees how far you get out of standard.

For me, that's too much risk of a bust. So additional practice flying to the PTS while managing the iPad is highly recommended.

I've not yet flown IFR with an iPad, but I would think using paper approach plates for the checkride would be less risky.

Another mini convert: I picked up a mini/retina/cell and added it to my Verizon plan this month. I have a few hours on it using a RAM yoke mount and I'm happy with it so far. It fit's better on the yoke and obscures less of the panel than the iPad2, which has been demoted to home use.

I bought 128gb mini . . . . Foreflight runs great, has all my music on it and I can put 20 videos on it if I so choose . . . . and still have 15gb left . . . plus it fits in a bag easily. And does not cover half the instrument panel when I fly.

I've not yet flown IFR with an iPad, but I would think using paper approach plates for the checkride would be less risky.

Good. My point is to use for the checkride the tool that you're 100% comfortable with and proficient at.

One nice bit about paper is the ability to scribble on it when you hear an important NOTAM on the weather broadcast (like say the PAPI or VASI was OTS). It would make it real simple to quickly write this on the paper, and then change any key info (like vis requirements) so you don't have to rely on swiss cheese memory during a busy time.

Yes, you can do this within FF, but not as easily as paper.

I mount my mini on my yoke with the iPro Navigator mount. I've got pretty bad vision, but it's right there and easy to see with my glasses. No problem on approaches.

I've decided I'd like to purchase an ipad and either get Foreflight or Garmin Pilot, but I'm torn between getting an ipad air, or an ipad mini 2. I think I'd rather have the normal sized ipad, as I think it'd easier to see everything on the screen, but a mini will cost $100 less, not to mention it's lighter weight and takes up less room in the cockpit.

What are your thoughts on the two?

I wish I had bought the mini... the other is too large for my cockpit.

Looking at the Apple site, the Mini 2 only goes up to 32GB. The Mini 3 goes up to 64 and 128, and doesn't even have a 32.

I love the iPad Air - these are a bit smaller and noticeably lighter than the old ipads. The screens are actually larger than the old iPads but they shrank the bezel, which makes it narrower.

I fly with my iPad in portrait and with the RAM mount oriented "upside down" such that more of the iPad is below the yoke than above (the home button/charge port are at the top). Works well I think. The only thing obscured on my panel is carb temp.

I like the larger real estate of the iPad Air over the mini (we have one of those too). And since I use it for more than just flying, that helps in other areas also. With the full size Ipad, every button you push is bigger and that makes a difference when bumping along in the airplane. But there can be a trade-off with panel obscuration.

Don't worry. While I'm getting fairly close to the checkride, there's still a bit of training left to practice with first.

Looking at the Apple site, the Mini 2 only goes up to 32GB. The Mini 3 goes up to 64 and 128, and doesn't even have a 32.

The Air1 comes with 32gb, which is what I was considering getting.

The Air is only ~1.5" taller and 1.3" wider than a mini, not the end of the world. Your cockpit is more important - will the mini fit between the yoke handles, or on the side window, and not the Air? Cut out cardboard shapes of the two and experiment with your sight lines. Or take other pilots flying, with their Air or mini, and see how the different sizes work.

I went from a laptop in the right seat to a Nexus 7 which just fits on my yoke, better fits off of the side window, and with lots of space on the center control column. It is easy to adjust display size for any position but I like higher mounts better than lower/lap mounts.

I too was concerned about buying the smaller size but found it a non issue in flight plus easier to carry and use away from the Deb.

Check the Refurbished ones on the Apple site. (Or eBay... or Amazon's Used listings) I just got a 128GB Mini 2+Cellular for $539 Apple Refurbished which is much better than the $729 for the Mini 3... and since I keep it in an Otterbox case I can never use the TouchID anyway. (Looks like the 128GB refurbished with cellular are sold out right now)

I recently got a mini 2 retina 128GB cellular from the refurbished store for about $550 +-.

I now fly with two iPads. Ha. Not kidding. Can't seem to part with the ol' iPad 2 so o just keep it updated and charged. Use the mini.

Depends what you are going to use it for. Mine is Foreflight, Air navigation pro (for mexico) and a couple games. I get by just fine on 16GB. I can't imagine I would ever use 64GB, much less 128GB. Just not that kind of user.

Agreed. I bought two 16GB Minis and only use them for flying or the occasional web browsing (I'm and Android guy normally). 16GB is more than enough for Aviation use only. I run Foreflight and Aviation W&B on both units.

I now fly with two iPads. Ha. Not kidding. Can't seem to part with the ol' iPad 2 so o just keep it updated and charged. Use the mini.

I'm in the same boat. I left it on iOS 7 and use it for lots of non-aviation stuff as well as a back up.

John

Bigger is better for us old guys,fly with the I Pad air,with fore flight and stratus 2 ,can't be happier.

Back