Do you let other pilots land your plane?

First time I flew a particular legacy LSA taildragger (name withheld to protect the guilty) I misjudged the height off the ground during the flare (it appears to sit a lot higher than my little ride) bumped and pushed in the noise lever to go around. The instructor pulled it back out and said to never add power because it could cause loss of directional control.

I just nodded and said thanks for the information (and salvaged the landing).

:dunno:

Throttling up to go around will cause a loss of directional control? What kind of instructor is that?

It'll cause a loss of lateral direction alright. Because the direction will be up.:)

Throttling up to go around will cause a loss of directional control? What kind of instructor is that?

It'll cause a loss of lateral direction alright. Because the direction will be up.:)

haha yeah, better just accept crashing the thing because we wouldn't want to "lose directional control". Where do these people come from?

haha yeah, better just accept crashing the thing because we wouldn't want to "lose directional control". Where do these people come from?

No doubt.

I guess that's where I don't meld with some people because if an instructor like on a BFR told me we can't firewall it because we'll lose directional control then I'd probably say something terrible before I could stop myself like "what are you a ****ing moron or something?." :lol:

No doubt.

I guess that's where I don't meld with some people because if an instructor like on a BFR told me we can't firewall it because we'll lose directional control then I'd probably say something terrible before I could stop myself like "what are you a ****ing moron or something?." :lol:

I agree! When I first started, in a champ, the instructor saved a few of my attempted landings with just a little throttle and the stick. He never went around. I later used this whenever I got caught in a gust, etc. It works very well. However if a go round is necessary and the CFI made a statement like this I'd consider him-her to be a real dullard and flail them severely with my riding crop. ( I wish I had a 180.)

I agree! When I first started, in a champ, the instructor saved a few of my attempted landings with just a little throttle and the stick. He never went around. I later used this whenever I got caught in a gust, etc. It works very well. However if a go round is necessary and the CFI made a statement like this I'd consider him-her to be a real dullard and flail them severely with my riding crop. ( I wish I had a 180.)

I don't think the 180 market ever goes 'soft.' Not for a good one.

There's plenty of old 180's you can pick up for 50,60,70,80 grand but you'll spend thirty grand or more bringing it up to the 21st Century and getting everything you want.

It wasn't clear that he knew that I was going to go around, but he seemed pretty adament that the blast of air over the rudder idea was exactly the wrong thing to do.

In the end, I got the required magic phrase / signature in my log book. :dunno:

It wasn't clear that he knew that I was going to go around, but he seemed pretty adament that the blast of air over the rudder idea was exactly the wrong thing to do.

In the end, I got the required magic phrase / signature in my log book. :dunno:

How does more air over a flight control you can move with your feet equate to "loss of directional control"? Seems like your feet would determine that.

How does more air over a flight control you can move with your feet equate to "loss of directional control"? Seems like your feet would determine that.

Maybe the IP was thinking (inappropriately) about high HP aircraft where the right turning tendency overwhelms the rudder?

Maybe the IP was thinking (inappropriately) about high HP aircraft where the right turning tendency overwhelms the rudder?

Right turning tendency? Is it a Wilga?

I usually have to add in copious amounts of right rudder to overcome the turning tendency to the left in my Cessna...

But anyway. I think you just swapped directions. And the question still perplexes me. I've not flown anything with enough horsepower to completely "overcome" the rudder.

And if I knew it had THAT much power, I probably wouldn't need full throttle for a go around (or a standard takeoff for that matter).

I think I'm with those who say this instructor needs a whack upside the head. But I'm genuinely curious about WTH he was thinking.

If there's any loss of directional control it would appear to be between the control manipulator's brain and feet and we all deal with that every time we push the throttle up.

If it were a Corsair or a Hurricane then yes maybe you don't want to firewall it because P factor might flip you on your head but those are a thousand horsepower or more.

I usually have to add in copious amounts of right rudder to overcome the turning tendency to the left in my Cessna...

But anyway. I think you just swapped directions. And the question still perplexes me. I've not flown anything with enough horsepower to completely "overcome" the rudder.

And if I knew it had THAT much power, I probably wouldn't need full throttle for a go around (or a standard takeoff for that matter).

I think I'm with those who say this instructor needs a whack upside the head. But I'm genuinely curious about WTH he was thinking.

If there's any loss of directional control it would appear to be between the control manipulator's brain and feet and we all deal with that every time we push the throttle up.
Yup, left turning tendency. Oh well. The IP was out of limits...
me, I just push on the foot rest thingies...

That's all I could figure. We were behind a mighty Continental 65 after all.
One of those times I just kept my mouth shut, did my time, and got the signoff.

Why didn't you just ask him??? Maybe he has a really good reason none of us are familiar with. Or he needs a whack upside the head. None the less, should've asked. I tell my students the only stupid question is the one you don't ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its hilarious. One pilot not only let me fly his plane, but he would sit in the back seat too. :rofl: (Not a tandem airplane BTW)

Fun times. :D

Then when test flying a 177B after 7 years of storage the retired Air Wisconsin pilot sits in the RH seat. After shutting down his words are "how do you do that so well?"

Last edited:
So this is how I handle this situation. If I'm flying with someone in my plane I will offer to let them fly the approach and tell them the numbers/technique they should use. I tell them up front I will take over on short final. If things are looking stable and I feel good about it, I'll say "go ahead and land"... If things are not looking good I'll say "okay my plane I'll finish up here" without embarrassing them. And then I try to not embarrass myself :lol:

Back