Do you have an aviation themed room in your house?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I want aviation decor in my home office and looking for ideas.

I have a friend that is a photographer and has a room with tons of antique cameras on decorating shelves. I was toying with doing something similar but with antique avionics.

Would like a nice framed US VFR sectional maybe. I see a lot of high quality areial photos on canvas.

Do any of you have this type of stuff?

Wish to share photos?

My son's room is aviation themed. He has toy airplanes all over it. Paper, balsa, lego, Hot Wings, you name it.

My son's room is aviation themed. He has toy airplanes all over it. Paper, balsa, lego, Hot Wings, you name it.

Ha. Yeah, my son's is too.
much more child like than what I am seeking.

Although after he is asleep I may or may not sometimes go in his room and play with his planes.

Wish to share photos?

My current office pictured. Last office had a big wall on which I had a national aviation map.

Attachments

• DSC00395.JPG
    DSC00395.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00396.JPG
    DSC00396.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 91
Toilet.jpg

:D

Ha. Yeah, my son's is too.
much more child like than what I am seeking.

Although after he is asleep I may or may not sometimes go in his room and play with his planes.

I keep a model 747SP, paper airplane, and flying pig on my office bookshelf. Is that better? The pig is an old inside joke from a really bad team building exercise, but the other two are visual aids.

one wall i have vfr sectionals mounted for half the country.also have 172 cockpit poster on another wall. Framed pictures of my aircraft owned. and a cork board with various pins and wings.

As I'm single and fly Giant Scale RC - pretty much EVERY room is "aviation related". But as far as General Aviation, my office at home has an "altimeter" clock, and a framed photograph of a fly in at Long Beach airport from the 20's

My "office" at home is a mess right now, but it has a jig, and a bunch of ribs in it.
does that count?

Nope. I'm rather spartan. I think I have 3 pictures hanging in my entire house.

Darn right I do. It's about 90 % complete but I still need to hang some planes from the ceiling and put up some pictures that I've taken through the years.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    539.1 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    598.2 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    494.2 KB · Views: 80
We have frames with sectionals and corresponding Fotos for that specific sectionals. :yesnod: We were thinking about hanging the Michigan charts (we received two of this nice chart that covers Michigan on both sides of the chart) in our living room too... :D

We have various swag to hang in the hangar: Race plaques from the Navion convention, some posters, a 1951 Washington Sectional, Some Australian charts from when we were there, a pseudo antique airline sign, ...

I have a space room (with a Photoshopped floor and ceiling. It's a work in progress.)

big-library.jpg

big-gemini.jpg

apollo-wall.jpg

xplanes01.jpg

Last edited:
My sons room has two sims in it. His (FSX) and mine (Elite). We also have a library of books.

I have a friend that is a photographer and has a room with tons of antique cameras on decorating shelves. I was toying with doing something similar but with antique avionics.

Would like a nice framed US VFR sectional maybe. I see a lot of high quality areial photos on canvas.

Wish to share photos?

I do but it's not intentional. It's filled with wheel pants mounts, slightly cracked spinner bulkheads, old sectionals, avionics manuals, oil, a piper hand brake etc ..

Where did you get that Florida sectional?
I haven't seen them by state. I want one like that of Texas
its actually made up of several sectionals. 2 Kalamath falls, 2 San Francisco, 2 Los Angeles. then cut and taped together.

My wife's 2nd grade classroom has hot air balloons/airplanes hanging from the ceiling. The alphabet is painted or I should say "sky written" around the room. She has an RV-10 flag with last name on the outside of her classroom in the hall.

I used to, then the house went up in flames. I'm still trying to decide what to do with a curled Sensenich prop I've got..

I have an aviation theme in my house. A bunch of unfinished home projects and a flight bag in the truck that gets used whenever I feel the urge to actually do any of those home projects. ;)

Our den/bar has aviation art on the walls and R/C airplanes hanging from the ceiling: a 182 and a Zlin-looking plane, inverted. I'm wanting a prop to put over the French door.

The room is called The Flight Deck Lounge and Liars' Club.

I'm working on one now. Jay and Mary Honek have an entire aviation themed Motel.

I have a wooden model of a C124 that my dad flew, plus large wood carvings of United Airlines pilot uniform wings. Also on one wall is a WWI propeller and clocks showing the time in several world cities where I have lived.

I covered the hallway in my old building in WACs of the west coast. Some of the scientists were under the impression that they could fly any old heading they felt like. I put up the WACs to make the point that there is a lot of restricted airspace in the way, and not taking that into account would result in a lot of unplanned turns and some very angry observers.

The point was made long ago, but I left them up. People quickly started to use them for road trips. No problem using 2006 WACs for driving…

They were also excellent examples of very compact representation of information. There is a TON of information in a chart, almost enough to make a complete flight in good VFR weather. The GUI folks never learned that lesson.

AFAIK, the charts are still there. Very expired, but they look cool.

Wide Area Chart. Skyvector can be made to show them. They use a scale of 1:1 million, compared to sectionals which are 1:500K.

Showing the whole west coast in sectionals requires a huge wall.

I thought it was World Aeronautical Chart

Back