Do you have a TBO limit?

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Is there some number over TBO where you will perform a major overhaul even if the engine isn't making metal, etc... Do you overhaul at TBO regardless of the state of the engine? Are you any less comfortable in the plane as the hours past TBO increase?

Age aint nothin but a number. Ive flown in planes past TBO, mid time (my plane), and less than 100 smoh. The one 100 SMOH is the one that most concerns me. I bet most planes that are not over TBO have far surpassed the calendar time frame but nobody seems to bat an eye much about that. Id fly mine past TBO if it makes it and is ageing well.

I’m over TBO now, which is 2000 hours. Plan to overhaul on condition. My company runs their piston engines hard and have approval by the FAA to run to 2700. I figure at 3000 I’d be getting tempted should I get anywhere close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent maintenance with regular oil changes, oil analysis, engine data analysis, and boroscope exams mean much more than any arbitrary TBO number. An overhaul can cause unintended complications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there some number over TBO where you will perform a major overhaul even if the engine isn't making metal, etc... Do you overhaul at TBO regardless of the state of the engine? Are you any less comfortable in the plane as the hours past TBO increase?

Yes to all the above, it depends on the specific engine make/model and how it has been flown.

I have seen 2000 hour Lycomings with over 4500 hours on them. They did have top overhauls but high time bottom ends.

TBO calendar time is only meaningful to commercial operators due to regulation. I seen many engines 10-20 years beyond calendar time and running as expected. Mike Bush has written volumes about this and convinced many to overhaul based on condition and not TBO metrics.

Compressions good? No unusual oil burn? No metal in filter or screen? Makes static power? Why mess with it?

Everyone always seems to assume they're going to have an engine that actually makes it to TBO. I've overhauled more engines that haven't come anywhere close to TBO than ones that have.

If this is an engine you've been around for a while and actually pay attention to how it is running you'll know when it is time to pull the plug on it.

The Lycoming TIO-540-AK1A in my (captioned) plane has a TBO of 2000 hrs or suggested 12 yrs. I don’t believe the time deadline is that hard of a deadline for this year model, though. The rubber alternator belt is buried inside the engine, which seems to make a case for having a life limit on some parts. Air box gaskets are paper, and mine only lasted 12 yrs, so all the things like that all begin to add up.

I understand later model year engines like mine, maybe 2007 or 2009 and on have more of a hard deadline of the 12 yrs. Some engine parts, maybe bearings or whatever have an actual life limit of 12 yrs. In this case, a mechanic might have issues being involved with such an engine past it’s 12 yr TBO or maybe not be able to sign off an annual on a 12+ yr old engine that hasn’t reached the 2000 hr milestone. I’m no mechanic, so not real sure.

My TBO is about 18 hours. After that my performance is questionable until I get copious volumes of coffee or a decent nap.
Beats mine. I usually get up between 7a-8a and I start winding down around 10p.

At Airventure, I walked out of a seminar yesterday entitled “Engines and TBO” held in the Continental Motors exhibit. The talk abstract was “Is your engine approaching TBO? Better understand what TBO means for your engine, and gain in-depth knowledge about engine care, preventive maintenance, and maximizing flight time while approaching TBO.”

They handed out free bottles of water, which I appreciated, but the Alabama good-ole-boy speaker annoyed me with a presentation that insisted that the manufacturer knows best and you should not go beyond TBO. One reason given: coatings will wear off at TBO. Another, tolerances will worsen.

He also reminded listeners of the 12-year time limit, and said you should honor it because of seals, gaskets, and hoses.

I can’t see any reason it isn’t ok to do overhauls on condition instead of time, and relying for condition on inspection of oil filter contaminants, used oil analysis, borescope images and maybe an examination of lifters and cam.

The Alabama dude also said that every engine makes metal, and not to worry unless it has a serial number.

He said that your brother or uncle or grandpa or grandma can do an overhaul, but only the factory can do it for zero time.

I learned nothing from him, and was annoyed by his attitude, so I stood up from my front row seat and left after 20 minutes.

There is also a competing presentation Friday by Mike Busch, which I’m sure will say to do it on condition and that going beyond TBO is fine because the engine is more reliable at ten hours beyond TBO than at ten hours hour after overhaul.

Last edited:
My engine is 22 years since OH and 1400 hours. According to 7 years of past oil analysis it could go another 22 years and 1400 hours. We shall see. Although odds are more in the favor of upgrading before I get near 2000.

My engine was at 2680 hours and 52 years and still running when I broke it down for overhaul. I don't recommend waiting that long, but 2680 and 12 years I wouldn't blink twice at, if there are no other signs.

Typically 35 years old.

Oh wait, was this about airplanes ;)

So....how old does this look? Is it time for overhaul? o_O

FYI...it was last overhauled in 1997. :eek:

Attachments

• AB3911A5-0057-4986-9285-57245DD8E0C5.jpg
    AB3911A5-0057-4986-9285-57245DD8E0C5.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 0A1D4797-540B-4AFE-91CD-3462DB880CA5.jpg
    0A1D4797-540B-4AFE-91CD-3462DB880CA5.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 25
I base it on condition. I've seen engines at 4,000 hours SMOH still running well, and I've seen ones that have had to get overhauled at 1,100.

Listen to what the engine tells you.

Reading the Mike Busch book on airplane engines now. Looks like a must read for every airplane owner.

Mike Bush has written volumes about this and convinced many to overhaul based on condition and not TBO metrics.

Compressions good? No unusual oil burn? No metal in filter or screen? Makes static power? Why mess with it?

That's it.

Mine was last OH'd in the early 80's. I put new cylinders on it (5? years ago) when we had the cylinders off, everything on the low end looked brand new, and we never find any metal. 12 years my ass.

I would rather go on condition,rather than some number of hours,recommended by the manufacturer. Every one treats and maintains their engines differently.

Back