Votes: 53 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • Desk Top

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Full blown floor sitter with multiple screens

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
I tend to use Mavericks for everything. I have even shot down a MiG with a Maverick. :yikes: I think the game has them a bit over powered.

Yeah I like the Mavericks. I have no idea if they're overpowered or not but this sim/game is a blast! Haven't played it in awhile due to lack of time.

Did you know that it's a scaled down version of the high-fidelity simulator used by the Air National Guard?

Worse than "I've only flown 747s for the last 20yrs"???

The worst was a guy I took up that wanted a bi annual so he could take his granddaughter up. I asked what he did and he said he was a fighter pilot. Dude looked about 80. So his first few landings he about killed me. So I finally asked when he flew last. He responded the South Pacific in 1945. :eek:

Last edited:
I forget which version I started out with on my Commodore 64 (FS2 or 3), but flying around the Statue of Liberty and in between the twin towers was a popular thing back then. The idea was NOT to crash into the buildings!

My favorite thing to do on MSFS 2002 was to fly between the antennas on the sears tower.....and take off out of meigs field.

One of my students plays EvE Online, Flight Sim and War Thunder. Where it's helped him out is navigation and IR work.

He is almost a natural at flying instruments and navigation.

I always sucked at flight simulator until I started training on a real airplane. Then I got pretty good at it but it was boring in comparison so I still don't play it.

Did you know that it's a scaled down version of the high-fidelity simulator used by the Air National Guard?

If memory serves their contract was to provide a desktop trainer to help ANG A-10A pilots transition to the A-10C, so I don't think it was the full-blown flight simulator, just a desktop avionics trainer. But still, there is definitely a government contract in there somewhere. ;)

I was sad when they decided not to do the AH-64A. When Wags invited me to the testers team, the reason he cited was my AH-64A experience. Of course, I've spent the last 8 years working on Mi-17s...how convenient. :D

My favorite thing to do on MSFS 2002 was to fly between the antennas on the sears tower.....and take off out of meigs field.

Yes! And then hop over to O'hare and Midway then back to Meigs, in a 182. Oh I almost forgot about trying to hit the Goodyear blimp over Soilder Field:lol:

If memory serves their contract was to provide a desktop trainer to help ANG A-10A pilots transition to the A-10C, so I don't think it was the full-blown flight simulator, just a desktop avionics trainer. But still, there is definitely a government contract in there somewhere. ;)

I was sad when they decided not to do the AH-64A. When Wags invited me to the testers team, the reason he cited was my AH-64A experience. Of course, I've spent the last 8 years working on Mi-17s...how convenient. :D

Oh ok, I thought the 'Desktop' simulator was more than just an avionics trainer:dunno:

"A-10C Warthog is the second module in the Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) series and follows the critically acclaimed DCS: Black Shark. Eagle Dynamics has been developing a high-fidelity Desk Top Simulation of the A-10C for the U.S. Air National Guard for the past several years, giving us a tremendous access to A-10C information. We were fortunate enough to work out an agreement with our client to release an entertainment version of this simulation"

I enjoyed learning about the Blackshark and flying it in the game but Yes the Apache would have been awesome! Anyone remember Jane's AH-64D "Longbow" game?

Last edited:
I have an ATC610 with recording chart. And a couple of PC setups with joystick and pedals.
Mostly just use OnTop any more for refreshing my instrument scan and doing procedures. Keeps me partly competent at least. I don't deliberately fly the plane into hard IFR anymore - but 'ya never know'.

Now, do I have nefariously deleted files on the PC?
Hoo baby do I. A ton of them.
It would keep a team of programmers busy for weeks to try and sort my drives out.
Now that pilot was computer savvy. If he were erasing his tracks he would have used a commercial wiper to deep clean the entire HD, not just hit DELETE a few times. They are wasting their time.

Me, I would have used a hammer and then toasted it over the burner on the stove.. But, that's just me.

A single hole drilled straight through the hard drive's platters is surprisingly effective. A lot of places use this as their secure drive disposal method.

The reason it works is the read heads ride a tiny air cushion over the spinning platter. Hole = no cushion.

The worse thing a CFI can hear when meeting a new student is "I know how to fly from Microsoft Flight Sim". :mad2:
Several years ago a C-150 was stolen out of 3B5(Turner, Maine). A young guy managed to hot-wire start the engine. He departed the airport and flew until the fuel exhaustion occurred - - over CANADA. He survived the off-field landing.
Previous flight experience? Microsoft Flight Simulator. The tragedy is that the plane's owner had totally rebuilt a salvage aircraft.

HR

Thank you!

http://motionsim.blogspot.com/

"I'm still sad and shocked hearing all these negative and false information about Captain Zaharie, in a degree, that I don't watch the news anymore.

I believe a terrorist wouldn't be quite as open as Captain Zaharie with his love and passion for flight simulations. Many commercial airline pilots from all over the world contact me for help in adding motion to their home made simulators that share the same interest as Captain Zaharie. I don't see that as a "threat", I see that as "for the love of flying." Let me point out one thing, race car drivers have motion simulators in their homes as well. Will they be deemed terrorists too?

I heard these past days about "logs" that were deleted... I'm sorry, how do they know that were deleted deliberately and not just because they are just "temporary" logs? The flight simulation software have many plugins that distribute data from the flight simulator "game" to all plugins that handle the virtual cockpit instruments, and guess what, all these are holding logs merely for performance feedback. As far as I remember unless I "save" a particular flight, the data for the session are lost as soon as I close the flight software.

Flight simulation is fun! One does not have to worry about the stresses of actually flying a plane with all the safety concerns, limitations and consequences that go along with commercial flights. FAA rules are very strict. It is also a very good tool to learn to fly an aircraft or virtually visit destinations anywhere in the world. However, it is completely different to actually get behind a yoke of an actual plane.

Adding motion to the simulator provides the pilot with realistic feedback about the planes reactions and makes the experience more immersive, this is called "motion cues". For a 6DOF steward platform like the one Capt Zaharie was building, a complicate math model is required that uses classic filters, to recreate the motion and the reactions of the real life vehicle or plane. The motion platform itself is nothing more than some robotic intelligent parallel actuators. There is nothing more to it."

Thanos Kontogiannis

Last edited:
Where ever you are, I'm hoping you are safe!

Many pilots contact me interested in making "home" simulators. Zaharie along with some others pilots actually used my motion controllers to upgrade the realism of their simulators by building motion platforms.
I feel saddened when I hear the news media with their "theories" of suicide and terrorism of Malaysia Flight 370 at the hands of Zaharie.

I have known him for over a year now and found him to be a good man, husband and father. He was proud of his expertise of do-it-yourself constructions, he even shared with me and a colleague (the now infamous YouTube video) that is being splashed all over the news about his energy efficient air-conditioner.

I'm sick and tired of the negativity the media is spreading about this man without any proof; just theories!

Thinking of you buddy!

Thanos Kontogiannis

Well said!

Last edited:
Back