Do you have a "jinxed" airport?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Another thread reminded me of the one airport that I sometimes fly into that seems to have it in for me. LOL

It is KCLW. I have flown into it maybe 8 times. I always have trouble spotting it from the air and more often than not do not like my first attempt at landing there and go around. It is almost 200 nm from my home airport so I don't go over there unless I have a reason to but a good friend lives nearby and, wouldn't you know it, I also ended up flying the Luscombe and the Luscombe's owner in there to look at another airplane. Needless to say, a go-around was involved.

They discourage training flights there and do not allow T&G at all so I never spend more time in the pattern than needed to get down. Next time I am over there, though, I am going to do some stop and taxi-backs until I get over the jinx.

Y'all have any place you fly that doesn't seem to agree with you?

Sort of.... it's actually a golf driving range south of Charlotte where I once landed my glider during a contest.

I returned to the contest the following year with a different glider. Ended up landing on the same driving range in the same spot. A golfer walked up and said that another glider landed in the same place a year or two ago... and there's a picture of it up at the clubhouse. :mad2: :lol: :rolleyes:

Stinson in San Antonio. Every time I stop there it's some kind of drama. first visit was a bit windy and a TW groundlooped while I was on base. Second time, the guy in the tug had to move my plane, but the parking brakes were on and he drug it about 6 feet before stopping. My final trip there I asked for an intersection departure in front of a fleet of small jets and two of them got cranky about it. After a big basketball game, and I was VFR direct Ft Worth, and as I'm going downwind to turn north, three of them are still sitting there on the runup waiting for their release. No more Stinson, although I think it's a nice enough place.

PWT. I save my worst landings for that airport. I think it is because I know that people in the café (where I'm typically headed when I land there) are watching and grading landings. :D

PWT. I save my worst landings for that airport. I think it is because I know that people in the café (where I'm typically headed when I land there) are watching and grading landings. :D

I gotta share a funny story from a buddy way back. He was in a C150 with his new wife, and on one of their first flights. So, they took a hop for a burger to an airport restaurant on a bright Sat, and wouldn't ya know, it was a horrible bouncer arrival with no excuses. So, as they are walking into the busy burger place, and all the pilots are smirking away - he speaks up in a loud clear voice: "OK, let's talk about what you did wrong on that last landing Jeanie". Oh man, she glared bullets at him! :D

N30, Cherry Ridge, in PA.
Every time I plan a flight there, the plane breaks or the weather gets crazy. Last time it was both the plane and the weather.
I'm trying again tomorrow.

Pearland, Tx...started in primary training, never made a good landing, and still either miss seeing the runway or get turned around looking at Hobby. I have no need to fly there, so I gave up on it.

Another thread reminded me of the one airport that I sometimes fly into that seems to have it in for me. LOL

It is KCLW. I have flown into it maybe 8 times. I always have trouble spotting it from the air and more often than not do not like my first attempt at landing there and go around. It is almost 200 nm from my home airport so I don't go over there unless I have a reason to but a good friend lives nearby and, wouldn't you know it, I also ended up flying the Luscombe and the Luscombe's owner in there to look at another airplane. Needless to say, a go-around was involved.

They discourage training flights there and do not allow T&G at all so I never spend more time in the pattern than needed to get down. Next time I am over there, though, I am going to do some stop and taxi-backs until I get over the jinx.

Y'all have any place you fly that doesn't seem to agree with you?

KCLW is 2 minutes from my house. I'm based out of KPIE.

I landed at KCLW once, on a flight with my instructor. Just after we cleared the runway and were taxiing back, we watched an ultralight takeoff, climb to about 200 feet, and then have the canopy fly off, shatter, and rain debris down on the field. The pilot managed to get it down as his buddy on the ground with a hand-held asked the other planes in the pattern to give way.

And you're right, the field is a bear to spot from the air. I was astounded how difficult it was to find. It's kind of nestled in there.

N30, Cherry Ridge, in PA.
Every time I plan a flight there, the plane breaks or the weather gets crazy. Last time it was both the plane and the weather.
I'm trying again tomorrow.

The weather and N30 beat me down again today. sigh.....
Maybe Thursday.

KCLW is 2 minutes from my house. I'm based out of KPIE.

I landed at KCLW once, on a flight with my instructor. Just after we cleared the runway and were taxiing back, we watched an ultralight takeoff, climb to about 200 feet, and then have the canopy fly off, shatter, and rain debris down on the field. The pilot managed to get it down as his buddy on the ground with a hand-held asked the other planes in the pattern to give way.

And you're right, the field is a bear to spot from the air. I was astounded how difficult it was to find. It's kind of nestled in there.
I am based out of PGD, and though I never have flown into CLW, I love flying into PIE. Flying over the skyway bridge, and the approach over Tampa Bay to 18L is awesome. My jinxed airport in BCT, for some reason I always have a hard time finding it, though once I do I cannot figure out why it was so difficult to find.

The curse is broken!

I finally made it to Cherry Ridge (and back) without incident. It's only 80.5 nm from my home base, but every attempt to fly here in the past has been an epic fail due to weather or mechanical problems. For awhile I thought the ceiling was going to collapse on me, but it stayed above 3500 for the entire trip.

I am based out of PGD, and though I never have flown into CLW, I love flying into PIE. Flying over the skyway bridge, and the approach over Tampa Bay to 18L is awesome. My jinxed airport in BCT, for some reason I always have a hard time finding it, though once I do I cannot figure out why it was so difficult to find.

I'm just at the end of my training, so I haven't had a chance to broaden my horizons much in the area yet. But it's good to know there are some POAers who are relatively local!

And I agree re: PIE. I love the airport. I find it to be a real pleasant mix of all things aviation. We've got the Coast Guard, some military ops, UPS, some passenger service, lots of corporate, and of course a bunch of us smaller folks. The controllers are nice, the pilots are pleasant. On weekday evenings it almost turns into a sleepy little airport. The other evening around 6:00pm I was the only one in the pattern, doing touch-and-goes to 22 with approaches over Tampa Bay. Nothin' like it!

PASN. Had a tarp blow across the runway and hit our #3 engine in the middle of a take off, made one of the scariest landings of my career one night for a medivac in blowing snow and a nearly direct Xwind gusting near 55 kts. I can't recall a single trip out to that rock without some sort of drama. I don't miss it. :nonod:

Re: The curse is broken!

Any sign that the restaurant is still open? The last time I was there (a Saturday in June '13) it was closed. :nonod:

-Skip

They claim it's open on Saturday and Sunday. There was no activity there at all on Thursday.
The airport is for sale, if anyone is interested.

Back