Do you fly just to get cheaper fuel? Unleaded avgas?

TuomoMooneyFlying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tuomo
And will leaded avgas be banned now that G100UL is approved? How much more is it gonna cost? Did a video on this and I'm curious about your thoughts on leaded avgas and the new unleaded version.

Sooner we get the lead out, the better. My hope is that, because there will no longer be a need for segregated distribution for the leaded fuel, distribution costs will decrease, and as distribution ramps up, "economy of scale" will help to bring costs down, ....some.

Also, getting the lead out removes one argument that the Karen culture uses against gasoline burning GA aircraft.

I've been burning all 92 octane non-ethanol mogas in my experimental for the last 5 years. There's actually an app I use to locate it. It'll be great when I can go on cross countries and find unleaded avgas right on the field.

My home field has no fuel so I either bring in Mogas (90 oct) or fly for 100LL or 93 oct Mogas at nearby airports.

I have flown a longer distance for a cheaper price but more for the adventure of flying than to save money. But now that two airports about the same distance from me have a noticeable difference in price, obviously the better price is getting more of my business.

Sometimes I'll pick an airport that I haven't been to for a long time just to visit friends even if the cost of fuel is slightly higher. I guess I'm saying that I really have no method to my madness. The only rule is to make sure the plane always has plenty of fuel in it. :)

I fly to get ul94 ,not available at many airports yet. I fly for breakfast or social events and usually get fuel when I stop.

Avgas is $6.55 at my home airport. There is usually an airport within an hour and a half selling gas for a buck or more less. It wouldn't make sense to fly there just to buy gas, but since we like to fly at the very least, every other week, we usually arrange to fill up and a cheaper airport. We rationalize that the savings pays for the $100 hamburger, and it often allows us to get an approach in.

Since it doesn't appear that Avgas is ever going to be cheap again, I keep thinking about tip tanks so that I can load up with more of the cheaper fuel when available.

Sooner we get the lead out, the better. My hope is that, because there will no longer be a need for segregated distribution for the leaded fuel, distribution costs will decrease, and as distribution ramps up, "economy of scale" will help to bring costs down, ....some.

I have doubts about that. Even if you're right about decreased costs, there's the perceived value mark-up....+ for aviation.

When I go fly, I usually stop on the "way home" at one of the nearby fields with less expensive fuel than my home field, where the FBO has always charged a bit of a premium for fuel.

Also, getting the lead out removes one argument that the Karen culture uses against gasoline burning GA aircraft.

I've been burning all 92 octane non-ethanol mogas in my experimental for the last 5 years. There's actually an app I use to locate it. It'll be great when I can go on cross countries and find unleaded avgas right on the field.
GAMI has said it will be more expensive than 100LL...their fuel is also slightly heavier than 100LL

Yeah, it’s like 6.3lbs/gal so 50 gallons comes out 15lbs, time to go on a diet? I would not mind losing 15lbs for a good cause

I have doubts about that. Even if you're right about decreased costs, there's the perceived value mark-up....+ for aviation.
GAMI has said it will be more expensive than 100LL...their fuel is also slightly heavier than 100LL

Oh, I never said it'd be cheaper than 100LL. Just that economy of scale might bring the price down, '...some.'

I have started flying elsewhere for cheap fuel in the past 6 or so months.

Fuel is $7 a gallon at my home field and has not come down. It’s a sick game the FBO is playing. The owner is a first class A- hole. He owns one of 2 flight schools on the field, but also has the fuel contract. So even though fuel has gone down, he keeps the price up to screw all the based folks and the other flight school.

Fuel at Currituck only 10 minutes away is $5.50 and will go down next week.

I saved $400 last week flying down there to tank up.

Haven’t bought fuel at CPK in months.

I have started flying elsewhere for cheap fuel in the past 6 or so months.

Fuel is $7 a gallon at my home field and has not come down. It’s a sick game the FBO is playing. The owner is a first class A- hole. He owns one of 2 flight schools on the field, but also has the fuel contract. So even though fuel has gone down, he keeps the price up to screw all the based folks and the other flight school.

Fuel at Currituck only 10 minutes away is $5.50 and will go down next week.

I saved $400 last week flying down there to tank up.

Haven’t bought fuel at CPK in months.
Damn, that’s crazy! Nice savings!

Fuel at my home field is usually about 0.60 more than the nearby surrounding fields. It doesn't make sense to fly to one of them just to save a few bucks. But if I am flying over one of those fields and need gas, I will stop there to top it off.

I wish we had mogas around here. Walmart has e-free 87, but I can’t make myself drive 15 min out of the way to go fill up jugs, then carry them up a ladder to fill my tanks.

There's an airport with much cheaper fuel about a 10-minute flight away from the home drome for me, so when I need fuel I'll stop in there, the savings more than pays for the extra flight time, and getting to fly more pays for the extra time it takes me. :)

There's an airport with much cheaper fuel about a 10-minute flight away from the home drome for me, so when I need fuel I'll stop in there, the savings more than pays for the extra flight time, and getting to fly more pays for the extra time it takes me. :)
I hear ya, glad to know I’m not the only one to not mind the extra stop to get gas. It’s like a win win, more time to fly and do it slightly cheaper, it’s a no brainer!

Back