do you ever feel like the forces are working against you?

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
I am sitting at 18.3 hours. Started my PPL journey January 26, 2014. Between weather, wind, scheduling...I cant get anything done. Its driving me nuts. I assume everyone has this issue but I just had to vent. Vent over....:mad2:

I am sitting at 18.3 hours. Started my PPL journey January 26, 2014. Between weather, wind, scheduling...I cant get anything done. Its driving me nuts. I assume everyone has this issue but I just had to vent. Vent over....:mad2:

I feel for ya. Keep at it. When I was ready for my check ride, it took 6 weeks between weather and scheduling problems. I came to understand (and you will, too...): Mother Nature hates check rides! :mad2:

-Skip

I feel your pain. I'm at around 23 hours (previously trained 15 years ago and was at about 15 hours then).

On my end, aircraft going down for minor maintenance, 100 hour inspections, and gusting winds have been hindering my progress as well. Unfortunately, work requires me to travel for a week or two at a time, so I end up falling behind after each trip.

I think you just have to have patience as with anything else. The skills will develop, the forces will eventually align with you, and you'll make progress. Patience is our friend!

The upshot is once your checkride is over you will be going "That went by so fast. How am I able to do this already"

Yup. It's great experience for post-certificate. Impatience will get you killed.

I live in San Diego where we have a total of nine days a year of IMC. Those nine days happened to be on the days I scheduled a lesson, without fail. I felt almost magical at my ability to cause rain to fall!

It's a sign from the almighty aviation gods...they want you to hit the books! You don't want to disappoint the aviation gods! :D

Schedule the airplane weeks in advance, regardless of what the weatherman says. They're usually wrong, anyways (I need that job). Don't schedule 24/7, obviously, but give yourself a buffer and get it done the best you can.

I had the same situation when trying to finish my multi-commercial. I didn't fly for three weeks. I took a refresher the day before and that was it. I got lucky.

You should be understanding why your lessons are being cancelled. Your instructor has set your minimums based on your skill level. Improve your skills and you will fly more. I have more than 18 hours on my oil change. Seriously, I just looked! Take a deep breath and become a student of aviation. You'll live longer. ;)

You are were you need to be at 18 hours, on the ground studying...right?

Last edited:
oh, and yes, lots of people run into this. I did multiple times during training AARRGGHH.

You are a very wise pilot. :yes:

:D

Hah. Thank you for the compliment. I'll give that credit to my father who raised me around airplanes and has a great mix of joy of flying and a very serious take at safety.

My first introductory lesson last year was clouded over when we got to the airport and so cancelled. I was visibly annoyed since I was so excited to get flying. My Dad, also at the airport, let me have it for that attitude. Luckily, I had a lot of experience during my training of weather, mechanical, and other scheduling conflicts canceling flights for weeks on end.

Now I just have fun heading to the airport and if the plane happens to be in flying shape, the weather cooperating, and all other ducks in a row, I actually take off -- otherwise, I have fun walking around the airport and thinking about the next trip.

What is a workable sacrifice to the aviation weather god?

Use the down time to study the knowledge material, practice chair flying, and work on that written exam.

I don't buy the "weather sucks so I can't make progress" line. There is enough material there to keep you reading 24/7 for the next year.

I would also try to fine tune your schedule, as able. Depending on the rest of your life, that may involve watching the forecast and adjusting a day or 2 prior. The forecast winds are on the NOAA site a handful of days ahead of time, same with pressure systems.

I'd also try to be 'phone available' when able, depending on the instructor and phase of training. Additional study never hurts either. Push forward, don't get discouraged.

Back