Do you carry a fire extinguisher?

Do you carry a fire extinguisher in your plane?

• Yes

Votes: 82 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 22 21.2%

• Total voters
Yep, in flight fire is one of the scariest things imaginable. I've got no great guarantee that my little halon extinguisher will solve the issue but it might give me some time to get the plane on the ground.

The thought of spraying chemicals into the air I'm breathing and peering through gives me the willies. Fire is bad, but I wonder if the cure isn't worse. From what I've seen of the discharge of those things it is.

The thought of spraying chemicals into the air I'm breathing and peering through gives me the willies. Fire is bad, but I wonder if the cure isn't worse. From what I've seen of the discharge of those things it is.
Some are better than others. You need to do the research and understand what they do from a cost benefit stand point. But, I'll leave the burning to death versus shortening your life a few years decision up to you.

Halon is about the only answer and aircraft use is one of the few places it's really still allowed to be used. Back in the day, the post fire department came over and let us practice putting fires out with halon fire extinguishers. Pretty darned impressive stuff (I can't imagine how much that little training exercise cost the taxpayer).

Usually what's burning is much more noxious than the extinguishing agents.

You should educate yourself on fire extinguishers.

It is required equipment in my aircraft. Just had it serviced last year ($110 including shipping).

The cure ISN'T worse.

So, part of your fire drill is to practice HOLDING YOUR BREATH for a few seconds, and then breathing through your shirtsleeve after that, until you know that the fire is out and you can open (or break) the window.

Yes ,it's required on my aircraft.checked out fine during annual.

Halon is about the only answer and aircraft use is one of the few places it's really still allowed to be used. Back in the day, the post fire department came over and let us practice putting fires out with halon fire extinguishers. Pretty darned impressive stuff (I can't imagine how much that little training exercise cost the taxpayer).

Usually what's burning is much more noxious than the extinguishing agents.

I used to work in data centers that had halon fire protection systems, and I remember the data center managers telling us if we ever heard the fire alarms going off, to get out of there immediately because if a halon dump ever happened in the data center and we weren't out in time, it was pretty much a death sentence.

Is halon that dangerous, and if so, wouldn't it be the wrong thing to use in such a small enclosed area like a cockpit?

Down the road, when I have a plane, I'll definitely have a fire extinguisher on board, but remembering the halon scare drilled into us years ago, I would never have considered halon. Maybe it's not quite as deadly as what we were led to believe?

That's why you get Halon, and only Halon, for cockpit use. Pure 1301 is the safest, but hard to find. More common is a 1301/1211 mix. 1211 is toxic above a certain concentration, so you'll see "minimum room volume" limitation on the bottle. Make sure you get a bottle with a smaller minimum volume than your cabin volume (may take some research, but the data are available). Everything else (CO2, dry chem, HFC's, HCFC's, Halotron, etc), is a lot worse for toxicity/lethality and effectiveness in the cockpit environment, which is why aircraft cabin/cockpit use is the one big exception to the Halon ban.

BTW, I spent about five years as a government contractor researching this, so there's a lot behind what I said above.

I used to work in data centers that had halon fire protection systems, and I remember the data center managers telling us if we ever heard the fire alarms going off, to get out of there immediately because if a halon dump ever happened in the data center and we weren't out in time, it was pretty much a death sentence.

Is halon that dangerous, and if so, wouldn't it be the wrong thing to use in such a small enclosed area like a cockpit?

Down the road, when I have a plane, I'll definitely have a fire extinguisher on board, but remembering the halon scare drilled into us years ago, I would never have considered halon. Maybe it's not quite as deadly as what we were led to believe?

The problem wasn't so much toxicity, which does exist to a degree, but risk of death by suffocation by oxygen displacement. That takes a lot of halon. And I was under the impression that the amount of Halon to chemically interrupt combustion was much less than the amount of halon necessary to displace oxygen enough to endanger life. But I've heard the same thing you've heard regarding halon dumps in confined spaces.

I have several Halon 1211 and Halotron (HCFC-123) extinguishers in my home and vehicles. I have a 1.4 lb unit that I carry when flying. These extinguishers are several times more effective by volume than a dry chemical unit.

Using a standard dry chemical extinguisher in a confined space like an aircraft cockpit is a bad idea. It will reduce visibility to zero, initiate significant eye irritation and choking, and the residue is corrosive to aluminum. However, discharging a 1211 or Halotron extinguisher in the cockpit will have no deleterious effect on the occupants. This clear gas is not an irritant, has no health effects at the concentration produced by the size units typically carried in an aircraft, and leaves no residue.

The greatest danger presented by discharge of a 1211 or Halotron extinguisher is displacement of oxygen to a degree which could produce asphyxiation. That being said, the volume of gas in the "aircraft size" extinguisher (1.4 or 2.5 lb) is so small this is not a concern.

This information was taken from FAA AC 120-80, Inflight Fires

7. CAN HALON CAUSE HARM TO PASSENGERS AND CREW?
a. Generally speaking, no. Various publications, including AC 20-42C, caution against
exposure to “high levels” of Halon in confined spaces, citing the possibility of dizziness,
impaired coordination, and reduced mental sharpness. AC 20-42C also provides guidelines that
describe what is meant by the term “high level” and further states that these levels should not be
exceeded in ventilated or non-ventilated passenger compartments on aircraft. However, studies
have shown that discharging all of the hand-held Halon extinguishers required by regulation in
the passenger cabin of an air carrier aircraft will not exceed the maximum concentration levels of
Halon vapor specified in AC 20-42C or by NFPA 408 guidelines.

b. NTSB investigations of in-flight fires indicate that crewmembers have been hesitant to
use Halon extinguishers during flight because of mistaken ideas about adverse effects of Halon.
In one instance, a flight attendant went to the flight deck to inform the flightcrew of a fire and
asked the captain whether to spray Halon into a vent where she suspected a fire. The captain
instructed her not to use the Halon extinguisher, indicating he was concerned about spraying
Halon in the cabin. In another instance, an off-duty company pilot considered using a Halon fire
extinguisher, but decided against doing so because he was concerned that the Halon “would take
away more oxygen.” In each instance, the crewmembers lost critical time and delayed the
aggressive pursuit of the fire.

c. The NTSB has expressed concern that risks of exceeding the maximum recommended
levels of Halon gas outlined in AC 20-42C have been overemphasized in crewmember training
programs, especially when compared to the risks of an in-flight fire. The NTSB emphasizes
“…that the potential harmful effects on passengers and crew [of Halon] are negligible compared
to the safety benefits achieved by fighting in-flight fires aggressively.” The toxic effects of a
typical aircraft seat fire, for example, far outweigh the potential toxic effects of discharging a
Halon fire extinguisher.

The problem wasn't so much toxicity, which does exist to a degree, but risk of death by suffocation by oxygen displacement. That takes a lot of halon.
"A lot" is right -- about ten times the effective extinguishment concentration for Halon 1301. However, with 1211, the toxicity level is only about three times the effective extinguishment concentration, which is why that minimum room volume limit is important.

And I was under the impression that the amount of Halon to chemically interrupt combustion was much less than the amount of halon necessary to displace oxygen enough to endanger life. But I've heard the same thing you've heard regarding halon dumps in confined spaces.
One of the problems in discussing Halons is that there are over a dozen different compounds called "Halon", some of which (like 2402) are highly toxic, and others of which are virtually non-toxic (like 1301). 1301 was the "silver bullet" in that it wasn't toxic in any concentration (suffocation not being the same as toxicity) and extinguishes fires in pretty low concentrations (2-6%, depending on the type of fire). The only problem with 1301 is that due to its low boiling point, it's primarily a volume fill agent, and loses effectiveness when you're trying to put out a point or streaming fire rather than a large volume fire. That's why 1211 is added to the mix for aircraft extinguisher. While it adds streaming capability, it also adds toxicity, so it's used in a mix with 1301 to maximize effectiveness while keeping toxicity to an acceptable level.

Only problem is all those brominated Halons (the fourth digit in the number showing the number of bromine atoms in each molecule) is that the bromine which kills the fire also makes holes in the ozone layer, and the ozone depletion potential (ODP) of 1301 is unacceptably high. We played with 13001 (replacing the bromine atom with iodine), and while it was even more effective than 1301 in firefighting, it also has serious cardiac sensitization issues, and was deemed unacceptable for that reason.

Where you can use large quantities of agent (like computer rooms on the ground, etc), several non-toxic, non-ozone-depleting agents like FM-227 were determined to be acceptable H1301 substitutes, but the quantities of agent required and problems with the post-fire environment (particularly concentration of hydrofluoric acid due to pyrolization of the agent) made them unacceptable for places like aircraft cockpits/cabins and ground combat vehicle crew compartments where occupant egress isn't an option (e.g., you really don't want to have to jump out of your M1 tank in the middle of a battlefield).

So, the ozone-depleting Halons remain approved for aircraft cockpits and cabins and are the agent of choice in that application.

I have several Halon 1211 and Halotron (HCFC-123) extinguishers in my home and vehicles. I have a 1.4 lb unit that I carry when flying. These extinguishers are several times more effective by volume than a dry chemical unit.
Neither pure 1211 nor any HCFC ("Halotron" and other names) extinguisher is a good idea in a cockpit (or any other enclosed space unless you can bail out). 1211 is too toxic, and HCFC's will probably produce a lethal post-fire environment (ask your doctor about exposure to hydrofluoric acid, which is a pyrolization product of the exposure of HCFC's in an effective concentration to heat). The best choice for both toxicity and effectiveness for all foreseeable cockpit fires remains a 1301/1211 mix as long as the minimum room volume limit is observed.

Note that while 1211 and 1301 also contain fluorine, the effective concentration and speed of extinguishment with brominated agents (which interfere with fire chemistry) keep the HF levels in the post-fire environment down to acceptable levels. HCFC's like Halotron are purely physical in their extinguishment process, so it takes a lot more of the agent a lot longer (at least in the chemical reaction scale of time) to put out the same fire, and you get a lot of pyrolization of a lot of agent in that time -- which produces unacceptably high levels of HF without a lot of ventilation (which creates reflash potential). You can't get a copy of the FAA test report on this without special approval because of what happened with the baboon on whom it was tested (further deponent sayeth not).

Since 1301 is legal for this application, don't leave the ground without it (at least in a mix with 1211).

Your manager was ill informed. Before retiring, I owned a construction firm that exclusively built data centers, and I have installed hundreds of gaseous fire protection systems. The concentration of gas that produces an effective fire extinguishing event in a confined space is below the Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL) in humans.

Halon 1301 works by achieving a sufficient concentration of the gas to chemically interrupt the combustion process. It doesn't deprive the fire of oxygen by smothering it as a dry chem extinguisher does or displacing the oxygen with CO2. The volume of the protected space is calculated and the amount of gas installed is sized to produce the required concentration.

Spaces protected by gaseous systems must be completely sealed. All gaps in walls around ducts, conduits, and structural members are closed off by close fitting drywall construction and sealants. This allows the accumulation of the gas at proper concentrations.

The greatest danger is asphyxiation from oxygen displacement by the gas. However, the gas dissipates after discharge events and this is unlikely. You would have to stay in the confined space, and the volume of gas would have to be greater than recommended concentrations. Not only that, staying in the space during a fire event has health hazards much more significant than exposure to the gas, e.g. toxic smoke produced by the fire. No one is going to hang around to watch a data center burn.

Simply leaving the protected space will prevent any issues. The fire alarm sequence used by gaseous systems detects the combustion products of a fire, which trigger audible and visual alarm devices. After a preset delay of up to thirty seconds, which is designed to allow personnel to exit the space, the gas is discharged.

Neither pure 1211 nor any HCFC ("Halotron" and other names) extinguisher is a good idea in a cockpit (or any other enclosed space unless you can bail out). 1211 is too toxic, and HCFC's will probably produce a lethal post-fire environment (ask your doctor about exposure to hydrofluoric acid, which is a pyrolization product of the exposure of HCFC's in an effective concentration to heat). The best choice for both toxicity and effectiveness for all foreseeable cockpit fires remains a 1301/1211 mix as long as the minimum room volume limit is observed.

Note that while 1211 and 1301 also contain fluorine, the effective concentration and speed of extinguishment with brominated agents (which interfere with fire chemistry) keep the HF levels in the post-fire environment down to acceptable levels. HCFC's like Halotron are purely physical in their extinguishment process, so it takes a lot more of the agent a lot longer (at least in the chemical reaction scale of time) to put out the same fire, and you get a lot of pyrolization of a lot of agent in that time -- which produces unacceptably high levels of HF without a lot of ventilation (which creates reflash potential). You can't get a copy of the FAA test report on this without special approval because of what happened with the baboon on whom it was tested (further deponent sayeth not).

Since 1301 is legal for this application, don't leave the ground without it (at least in a mix with 1211).

I guess speed of extinguishment is key with regards to production of toxic byproducts of 1211 and Halotron. I haven't kept tabs on the subject for a while...are you saying that 1301 extinguishers can be purchased if one has an aircraft application?

I know from discussing this with my fire protection contractors that 1301 is much more effective than the replacements.

Along with my 1211 and Halotron I have two 20 lb 1301 extinguishers I acquired in 1992. These are kept in a readily accessible place in my home and are my primary firefighting tool. Yeah, they're out of inspection but they contain a pretty big punch.

Last edited:
I guess speed of extinguishment is key with regards to production of toxic byproducts of 1211 and Halotron.
With Halotron, it is only the pyrolized byproducts which are really nasty, and you don't get those without exposure of the agent to the heat of the fire. The neat agent is not particularly toxic. Toxic effects from neat 1211 begin at about 2%, with one-minute exposure effects at about 4%, and lethality is somewhere well above 6%. The good news is that it kills the fire so fast, the residual pyrolysis product concentrations are relatively low. So, one gets you on the front end, and the other on the back end. 1301, however doesn't get you on either end.

I haven't kept tabs on the subject for a while...are you saying that 1301 extinguishers can be purchased if one has an aircraft application?
Yes. It's hard to find pure 1301 units, and for the reasons discussed above you probably want a 1301/1211 mix anyway, but it is legal for this application.

I know from discussing this with my fire protection contractors that 1301 is much more effective than the replacements.
Well, all the legal available replacements. 13001 is actually more effective, but not being produced because of the cardiac sensitization issues.

Along with my 1211 and Halotron I have two 20 lb 1301 extinguishers I acquired in 1992. These are kept in a readily accessible place in my home and are my primary firefighting tool. Yeah, they're out of inspection but they contain a pretty big punch.
Don't get caught by EPA with that stuff.

You were told wrong. Breathing halon over the short term hasn't been shown to have any ill effects. The real concern with flood systems is that you might have areas where there is insufficient air to breath properly. However over the average, Halon doesn't need to be in very high concentrations to be effective. Contrary to what some people tell you, it does NOT displace the oxygen to below the free burning level. It interferes with the fire chemical reaction.

No, it's pretty much the safest of most of the agents.

Ozone layer issues have pretty much phased it out of most applications (that and data center continuity of operations turns out flood Halon was the wrong answer to begin with, IBMs biggest data centers refused to use it). Most of these systems have had the halon recycled to feed these aviation and other confined space extinguishers. They currently aren't manufacturing any.

You were told wrong. Breathing halon over the short term hasn't been shown to have any ill effects.
Again, that's strictly for Halon 1301. H2402 can be about a five-stepper, and H1211 can cause significant effects within a minute at 4% concentration. Of course, only H1301 is used in occupied space flooding systems, so that may not affect the specific case under discussion, but please beware of using the word "halon" in any blanket statements without specifying which Halon you are discussing -- that's how these rumors and OWT's start.

I was told to get out of the room before the doors locked (automatically). If you cannot get out in time, then lie down on the floor and don't panic because all the oxygen will be displaced. Someone will be there to help when you wake up. That was a few decades ago. I hope they have improved the technology.

I was told to get out of the room before the doors locked (automatically). If you cannot get out in time, then lie down on the floor and don't panic because all the oxygen will be displaced. Someone will be there to help when you wake up. That was a few decades ago. I hope they have improved the technology.
I'm not sure lying on the floor is a good idea, since the molecular weight of H1301 is about five times that of air -- which means it's going to settle to the ground. Or maybe they just wanted to make sure you wouldn't fall and hurt yourself when you passed out.

I have been in a USAF data center when we deliberately set off the halon system (there were a dozen or so of us in there including contractors & uniforms) to demonstrate. I turned into a deep baritone with no other effects. The % of halon needed to extinguish a small fire is far smaller than needed to asphyxiate a person in the amount of time needed to get the airplane on the ground. I don't mean at an airport but immediately on the ground. Any ground.

Funky smell, tho.

I keep 1 gallon of drinking water on board in addition to 1.25 lbs Halon 1211(for 156 cu ft minimum). The water may come in handy for survival, cooling down first/second degree burns, extinguishing clothing/cloth seats/plastic ie wheel pants/rubber.

I keep 1 gallon of drinking water on board in addition to 1.25 lbs Halon 1211(for 156 cu ft minimum).
Have you compared that 156 to the actual cabin volume of your airplane? I suspect a lot of light singles are less than 156 cu ft net volume (after you exclude seats and other items).

I have been in a USAF data center when we deliberately set off the halon system (there were a dozen or so of us in there including contractors & uniforms) to demonstrate. I turned into a deep baritone with no other effects. The % of halon needed to extinguish a small fire is far smaller than needed to asphyxiate a person in the amount of time needed to get the airplane on the ground. I don't mean at an airport but immediately on the ground. Any ground.

Funky smell, tho.

Depends on the system. At the DOJ data center, when the green lights started flashing, you had to get out of the space or get to the rescue packs (small Scott SCBAs) in 45 seconds. That particular halon system would NOT leave breathable atmosphere when it went off.

With Halotron, it is only the pyrolized byproducts which are really nasty, and you don't get those without exposure of the agent to the heat of the fire. The neat agent is not particularly toxic. Toxic effects from neat 1211 begin at about 2%, with one-minute exposure effects at about 4%, and lethality is somewhere well above 6%. The good news is that it kills the fire so fast, the residual pyrolysis product concentrations are relatively low. So, one gets you on the front end, and the other on the back end. 1301, however doesn't get you on either end.

Yes. It's hard to find pure 1301 units, and for the reasons discussed above you probably want a 1301/1211 mix anyway, but it is legal for this application.

Well, all the legal available replacements. 13001 is actually more effective, but not being produced because of the cardiac sensitization issues.

Don't get caught by EPA with that stuff.

There are no federal or state regulations prohibiting the buying, selling or use of Halon extinguishers.

Here is 40 lbs of 1301 on eBay...

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=261165096481

The problem wasn't so much toxicity, which does exist to a degree, but risk of death by suffocation by oxygen displacement. That takes a lot of halon. And I was under the impression that the amount of Halon to chemically interrupt combustion was much less than the amount of halon necessary to displace oxygen enough to endanger life. But I've heard the same thing you've heard regarding halon dumps in confined spaces.
Let's get something strait because there is a lot of misinformation out there. And if you need my background, I was a firefighter up in Maine back in the 1990s, then a merchant marine officer and now a Navy Surface Warfare Officer. I have trained on, worked with and used most of the portable and fixed systems out there. First off, Halon does not displace O2. That is what CO2 extinguishers do - they stop the fire by removing the oxygen. Because of that, you have to be careful about using CO2 in confined spaces and when used in fixed systems (like merchant ship engine rooms), you must evacuate....or die. Halon does not work that way. Halon chemically interrupts the chain reaction that occurs in combustion, thus putting the fire out. There is some debate about how toxic the by products of halon use on fire are (which may be due to the fact that there are a few varieties of Halon). Bottom line is, you won't die from Halon discharge, but depending on how much of the byproducts you inhale, you may have some health complications later down the road (which is what Michael was alluding to).

Let's get something strait because there is a lot of misinformation out there. And if you need my background, I was a firefighter up in Maine back in the 1990s, then a merchant marine officer and now a Navy Surface Warfare Officer. I have trained on, worked with and used most of the portable and fixed systems out there. First off, Halon does not displace O2.
OK, not the way water displaces air, but it does reduce the O2 concentration in the space, and when the H1301 concentration gets high enough (around 600,000 ppm of H1301) to drive the O2 concentration low enough, people start to suffocate.

That is what CO2 extinguishers do - they stop the fire by removing the oxygen. Because of that, you have to be careful about using CO2 in confined spaces and when used in fixed systems (like merchant ship engine rooms), you must evacuate....or die.
That is also why you need vastly higher concentration of CO2 to kill a fire, and why it's such a lethal threat -- you have to get the CO2 concentration to the same level that suffocates people in order to suffocate the fire. OTOH, brominated Halons kill the fire at concentrations an order of magnitude lower because they interfere with the chemical kinetics of the combustion process. So, you don't need to dump suffocating concentrations of brominated Halons to kill fires, and that's why they are the agent of choice for occupied spaces.

Halon does not work that way. Halon chemically interrupts the chain reaction that occurs in combustion, thus putting the fire out. There is some debate about how toxic the by products of halon use on fire are (which may be due to the fact that there are a few varieties of Halon). Bottom line is, you won't die from Halon discharge,
For 1301 that's true. For other Halons, that's not true. That's why you have to know which Halon it is with which we're dealing.

but depending on how much of the byproducts you inhale, you may have some health complications later down the road (which is what Michael was alluding to).
Unless it's 2402, in which case you're dead. Beware of Halon systems behind where the Iron Curtain used to be, because they used 2402 in a lot of systems including aircraft engine compartments.

Have you compared that 156 to the actual cabin volume of your airplane? I suspect a lot of light singles are less than 156 cu ft net volume (after you exclude seats and other items).

I would guess my cabin is close to that number. As a comparison, an F33 has 183 cu ft. Hopefully I can shut off the fuel source, extinguish the fire, open the gull wing door for ventilation and land safely. A friend in a -10 did just this because he could not see out the windows due to smoke from fire(insulation/brake fluid/paint) or breathe after using halon extinguisher. I doubt he worried about insufficient cabin volume. He ended up with a burnt finger and a write off.

That's a rather deceptive statement.
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/fire/qa.html

For the above poster that has two 20 lb Halon 1301 extinguishers in his house...

"The prohibitions on venting do not apply to the emergency release of halons for the legitimate purpose of fire extinguishing, explosion inertion, or other emergency applications for which the equipment or systems were designed."

".......) is that the bromine which kills the fire also makes holes in the ozone layer, and the ozone depletion potential (ODP) of 1301 is unacceptably high......So, the ozone-depleting Halons remain approved for aircraft cockpits and cabins and are the agent of choice in that application.

First off... Great thread and wonderful info....:yes:..

As for the Ozone depleting issues.... Seems to me the VERY small fraction of Halon extinguishers out there present a miniscule problem.. And that is based on the fact they will be deployed... An even smaller fraction are actually discharged to put out a fire so the ozone risk is almost impossible to access...

One could argue that the inferno created by a plane hitting the earth and going up in a fireball will cause more enviromental damage then if a pilot discharges a small extinguisher to put out a inflight fire and get the plane on the ground safely..:idea:

For the above poster that has two 20 lb Halon 1301 extinguishers in his house...

"The prohibitions on venting do not apply to the emergency release of halons for the legitimate purpose of fire extinguishing, explosion inertion, or other emergency applications for which the equipment or systems were designed."
You've extracted a single line out of context to support your contention that "There are no federal or state regulations prohibiting the buying, selling or use of Halon extinguishers." Al I was trying to say is that it's more complicated than you made it sound.

Last edited:
First off... Great thread and wonderful info....:yes:..

As for the Ozone depleting issues.... Seems to me the VERY small fraction of Halon extinguishers out there present a miniscule problem.. And that is based on the fact they will be deployed... An even smaller fraction are actually discharged to put out a fire so the ozone risk is almost impossible to access...

One could argue that the inferno created by a plane hitting the earth and going up in a fireball will cause more enviromental damage then if a pilot discharges a small extinguisher to put out a inflight fire and get the plane on the ground safely..:idea:
One could, and many did back in the 90's. We won the argument as far as airplanes were concerned. That's why they're still legal for that use today. But for things like big computer rooms and oil processing facilities, all new installations are things like FM-227.

Back