Do you believe in UFO's?

Do you believe in UFO's?

• Total voters
Newton does an excellent job w.r.t. atmospheric flight, but falls short if you want to discuss near speed of light travel through space. Or, if you are running atomic clocks in satellites.

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."
-George Box

Newtonian physics is one of the most useful models of all time. Only in extremities such as the ones you mentioned does it prove inadequate. If I'm privileged to meet Sir Issac in the hereafter, I will shake his hand and congratulate him for the tremendous impact his model has had upon us all.

We're discussing the physics of flight and space travel. It helps to follow the conversation.
It also helps to use correct words. You know, those things you put together to form sentences? Maybe not.

Again what part of flight went *against* 166 years of physics? Oh yeah, it didn't.

Heat transfer is one of the most ignored thing in the whole alien spacecraft vs. laser lights discussion. For example, if I grill a tri tip to medium rare, I am primarily employing the conductive method of heat transfer. If I am smoking ribs, it is primarily convective and not conductive. If I am fire roasting a salmon fish, there is largely radiative, followed by conductive.

The aliens visiting our planet need to realize this. Because if they try to cook a brisket in the microwave, we're at war*.

*cattle mutilations have not been attributed to alien species trying to emanate barbeque. I doubt it because they f**ked it up.

Also they built the pyramids.
Yes, it makes total sense that an advanced race that can travel between stars would build pyramids out of big blocks of hand cut stone and not resort to using stuff like concrete, steel, aluminum, glass, or plastic.

Yes, it makes total sense that an advanced race that can travel between stars would build pyramids out of big blocks of hand cut stone and not resort to using stuff like concrete, steel, aluminum, glass, or plastic.

Zog stroked his bulbous eye pod and issued a challenge to the Dorides. "Go build a pyramid, a large one, but do not use any concrete, steel, aluminum, glass, or plastic."

Zog stroked his bulbous eye pod and issued a challenge to the Dorides. "Go build a pyramid, a large one, but do not use any concrete, steel, aluminum, glass, or plastic."
Once the Doride pledges built the pyramids, they became full-fledged Dorides, and the entire fraternity went on a century-long bender.

Once the Doride pledges built the pyramids, they became full-fledged Dorides, and the entire fraternity went on a century-long bender.

But those are Doride centuries, which explains their absence since the construction of the Pyramids.

You are asking the wrong question. I really hate that question. It's a terrible question.
Get rid of "believe", people chose to believe all sorts of BS. I think.

The answer to the questions you should be asking......

Do I think there are others, were others, will be others? Of course. We are proof it happened at least once.
Do I think they have visited this planet? Hell no and no.

You are asking the wrong question. I really hate that question. It's a terrible question.
Get rid of "believe", people chose to believe all sorts of BS. I think.

The answer to the questions you should be asking......

Do I think there are others, were others, will be others? Of course. We are proof it happened at least once.
Do I think they have visited this planet? Hell no and no.

But that is not my question. The real question, which should be alluded by the poll choices, is 'do you understand the definition of UFO.' I think most people here do.

As to your answer, certainly it's debatable, but not really the point.

I believe this is other life in the universe. But I doubt there is an inter-stellar capable species nearby enough to visit us. The robot war machines will decimate us long before we discover the warp engine.

Well if we're going with Major Tom, might as well stay similar.

And of course a co-star

Back