Do run-ups work?

@SkyDog58 Every time we start the takeoff run in an airliner we run the engines up. Only once they have accelerated symmetrically without any abnormal indications do we set Take Off power.

He might be referring to turbine helos. Some aircraft do a run up called a HIT check; Health Indicator Test. This is done to ensure the engine is 1) producing the appropriate power with a corresponding temp window with that power and 2) ensuring the bleed valves and engine anti-ice / inlet are working correctly. If it fails either test, it's no go for flight. The check is done prior to any take off checks.

Last edited:
I once had an engine failure on run-up. No matter what we tried, we could not get the engine to restart. We were departing RWY24 at VKX which is over houses.

Was later told that it was a vacuum line had failed.

I'm not getting into a public scrap with you when you're advocating poor decisions. Other pilots read this and the answer shouldnt be a matter of debate or opinion.

CFR 91.103 starts with: Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight.

If you think you're OK skipping an approved checklist and still complying with that; i suggest you find a lawyer.

I never advocated anything. YOU said I'm breaking the FARs. I asked which one(s). The one you listed says nothing about a checklist. And what about planes that don't have checklists?

So I ask again, which FARs am I breaking?

Not proven things that have been done for decades with real results. That's just wasting time navel gazing.

Respectfully disagree, Nate. So many times in my life that proven things have been...disproven. Change is the only constant and we should look at every last thing on a rotating basis.

Respectfully disagree, Nate. So many times in my life that proven things have been...disproven. Change is the only constant and we should look at every last thing on a rotating basis.
If you look at the last thing first, is it really last?:rolleyes2:

He might be referring to turbine helos. Some aircraft do a run up called a HIT check; Health Indicator Test. This is done to ensure the engine is 1) producing the appropriate power with a corresponding temp window with that power and 2) ensuring the bleed valves and engine anti-ice / inlet are working correctly. If it fails either test, it's no go for flight. The check is done prior to any take off checks.

I was not referring to helos.

You know how it is - stuff's good until it ain't, then it ain't; hence, I always like to have a little check of engine health prior to committing myself and any passengers to flight.

I have caught exactly one issue - a bad mag - and I was very pleased to have caught it at home, rather than at the 300+ NM-distant place to which my son and I were flying - for a two-hour visit, with no overnight bags packed.

If nothing else, why wouldn't you want a sufficiently warmed up engine prior to going full power? Just idling it would take a long time.

I'm just curious how effective they are and if there are things we can add?

Have caught everything already listed here before ... funniest one was during training ... noticed the Hobbs failed:lol:

Runups are a real pain. They have caused me to postpone a couple of flights.

I know you are joking about this John, but if you would not have done the run-up and gone ahead with the flight, would you have been safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have caught everything already listed here before ... funniest one was during training ... noticed the Hobbs failed:lol:

Hobbs failure! Isn't that cause to extend the flight by an hour! :wink2:

hobbs in - hobbs out = $0

I would have never noticed that one, till I wrote it down after. I'm sure the cashier would've.

I would have never noticed that one, till I wrote it down after. I'm sure the cashier would've.

Hobbs is like step 4 on the preflight checklist and NOT part of the run-up checklist. I would have missed it and have been happy to have done so.

Good thing you aren't a lawyer, because 103 says nothing about run-ups.

Run up can easily be inferred as the process of gathering required information pertinent to the aircraft and flight.

Hobbs is like step 4 on the preflight checklist and NOT part of the run-up checklist. I would have missed it and have been happy to have done so.

Only reason I noticed was it occurred during training, I had already written down the Hobbs time before flight and it was a perfect even number. After a loooonnng taxi, it was still the same and stayed that way the entire flight ... FBO "estimated" time in my favor so I didn't complain ... 152 was $60 an hour back then.

Only reason I noticed was it occurred during training, I had already written down the Hobbs time before flight and it was a perfect even number. After a loooonnng taxi, it was still the same and stayed that way the entire flight ... FBO "estimated" time in my favor so I didn't complain ... 152 was $60 an hour back then.

I'll bet we got that fixed real quick!! :D

Back