Do I need to self ground...

J

JRJR

The regulation is as follows:
Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required flight crew member while that person: Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation...

My questions is this: I have a curable condition that I'm aware of. I did not know if would preclude me from renewing my medical certificate until I had my FAA exam and the ME told me that he couldn't renew it, even though it doesn't affect safety.

I have until the end of the month before my current Med Cert expires. Can I still fly until then, knowing that I have this condition? I asked the doc and he seemed purposefully vague.

So you know you have a condition RIGHT NOW that would cause you to NOT pass a medical. The reg says “knows or has reason to know...”

What is the question again?

The regulation is as follows:
Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required flight crew member while that person: Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation...
Those last nine words of the quoted portion would seem to leave flying with Sport Pilot privileges open, meaning you could fly anything that qualifies as LSA within Sport Pilot limitations. Day VFR, altitude limits, etc. And curiously, it could be argued that you may possibly need to otherwise self-ground until the end of the month, but if your condition is not one of the very small group that would require an SI for Basic Med, then you'll be possibly* good to go as of 10/1 and henceforth forevermore. Whether or not you are fit to fly is between you and your doctor.

Unless I'm wrong. It's been a week since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so the effect may have worn off by now.

Ain't rules grand?

* Whether you're fit to fly is between you and your doctor.

Those last nine words of the quoted portion would seem to leave flying with Sport Pilot privileges open
The portion quoted is from 61.53 A which only applies to "Operations that require a medical certificate."

61.53 B is what applies to sport pilot operation with a drivers license.

The portion quoted is from 61.53 A which only applies to "Operations that require a medical certificate."

61.53 B is what applies to sport pilot operation with a drivers license.
I am quite well aware of that, thanks. My point was that flying with Sport Pilot privileges does not require a medical certificate, so if he's still able to operate the aircraft in a safe manner, he can fly regardless of whether or not he has a condition that would preclude him from renewing a medical.

My point was that flying with Sport Pilot privileges does not require a medical certificate

That is true, but you cannot have been denied a medical certificate to fly as a sport pilot. Unless there was no 8500 submitted then unfortunately the sport pilot door is probably closed too...

Cases like the OP's suck! I wish all the orgs like AOPA, EAA, NAFI, etc. would collectively shout "Unless you are SURE you will pass an Aviation Medical Exam, DO NOT take one!"

That is true, but you cannot have been denied a medical certificate to fly as a sport pilot. Unless there was no 8500 submitted then unfortunately the sport pilot door is probably closed too...

Cases like the OP's suck! I wish all the orgs like AOPA, EAA, NAFI, etc. would collectively shout "Unless you are SURE you will pass an Aviation Medical Exam, DO NOT take one!"
You are correct, of course, but I thought from reading his post that the OP hasn't been denied. If he has a lick of common sense and hasn't submitted the 8500 he won't. All he has to do is wait it out (if even that). If the condition is not something that would prevent him being able to safely fly the airplane, he can fly Sport Pilot. If it's not one of the handful of conditions requiring an SI for Basic Med, he's got that option.

Typically if you have to ask... you already know the answer

Go Sport Pilot and don’t look back

LSA for the win

.... should definitely not ground themselves.....

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Beyond my capacitance.

I am shocked you would conduct yourself in such a manner and try to lead the thread astray. How revolting!

Op you didn't pass your medical exam, you are grounded. Start the process for an SI.

So, OP: Did you, or did you not, actually submit a form 8500 application for a new medical?

So, OP: Did you, or did you not, actually submit a form 8500 application for a new medical?

From the OP, sounds like he did to me: "I did not know if would preclude me from renewing my medical certificate until I had my FAA exam and the ME told me that he couldn't renew it"

If you don't know how the FAA treats a particular diagnosis or medication, Google "FAA Medical [condition/medication]". i.e. "FAA Medical Hypertension"

My questions is this: I have a curable condition that I'm aware of. I did not know if would preclude me from renewing my medical certificate until I had my FAA exam and the ME told me that he couldn't renew it, even though it doesn't affect safety.

By my read, it sounds like his medical was denied renewal. If so, flying under LSA rules won't work. But hopefully the OP can clarify.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back