Do I have correct spark plugs

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
So I was reading a discussion about timing to change spark plugs and it occurred to me that mine has 500 + hours so I started online search for pricing etc. Tempest catalogue says my engine needs URHM32E or 37 E. I still have a box from old plugs and it says URHM38E.The difference is only heat ratings. The plugs looked good at last annual and engine is running good for 500 + hours. What should I do ? Throw away plugs or just let them wear out?

its one of the things I will do in the hopes of preventing an aog on a long xc. I'd look at them first.

Get a spark plug gauge If they are worn out replace them if not run them.

ats_482.jpg

I would also ask what plugs you have. I've seen a lot of issues with Champion plugs and will not run them. Tempest plugs are much better.

The guys at Tempest know spark plugs, and can recommend which ones are best for your engine. I forget what I'm running in the 414, I think 32s. Basically the guy said the hotter range plugs didn't make any sense on that plane unless I was having fouling issues, which I do not.

There is also a question of massives vs. fine wire. I ran massives on the Aztec and 310 and had no issues (both planes naturally aspirated). I went with fine wires on the turbo planes since some have said that the fine wires work better for LOP on turbo birds. That's important to me. To some LOP doesn't matter on turbo engines, and massives are fine. I ran LOP on the 310 and Aztec with massives and it did just fine. I will say the 414 seems to run extremely smoothly with the fine wire plugs.

If you have Tempest plugs currently and they aren't fouling, I wouldn't worry about changing them out until you start to get some fouling problems.

Mike Busch has a great webinar on spark plugs on the EAA website, if your a member. If not, I would search the net for articles he has written on the subject.

Tempest massive plugs on IO 540 K1G5
Called them . Guy says it should be good since fine wires with the same designation are for that engine. He says it must be typo and they will be corrected in new edition

Back