Do Foreflight Planning on PC Platform, Finally!

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Maybe I'm the last to try this, but thought I'd post just in case.

If you're like me, you have been counting the days until you can you your Foreflight planning on ANY PC, plus your iPad / telephone. Well, wait to no longer.

AOPA's flight planner (https://www.aopa.org/flightplanner/index.cfm) is now compatible with Foreflight. Simply use their on-line web-based tool (free for AOPA members) to do your flight planning. All the usual WX, TFR, etc., capabilities are there...plus a new very cool fuel app that helps you figure out graphically how far you can go, given wind conditions (don't depend on this, of course...verify the calcs!).

When you're done and filed (DUATS) or even before filing, simply hit a button. The button e-mails you your flight plan in a nice format, with a link that transfers the whole plan into Foreflight...aircraft, route, everything.

I tried it on a recent flight, and everything worked perfectly.

Finally!

Maybe I'm the last to try this, but thought I'd post just in case.

If you're like me, you have been counting the days until you can you your Foreflight planning on ANY PC, plus your iPad / telephone. Well, wait to no longer.

AOPA's flight planner (https://www.aopa.org/flightplanner/index.cfm) is now compatible with Foreflight. Simply use their on-line web-based tool (free for AOPA members) to do your flight planning. All the usual WX, TFR, etc., capabilities are there...plus a new very cool fuel app that helps you figure out graphically how far you can go, given wind conditions (don't depend on this, of course...verify the calcs!).

When you're done and filed (DUATS) or even before filing, simply hit a button. The button e-mails you your flight plan in a nice format, with a link that transfers the whole plan into Foreflight...aircraft, route, everything.

I tried it on a recent flight, and everything worked perfectly.

Finally!

P.S. - Yes, Foreflight also has their own web app. I am in the Beta testing group. Last time I tested it several months ago, the functionality was extremely limited...too limited to even be of much use.

P.S. - Yes, Foreflight also has their own web app. I am in the Beta testing group. Last time I tested it several months ago, the functionality was extremely limited...too limited to even be of much use.
Yeah. Still waiting on that one...

...which is why the ability to export to ForeFlight and other EFB apps led me to look at the AOPA flight planner for the first time in many years. Pretty nice for VFR, but the first thing I looked for to make it useful to me for IFR - access to suggested routes previously cleared by ATC - wasn't there (unless I missed it)

Concur. Needs a lot more work.

SkyVector has a "send to" ForeFlight function as well.

If you're working on your plan on a PC, you can send an email link that you can open on your iPad; if you have the plan open in SkyVecor on the iPad, then it can open it in ForeFlight directly.

Same thoughts on it here. Used it once, never went back.

Back