Do commercial airliners slow down for turbulence?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I was on a flight recently in the turbulence is what I would describe as very intense. Do they just Full Throttle right on through that stuff or do they slow down to whatever their version of maneuvering speed is?

Turb penetration speed on the triple is (at my place) 270kts below 25,000' and 280kts/.82M (whichever is lower) at or above 25,000'. In severe turb you want to maintain at least 15kts above min maneuvering speed when the speed is below .82M

And in general we'll slow down if the ride sucks. Even a couple .0x of mach makes a difference.

Yeah, we'll slow it down. It's not a huge speed reduction, though.

Our turbulent speed specifies "severe turbulence", so theoretically it's never really needed unless you're going to write it up anyway. That said, most will slow to .76 but the real issue is bumping the barber pole.

Didn't you see the movie, "Flight?" That's how you do it!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Slow to .75 like jordane. However, the CA's definition of rough is normally vastly different from mine. Guess I haven't seen through true S@#$ yet! LOL I've been bounced off the ceiling and the CA still tells me to keep it fast?!?!

Slow to .75 like jordane. However, the CA's definition of rough is normally vastly different from mine. Guess I haven't seen through true S@#$ yet! LOL I've been bounced off the ceiling and the CA still tells me to keep it fast?!?!
Dude it's so different from captain to captain. I've had captains like your example and I've had others that wanted me to slow down with the slightest amount of turbulence.

Dude it's so different from captain to captain. I've had captains like your example and I've had others that wanted me to slow down with the slightest amount of turbulence.

Yeah, no kidding. I scared the crap out of the last captain I flew with because of my landing style. We hit wind shear that shoved us +20kts fast over the numbers. So I throttled back to keep us from rising like an elevator and just flared a bit high. He started yelling FLARE MORE FLARE MORE as I smoothly touched down. He said he thought I was about to drive the gear through the wings.

Yeah, no kidding. I scared the crap out of the last captain I flew with because of my landing style. We hit wind shear that shoved us +20kts fast over the numbers. So I throttled back to keep us from rising like an elevator and just flared a bit high. He started yelling FLARE MORE FLARE MORE as I smoothly touched down. He said he thought I was about to drive the gear through the wings.
Luckily I haven't scared anyone (yet):). My favorite is the captain who tries to play check airman and quizzes me on systems and limitations:rolleyes:

On the southwest flight coming back from punta Cana Sunday we hit some rough air and I could hear him throttle it back alittle. Or atleast sounded like it

For an occasional light chop or turbulence we may not. However anything worse than that absolutely. On my fleet turbulence penetration is 280/.75 whichever is less. You'll even hear it on the radio on occasion on the rough day when atc wants us in the airliners to go fast and we tell them unable due to the ride the most we can do is xx

Back