Do any maintenance records need to be in the plane?

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
I'm helping a friend organise the paperwork for his plane. He's been flying around with all the paperwork ever produced for the plane which seems pointless. I want to reduce it to only what needs to be in the plane and keep the rest elsewhere.

He's got a bunch STC forms, 337s, and instructions for continuing airworthiness.
Am I correct that none of these need to be kept in the plane?
Is there anything other than the AFM, AFM supplements, and W+B info that I should be looking for to keep with the plane?

Used to be, needed to carry the stc for any aftermarket fuel tanks when traveling near the border. Otherwise, specifically make a point to not carry all that in the a/c.

Most of the commercial aircraft I flew had a single summary sheet saying when the last annual/100 hour had been done and when the next was due, etc, etc. not "official" by any means but nice to have if for no other reason than the pilot can reference it easily.

Used to be, needed to carry the stc for any aftermarket fuel tanks when traveling near the border. Otherwise, specifically make a point to not carry all that in the a/c.

What you are think of is this:

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this appendix, for a major repair or major alteration made by a person authorized in §43.17, the person who performs the major repair or major alteration and the person authorized by §43.17 to approve that work shall execute an FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—

(1) Given to the aircraft owner; and

(2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

(d) For extended-range fuel tanks installed within the passenger compartment or a baggage compartment, the person who performs the work and the person authorized to approve the work by §43.7 shall execute an FAA Form 337 in at least triplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—
(1) Placed on board the aircraft as specified in §91.417 of this chapter;

(2) Given to the aircraft owner; and
(3) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft

That doesn't say the STC, but the 337 approving it for return to service. Now there is an out here and that is optional fuel tanks in the cabin installed at the factory most likely won't have a 337 for it.

No, and they shouldn't be IMHO. Like your personal logbook, in the event of a ramp check or other "encounter" with the FAA, you want to have an opportunity to check all the Is and dot all the Ts before you let the FAA look at your books and records.

That's it, Brian - thanks. I had an airplane like that, 15 years ago and was required to carry that around. Otherwise, 'no mx logs on the a/c'.

The 337 that installs the auto fuel STC must be kept in the aircraft.

You're not flying a pt135/121 ship, guessing you don't have huge transpacific ferry bladders taking up the back seat, so you're standard issue vanilla pt91

Take all that stuff and put it in a safe place, better yet, scan it and then put it in a safe place.

For your situation, there is no reason a PPL in a pt91 plane should have ANY logs (person or plane) in the aircraft, zero benefit, but decent sized risk, just don't do it.

All you need is AROW

Airworthness (little post card sized paper)

Registration (about the same size as the Airworthness)

Operators handbook (your POH)

Weight and balance info, (this is the current W&B from a A&P with all the current stuff installed on the plane, normally one sheet of paper).

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought, but I wanted to double check before telling him he didn't need it in the plane.
Plane doesn't have any aftermarket fuel tanks or auto fuel STCs, so we're good there.

Most of the commercial aircraft I flew had a single summary sheet saying when the last annual/100 hour had been done and when the next was due, etc, etc. not "official" by any means but nice to have if for no other reason than the pilot can reference it easily.

Yep. I'm making one of these too.

I thought I read somewhere that if you had equipment installed other than from the factory that the operator's manual must be in the aircraft. I can't find the reference right now, but might be something to look into.

I thought I read somewhere that if you had equipment installed other than from the factory that the operator's manual must be in the aircraft. I can't find the reference right now, but might be something to look into.

Some equipment does require a flight manual supplement. IFR GPSs are a common one.

Back