DME/DME RNAV

warning: this post probably doesn't help you...

the procedure(s) or the equipment?

and why wouldn't you use GPS-based RNAV instead?

Are these available for bugsmashers?

Not that I know of. The old FMS that we had in the Citation, GNS-XES, did GPS, DME/DME and Loran. It worked with 2 Collins 442 DME's that tracked 3 stations per unit, total 6. When I started flying it in 2007 they were blocking GPS around White Sands and we would lose GPS departing GAI. White Sands happened 20% and GAI 50% of the time. Even after they shut down Loran in 2010 we did not have problems using DME/DME. From 2007 to 2010 around White Sands planes would start reporting loss of GPS and requesting vectors. Center would eventually ask us if we needed a heading. I loved saying no, we have Loran!

We replaced the FMS with twin 750's 5 years ago and do not remember losing GPS with them.

I still have an GNS-XES with the data loader if anyone wants it. :)

warning: this post probably doesn't help you...

the procedure(s) or the equipment?

and why wouldn't you use GPS-based RNAV instead?
The equipment. The thing that got me to asking was about the MON and how it’s going to be used if it becomes necessary to use it. In other words, ain’t no GPS.

Last edited:
The equipment. The thing that got me to asking was about the MON and how it’s going to be used if it becomes necessary to use it. In other words, ain’t no GPS.
You can probably find a KNS-80 or KNS-81 pretty cheap and do rho-theta RNAV.

You can probably find a KNS-80 or KNS-81 pretty cheap and do rho-theta RNAV.
Those were VOR/DME RNAV’s weren’t they? Might help some. But given the number of VOR’s going bye bye, especially in the East, how much I wonder. And I wonder if they are even authorized to do RNAV Approaches with.

Those were VOR/DME RNAV’s weren’t they? Might help some. But given the number of VOR’s going bye bye, especially in the East, how much I wonder. And I wonder if they are even authorized to do RNAV Approaches with.
There used to be RNAV approaches that you could do with them, but I haven’t seen any for a long time.

FWIW, DME/DME isn’t authorized for approaches as far as I know. The

That's what they were. They are all gone. And, using DME/DME as a sensor for GPS IAPs is not permitted. Having said that DME/DME is permitted on some SIDs and STARs to accommodate the early RNAV airliners that are pre-GPS.

They should be able to be used for point to point navigation for enroute, even with the MON program reductions. Terminal use may be problematic if there isn't a VOR-DME or VORTAC close by. All the RNAV VOR/DME approaches have been deleted. I still have a KNS80 Rho/Theta RNAV system as my GPS backup to my GTN 750Xi.

Back