DME died - do NOT recommend GPS

Call bevan I guess? Or wait till I pull mine out. I've got it built into the cdi. Really a cool unit.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
An update...Bevan's isn't working on Narco anymore. Saving my pennies for a GPS but won't have it until October, but wanted to get thru the IFR in Sept.

Another year down the drain. With this rate, I may exceed Nate's 20 year schedule.
Email off to RC Avionics, as suggested by Bevan.

Don’t know how long you’ve worked on it. But it was 2012 when I had my first instrument lesson and I’m now with every box checked except the check ride. That’s normal for me though. I was thirty years old when I graduated from college.

Last edited:
Call Sandhills Avionics in Carthage, NC...talk to Jeff...not sure he can help, but give it a try.

You do know there are several on ebay ?

It takes as long as it takes. Like @MBDiagMan, I have all the requirements done, and one expired written. Just need to take the written again and schedule a ride. I have been training weekly for a couple months. I think 2021 will be the year.

Call Sandhills Avionics in Carthage, NC...talk to Jeff...not sure he can help, but give it a try.

You do know there are several on ebay ?
From Jeff:
“The miracle has already happened, in that your DME lasted this long. These "affordable" units were assembled in the U.S.A. using genuine Inferior components and 1980's technology”

2 down 1 recommended shop to go

From Jeff:
“The miracle has already happened, in that your DME lasted this long. These "affordable" units were assembled in the U.S.A. using genuine Inferior components and 1980's technology”

1980's tech is still better than our engine tech.

Murphey, the pull out and it worked, quit when you changed frequency implies that the frequency selector contacts are oxidized or dirty.

Pull it out again, pull the covers off, top and bottom, and spray all the segments and wipers on the frequency selectors, spin them a number of turns, and spray again. Repeat several times.

A previous poster described his shop reflowed the solder on some joints of the circuit boards. I have had good success doing this, but a skilled technician should do it for you. In the solid state world, a unit that has worked for 50 years, some form of corrosion is the most likely fault.

Best wishes for the check ride, patience is a winning plan. I did my check ride in a plane with no GPS, no DME, and no ADF. Dual VOR's and ILS were my equipment, and I did VOR approaches with the station on the field, and remote, plus holding patterns defined by intersecting radials. The missed approach was also to a hold defined by radials, so a lot of frequency changes from the hold, to the approach, them hold at the missed destination.

GPS makes all that much easier, but a good pilot can do with the traditional equipment. If you are skilled with that, you are in fine shape if the GPS system has a burp when you are IFR. I had that happen when I was along the coast of Florida when the Navy was testing some jamming equipment.. Not a problem, since I was fully qualified to fly without GPS.

From Jeff:

I think Jeff is getting lazy in his old age...he has turned away the last three customers I recommended....I was an amateur radio tech repair guy in my younger days....I always took a look before condemning a radio. Good Luck !

Murphey, the pull out and it worked, quit when you changed frequency implies that the frequency selector contacts are oxidized or dirty.

Pull it out again, pull the covers off, top and bottom, and spray all the segments and wipers on the frequency selectors, spin them a number of turns, and spray again. Repeat several times.

A previous poster described his shop reflowed the solder on some joints of the circuit boards. I have had good success doing this, but a skilled technician should do it for you. In the solid state world, a unit that has worked for 50 years, some form of corrosion is the most likely fault.

Best wishes for the check ride, patience is a winning plan. I did my check ride in a plane with no GPS, no DME, and no ADF. Dual VOR's and ILS were my equipment, and I did VOR approaches with the station on the field, and remote, plus holding patterns defined by intersecting radials. The missed approach was also to a hold defined by radials, so a lot of frequency changes from the hold, to the approach, them hold at the missed destination.

GPS makes all that much easier, but a good pilot can do with the traditional equipment. If you are skilled with that, you are in fine shape if the GPS system has a burp when you are IFR. I had that happen when I was along the coast of Florida when the Navy was testing some jamming equipment.. Not a problem, since I was fully qualified to fly without GPS.
Ta Da! First, had to find the right allen/hex screwdriver. Fortunately, I have a collection. Got it out of the cherokee, on the table pulled it apart, followed above directions and it works!

Out here, there’s a GPS notice every week. We’re used to it.

Happy the old technology is still solid. I have done a lot of testing and repair of similar equipment, non flying, but much the same in my civilian occupation, and previously as an Army radio repairman.
Corrosion on exposed contacts is an ongoing, easily repaired issue.

Now, ace the ride!

Back