DME arcs in San Diego

But the DPE may fail the GPS on the IR checkride and make you do it manually

Go ahead and fail the GPS..... If the plane has a DME.... then flying an arc is not that hard....

If the plane does NOT have a DME , then the DPE cannot make the pilot fly that approach...:no::no:

If you don't have a DME, you won't legally be given a DME arc on the checkride (GPS or not).

If you don't have a DME, you won't legally be given a DME arc on the checkride (GPS or not).

GPS counts as DME, but if that's your only DME and he fails it then you can't fly the arc.

But that DME is out of service.

As if Victorville ever has IMC...

That was not the question... Yes that has been OTS for a long time. The question was finding an arc with step down points along the arc.

When the do have low IMC it's blowing dust so hard you are not going there anyway.

GPS counts as DME, but if that's your only DME and he fails it then you can't fly the arc.

Again, the PTS says that the DME tasks do not apply if you don't have DME.
It matters NOT if you have a GPS. The examiner should not assign the DME tasks if there is no REAL DME in the aircraft.

Again, the PTS says that the DME tasks do not apply if you don't have DME.
It matters NOT if you have a GPS. The examiner should not assign the DME tasks if there is no REAL DME in the aircraft.

I have a 430, no separate DME. Had to fly an arc. Distance is distance.

If you don't have a dedicated DME, but do have a GPS are you legal to fly an approach that requires DME? Every source I've seen says yes, so why would being tested on a DME arc be any different. Whether you're getting the distance from a ground beacon, or satellites you are getting distance.

Here you go, even the FAA seems to agree. If it can be used on an approach, there's no reason it can't be used on a checkride. Distance Measuring Equipment means just that, equipment that measures distance. GPS fulfills that role.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/90-108.pdf

7. USES OF SUITABLE RNAV SYSTEMS.
a. Usage of Suitable RNAV Systems. Subject to the operating requirements in this AC,
operators may use a suitable RNAV system in the following ways.
(1) Determine aircraft position relative to or distance from a VOR (see first note in
subparagraph 7b), TACAN, NDB, compass locator (see second note in subparagraph 7b), DME
fix; or a named fix defined by a VOR radial, TACAN course, NDB bearing, or compass locator
bearing intersecting a VOR or Localizer (LOC) course.
(2) Navigate to or from a VOR, TACAN, NDB, or compass locator.
(3) Hold over a VOR, TACAN, NDB, compass locator, or DME fix.
(4) Fly an arc based upon DME.

I have a 430, no separate DME. Had to fly an arc. Distance is distance.
Your DPE didn't follow the PTS then.

If you don't have a dedicated DME, but do have a GPS are you legal to fly an approach that requires DME? Every source I've seen says yes, so why would being tested on a DME arc be any different. Whether you're getting the distance from a ground beacon, or satellites you are getting distance.

But there you are WRONG. The PTS disclaims the DME tasks for aircraft that don't have DME. Now, if you had an approach that required DME that you could legally substitute a GPS for that is one thing, but the instructor can't reasonably request you to go fly a random DME arc. It's contrary to the PTS.

Your DPE didn't follow the PTS then.

Are you relying on the fact that the instrument rating PTS says that 'any reference to DME arcs ... shall be disregarded if the aircraft is not equipped with these specified navigational systems."?

IF AC 90-108 specifically tells us that a suitable RNAV system (e.g. GPS) can be used for a DME procedure (e.g. flying an arc based upon DME), isn't it reasonable for the DPE to regard the aircraft as being "equipped" for DME navigation and require the student to use the GPS for that purpose?

Not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand. It certainly seems that reasonable people could disagree on the answer.

By the way, the first page of AC 90-108 seems to suggest that it only applies to GPS being a "substitute" for DME equipment that is installed but INOP, or an "alternate" for DME equipment that is installed but the pilot doesn't want to separately monitor it.

Would the answer change for somebody taking a practical test in these different planes?:
(1) DME equipment installed and fully operational
(2) DME equipment installed, but disabled and marked INOP
(3) DME equipment not installed at all

I'm thinking that the first two may be fair game for the DPE to require that GPS be used to fly a DME arc, but the third one not.

Are you relying on the fact that the instrument rating PTS says that 'any reference to DME arcs ... shall be disregarded if the aircraft is not equipped with these specified navigational systems."?

Exactly, each task that says something about DME arcs specifically has a NOTE that says "disregard if you don't have DME."

If you don't have a DME, these tasks are effectively NOT in the PTS.

It has SQUAT to do again with whether you can effectively use the GPS as a substitute. The regs don't say the PTS has to have coverage of all regimes of instrument flight. While I have a DME, I don't have an ADF so I did no ADF tasks.

When is the last time anyone actually flew one?

My last IPC. VOR/DME 35 into KOLM. The DME arc is really simple. The easiest way is to get set up on the arc and then set the DME to show speed to station. Keep that on 0 and you're pretty well set. Go back to distance to station now and then to make sure. In the meantime, set the OBS to the inbound radial and watch for it moving off the peg.

Or, fly in a plane in an approach certified GPS (like the GNS 430W in one of the club planes) and let it do the work for you. That countdown timer to the next turn really makes things even simpler.

Back