diverticulosis

U

Unregistered

A routine scoping showed moderate diverticulosis. Is this reportable on a 3rd class medical?
I also found out that my sometimes cramping and discomfort is diverticulitis. Again is this reportable and will it result in difficulties with my medical? I'm 77 and one of my planes is Sport Pilot eligible. I have the option of bag my medical and go Sport Pilot.

Thanks.

Years ago I had a single bout with it that I cleared up by eating a salad. I asked the AME at the time and he said it wasn't an issue. YMMV.

It must be reported on you medical application however it should not prevent your DME from issuing you a medical.

Diverticulosis is a general heading that includes asymptomatic diverticulosis, symptomatic diverticulosis, and diverticulitis. The first is not an issue for the FAA (but still must be reported), the last probably is, and the middle is maybe/maybe not. The fact that you have been diagnosed with diverticulitis rather than just diverticulosis is significant and complicates the issue. You might read the case study on page 10 of this AME Bulletin for more information on how the FAA handles this issue.

Without knowing more than I care to know about your particular situation, there is no way for anyone to advise you, and I'm not qualified to do so anyway even if I had your full medical records. For reliable assistance, you should contact an especially knowledgeable Aviation Medical Examiner such as Dr. Bruce Chien, who specializes in difficult aeromedical certifications. You can reach him either on the AOPA Forums or via his web site.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back