Diversity

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Toying with the idea of upgrading my transponder. Looking at a Garmin 345R. The diversity version of this unit would nearly double the cost. I would like to visit Canada at some point, but have no definite plans or reason to go. I don't want to buy equipment that's already obsolete, but I also have a hard time doubling my spend for something I may only need once ten years from now. What's likely to change between now & then? I see the mandate has been delayed "indefinitely" for airspace below 12,500.

Maybe a tailbeacon x would be the solution if/ when I decide to cross the northern border? Maybe garmin will come up with a cheaper solution once the mandate goes into effect...something like a stinger antenna on the tailcone that can broadcast both directions?

Do you need integral Waas in the 345? The diversity option does not allows it to be a Waas source, which made my decision easy. I had the same thought though

Do you need integral Waas in the 345? The diversity option does not allows it to be a Waas source, which made my decision easy. I had the same thought though
I believe the gtn supplies waas to everything; at least I only have one gps antenna.

It will be interesting to see how Canada handles this situation. With the number of US planes that visit Canada, they could significantly hurt their tourism industry by not allowing planes into Canada without diversity ADS-B, which very few US planes have or will likely ever have.

Are diversity ADS-B mandates being discussed anywhere else other than Canada? Like the Caribbean or Bahamas?

If I'm reading things right, diversity simply means you have two antennas, one on the top and one on the bottom, instead of just one. Is that right?

I'd take my chances that diversity won't be required for bugsmashers.

If I'm reading things right, diversity simply means you have two antennas, one on the top and one on the bottom, instead of just one. Is that right?
Short answer is yes, but apparently it takes two whole transponders working in tandem to make this happen, which is why the 345dr costs almost double the 345r. Uavionix appears to get away with one transponder due to the fact its mounted on the tail and not obscured up or down by the fuse. There's also a lot of opinion/ evidence/ conjecture that our little spam cans don't really need two antennas, the signal is strong enough to be picked up from underneath, and all the testing showing the need for two antennas was done on bizjets/ airliners because that's all nav canada and every other aeronautical rule making body cares about.

Are diversity ADS-B mandates being discussed anywhere else other than Canada? Like the Caribbean or Bahamas?
I read some rumors that the faa was considering using the space based adsb network for the airspace they control in the Caribbean, but hadn't made any decisions yet, like maybe they were waiting to see how it works out in Canadistan.

I feel like you do, I'd love to explore Canada some day but don't have a pressing need to fly there. And, for me, they'd have to allow basicmed first. When I did my panel upgrade I asked the shop to run a wire for the extra antenna, but other than that installed a non-diversity transponder for now.

I've got to believe they'll figure out a lower cost compliance option, given they haven't even set a schedule yet for mandatory compliance.

The quote for the 345 came back higher than expected (don't they always?), So I'll probably be taking the wait & see approach. Current equipment is functional. Just doesn't seem like you can get anything done avionics wise for less than 10 grand.

How much if I may ask?

How much if I may ask?

3500 of which is labor which seems like a lot. Granted they have to take the interior out & run new cable to the back, but there’s no fabrication.

Yeah, that’s attention getting.

I guess that’s why people try to do all the work at once if the panel and interior is opened up.

For big airplanes, it's required in many many places. For small/GA stuff, Canada is the only real location discussing it.

Diversity is actually…..

Soooooo what I'm getting out of all this is Transport Canada is more unreasonable than the FAA. 'Murica for the win

Damn, I was able to pick up a lynx-9000d+ for ~4.5k and the install is around 20hrs. So another screen, all sorts of features, the non-adsb traffic detection, access to Canadian airspace assured, and cheaper than the Garmin diversity. I see more for sale, just have to make sure you get all parts.

Back