Ditch the Stir Stick

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Ive come up with a way to SAVE THE WORLD!!!

Okay, maybe not. But it's a way to use less and it make life easier!

The idea is this: put your cream and sugar in FIRST. The action of pouring the coffee naturally stirs the cream and sugar at the bottom evenly and effortlessly. By the time the cup is full the mixture is perfect and best yet you do not need to waste a little plastic or wooden stirrer.

We pilots drink a ton of coffee. Every FBO (nearly) gives the stuff away for free. If we all just used this time saving technique we could put the powerful stir stick lobby out of business. We could reduce land fills and save wildlife. Species could be saved.

That's it, cream and sugar first, then fill. What do you think?

Discuss. <------- That's for you Rotor. : )

The idea is this: put your cream and sugar in FIRST. The action of pouring the coffee naturally stirs the cream and sugar at the bottom evenly and effortlessly. By the time the cup is full the mixture is perfect and best yet you do not need to waste a little plastic or wooden stirrer.

We pilots drink a ton of coffee. Every FBO (nearly) gives the stuff away for free. If we all just used this time saving technique we could put the powerful stir stick lobby out of business. We could reduce land fills and save wildlife. Species could be saved.

Doesn't work for me with the amount of sugar I use, I'll just end up with a sugar sludge at the bottom. Eliminating stir sticks is fine though, they are awfully wastefull, I have no problem using a pen, community spoon, stick off the ground, whatever.

That's what I do. Works fine for artificial sweeteners; not so much for white sugar and hardly at all for the coarse "natural" or "raw" sugars. Those still need supplementary agitation.

Just do your coffee black, and the problem is solved!
Once you go black, you won't go back! :)
Zero calories and all the caffeine!

Yack!:no: I need the calories anyway. If I want caffeine alone I can get that in pill form.

Heck no. Coffee is just there to give the sugar and cream some flavor!

Why do you wish to put people out of work? :wink2:

That's what I do. Works fine for artificial sweeteners; not so much for white sugar and hardly at all for the coarse "natural" or "raw" sugars. Those still need supplementary agitation.

I just use the International Delights French Vanilla creamer. 2 birds with 1 stone type of thing I guess. No worries about sugar sludge at the bottom and no stirrer required!

I just use the International Delights French Vanilla creamer. 2 birds with 1 stone type of thing I guess. No worries about sugar sludge at the bottom and no stirrer required!

Yack, + that stuff is a liquid heart attack.

Yack, + that stuff is a liquid heart attack.
Leslie uses Nestle's "Natural Bliss". Ingredients: nonfat milk, heavy cream, sugar, natural flavors.

Hmmm... I like my coffee black. She likes her coffee white.:dunno:

Drink your coffee black like a real man and you won't have this kind of problem.

:)

I do the same thing to reduce the amount of stirring required. Henning's right - lack of stirring will simply result in sugary sludge in the bottom.

Spoon works for me.

I don't drink coffee, so that's never bothered me, but take them away from bar tenders! Jack and Coke and a stir stick? If it's poured right, there should be so little Coke that it's really just for coloring and gone in one sip anyways. Plus, if you pour them at the same time, the Coke color is pre-mixed.

Drink your coffee black like a real man and you won't have this kind of problem.

Exactly. Real pilots drink their coffee black.

This might get moved to the spin zone...

Dan

As something of a coffee nut, and the server of many thousands of pots of Wolfgang Puck coffee (which we provide to our guests at the hotel), I can attest to the need for a stir stick or spoon.

Why? Because coffee cups vary in size. For example, we provide gigantic "Amelia's Landing" ceramic mugs with breakfast that require more sweetener and cream than your standard styrofoam cup. Thus, guests pour the coffee and then sweeten/cream to taste.

The stir stick lobby is safe. :lol:

What irks me are the tea drinkers....but that's another topic. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, Chuck Norris drinks Mountain Dew.

I don't drink coffee, so that's never bothered me, but take them away from bar tenders! Jack and Coke and a stir stick? If it's poured right, there should be so little Coke that it's really just for coloring and gone in one sip anyways. Plus, if you pour them at the same time, the Coke color is pre-mixed.

I'd agree that a stir stick with a mixed drink doesn't make much sense.

But for at least the first half of the Crown bottle I want to have a more even mix between the Crown and Coke. By the time the first half of the bottle is gone, I probably can't tell much of a difference.

Tony? Chris?

I keep my stir stick as long as I can. Usually until the empty coffee cup gets knocked off my tool box and the stick flys off in to never land.

But for at least the first half of the Crown bottle I want to have a more even mix between the Crown and Coke. By the time the first half of the bottle is gone, I probably can't tell much of a difference.

Tony? Chris?

Coke in whiskey? Blasphemy... Didn't prohibition end like 80 years ago?

All you people hanging out around the coffee maker mixing up some sort of liquid diabetes need to get out of the way. Pour the coffee in cup. Done.

What irks me are the tea drinkers....but that's another topic. :rolleyes:

I drank black coffee for close to 30 years. I now drink tea with milk and sugar. What's yer problem?

I've found if I can take the coffee black, then adulterating it with milk and sugar doesn't help it much. I drink coffee I've recently roasted myself from green beans that I primarily buy from one of two plantations in Kona.

It's a good idea. I drink black except for Starbucks which is so strong it needs -something-.

I've found if I can take the coffee black, then adulterating it with milk and sugar doesn't help it much. I drink coffee I've recently roasted myself from green beans that I primarily buy from one of two plantations in Kona.

Coffee snob!

(Nice to meet you, from a fellow coffee snob!)

.......stir stick lobby out of business. We could reduce land fills and save wildlife. Species could be saved.

You have crossed to the dark side....

Attachments

• tree hugger.jpg
    tree hugger.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 15

Tony? Chris?

Why adulterate Jack or Crown with Coke? On the rocks, thank you very much. :D

And what is this coffee stuff you all are talking about? That's a taste I never acquired. Saves lots of money that way. :D

Yup... if theres no cream or sugar im never disappointed.
Bad coffee, however.... that can ruin my morning.

It should be noted that several years ago was when I last had a Crown and Coke.

On the rocks? Blasphemy. Straight up like a real man or don't waste it! :D

The stir sticks in mixed drinks does the same thing for mixed drink drinkers as the label does for bottle beer drinkers. They need something to do when not drinking.

I've been doing it that way for years... I don't think you can get a patent on that, I already have it.

Well, I'll forego MY 1975 patent infringement if you simply agree to help spread the word.

I drank black coffee for close to 30 years. I now drink tea with milk and sugar. What's yer problem?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like a good cup of green tea, and my wife drinks tea exclusively.

Because of this, my wife insists that we offer our guests a "tea option" with our delivered breakfast. Since I do the preliminary set up for each room, guess who gets to set up all that tea? :rolleyes:

Again, this isn't too big a deal -- but (for whatever reason) about 70% of the people who request tea never brew it. Since this represents an enormous expenditure of pointless effort on my part, I've grown to resent tea drinkers. :D

In contrast, 90+% of the people who request coffee brew it. I have no idea why this differential exists, but it does.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like a good cup of green tea, and my wife drinks tea exclusively.

Because of this, my wife insists that we offer our guests a "tea option" with our delivered breakfast. Since I do the preliminary set up for each room, guess who gets to set up all that tea? :rolleyes:

Again, this isn't too big a deal -- but (for whatever reason) about 70% of the people who request tea never brew it. Since this represents an enormous expenditure of pointless effort on my part, I've grown to resent tea drinkers. :D

In contrast, 90+% of the people who request coffee brew it. I have no idea why this differential exists, but it does.

As a corporate pilot I can feel your pain. Every single live leg we have a fresh pot of coffee and hot water for tea. I'd estimate LESS than 1 percent of live leg flights drink coffee. Corporate aviation expends thousands of gallons of coffee every day for no reason. It's cheap (free to us) so nobody cares.

Point is I feel your pain (by that I mean my FO does).

And what is this coffee stuff you all are talking about? That's a taste I never acquired. Saves lots of money that way. :D

Whiskey is best with a splash of soda for bubbles, but straight or rocks is fine.

I seem to remember a day when coffee drinkers saved mone as it was the cheapest drink.

Back