Disturbed

Man I have fond memories of that song from back in the day. Disturbed's video gave me the impression of how real music has died, meaning sampling, autotune, stuff like that replacing actually going with the raw sounds of instruments and vocals. I liked the dude's voice, powerful, good range, and hits the notes. Did you know Roy Orbison from the 50s had a 3 octave range?

Another group, Shinedown, did covers of "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and "I Feel The Earth Move" by Carol King, very good too.

Different sort of post for me. For the uninitiated, Disturbed is a heavy metal band, with lead singer David Draiman. I was a loyal fan during my rebellious days, and still appreciate them. They've done a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. While Simon and Garfunkel came to prominence before my time, I like their music, and I own Bridge Over Troubled Water.

This is not the typical style for Disturbed. But I found this to be a really impressive and powerful cover. Even my mid-60s year old mother enjoyed it. Thought I'd share.

In general, I tend not to like cover versions of popular songs but there are a few exceptions, and the Disturbed version of the Sound of Silence is one of them. It's not that I don't like Simon and Garfunkel, it's just that I don't really get in to them. I was listening to Sound of Silence play while I was drinking at a bar in Saigon, and all I could think was 'gee, this is probably what pops listened to when he was over here.'

Another sort of dry song that has been spiced up by a remake is Tears for Fears rather dry Mad World, this version of which I can rock out to.

Might be a slight hijack, and pretty sure Lou is not going to take it (see what I did there?), but this reminds me of a cool remake where Dee Snider took his own Twisted Sister rock song and turned it into a pretty powerful ballad.

Someone knows I like covers...

Nauga,
across the Finnish line

The original just wasn't bombastic enough :rolleyes:

Nauga,
and his meat-suit

Well if we are going down that road....
I started there but figured the women's hockey team would be better appreciated here. :cool:

ETA: That means you have to watch it for a bit...

Nauga,
watching the clicks fly

One of my favorite bands in HS, nice to see they're still out there

Man I have fond memories of that song from back in the day. Disturbed's video gave me the impression of how real music has died, meaning sampling, autotune, stuff like that replacing actually going with the raw sounds of instruments and vocals. I liked the dude's voice, powerful, good range, and hits the notes. Did you know Roy Orbison from the 50s had a 3 octave range?

Another group, Shinedown, did covers of "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and "I Feel The Earth Move" by Carol King, very good too.

I always enjoyed their rendition of Simple Man, maybe more than the original.

Different sort of post for me. For the uninitiated, Disturbed is a heavy metal band, with lead singer David Draiman. I was a loyal fan during my rebellious days, and still appreciate them. They've done a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. While Simon and Garfunkel came to prominence before my time, I like their music, and I own Bridge Over Troubled Water.

This is not the typical style for Disturbed. But I found this to be a really impressive and powerful cover. Even my mid-60s year old mother enjoyed it. Thought I'd share.

Sorry, can't stand it. I don't mind Distrubed, hell we had a drum beat based off of "DWTS" at OU we played in between downs. I think my biggest problem with it, (and Volbeat's cover, too) is that it sounds "forced". By that, I mean it sounds like they're trying to make it "hard rock" by just singing it with aggression and some power chords. The best part about Simon & Garfunkel, was their harmony, which is lost on most modern rock bands even though it was a staple back in the 60's/70's. It got lost somewhere with the 80's punk/hair bands and never returned.

Sorry, can't stand it. I don't mind Distrubed, hell we had a drum beat based off of "DWTS" at OU we played in between downs. I think my biggest problem with it, (and Volbeat's cover, too) is that it sounds "forced". By that, I mean it sounds like they're trying to make it "hard rock" by just singing it with aggression and some power chords. The best part about Simon & Garfunkel, was their harmony, which is lost on most modern rock bands even though it was a staple back in the 60's/70's. It got lost somewhere with the 80's punk/hair bands and never returned.

But that is the appeal, to those who like it. The original Simon & Garfunkel song is just that, a pleasant melody. Disturbed transforms it in to something powerful and moving. Just different tastes, that's all. Some will like it, some will hate it.

But that is the appeal, to those who like it. The original Simon & Garfunkel song is just that, a pleasant melody. Disturbed transforms it in to something powerful and moving. Just different tastes, that's all. Some will like it, some will hate it.
No argument that it's all personal preference. However, I don't think that hard rock and harmony should be mutually exclusive, especially when doing a cover of a song most noted for it's harmony. Don't even get me started on metal bands . . . lol.

But that is the appeal, to those who like it. The original Simon & Garfunkel song is just that, a pleasant melody. Disturbed transforms it in to something powerful and moving.
Definitely agree with the "to those who like it" part. I think Disturbed (and the others, including The Dickies version I posted) have turned something powerful and moving into unintentional parody. I don't particularly like the original either, but I do respect the art in it.

Nauga,
looking for the Residents' cover

This song has been covered a million times, but I thought this was a pretty good version

No Doubt had a version of Talk Talk's 'It's my life.' I don't like it as much as the original Talk Talk version, but it's probably my favorite song by No Doubt.

Found this version was quite nice

No Doubt had a version of Talk Talk's 'It's my life.' I don't like it as much as the original Talk Talk version, but it's probably my favorite song by No Doubt.

I heard the original Talk Talk version for the first time on the radio several few years ago, and I thought, "hey it's a cover of No Doubt". Boy did I feel dumb when I found out the truth. Anyway, I like better the singing on Talk Talk's version, but prefer the real instruments on No Doubt's cover. I think Gwen Stefani fundamentally misinterpreted the lyrics unfortunately.

Back