Distraction during take off

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
luckily not my learning moment

reminds me of how trees were filling up my windscreen at Crystal, MN last year...

A good lesson here, but this guy really talks way too much. I made it to 13:00 then turned him off.

Well he seemed to drag the heels of the floats trying to pull it off the water, didn’t keep it into ground effect and build up energy, but the biggest issue I had was dammmmnnnnn he talks a lot lol

Well he seemed to drag the heels of the floats trying to pull it off the water, didn’t keep it into ground effect and build up energy, but the biggest issue I had was dammmmnnnnn he talks a lot lol

WTF? Where you been?

I don’t think “I was distracted by making sure the cameras were working” is a reasonable excuse. My takeaway is the PIC should not be fooling with cameras while acting as pic.

I don’t think “I was distracted by making sure the cameras were working” is a reasonable excuse. My takeaway is the PIC should not be fooling with cameras while acting as pic.

To me it looked more like a issue of trying to fly a floatplane like a 172, I also heard that YouTube videos try to be 20min long for revenue reasons.

WTF? Where you been?

Just been crazy busy with some job stuff and moving around.

Talked too much. But, a lesson to learn. Maybe more than one.

Lesson one: Don't talk so much and communicate so little. Before, during, and after.

I skipped all the talking parts. First thing I saw was glassy water, and dilly dallying with starting the takeoff run. 432 minutes of talking for 30 seconds of video. Get over yourself, dude.

To me it looked more like a issue of trying to fly a floatplane like a 172, I also heard that YouTube videos try to be 20min long for revenue reasons.

Just been crazy busy with some job stuff and moving around.
He listed fooling the cameras as a factor at least 3 times, I think more, during the video.

He listed fooling the cameras as a factor at least 3 times, I think more, during the video.

Maybe that’s what he said, but around 7:20 looks like he kept trying to “rotate” like a low time trike pilot, only to drag his heels and slow down

Maybe that’s what he said, but around 7:20 looks like he kept trying to “rotate” like a low time trike pilot, only to drag his heels and slow down
He made many mistakes and he discussed them in the video, including not breaking the water in a timely fashion. But the one thing he said over and over was "worrying about the cameras was taxing his abilities to fly the plane correctly". The moral of his story was picking an abort point and sticking to it, which he did neither. I think that's a good moral, but I think not fooling with things that aren't flying the plane is a more important moral.

Once again we experience the old but well established dictate

Aviate, Navigate, then Communicate

He made many mistakes and he discussed them in the video, including not breaking the water in a timely fashion. But the one thing he said over and over was "worrying about the cameras was taxing his abilities to fly the plane correctly". The moral of his story was picking an abort point and sticking to it, which he did neither. I think that's a good moral, but I think not fooling with things that aren't flying the plane is a more important moral.

Maybe, but he seemed pretty focused on pulling back on that yoke a few times, didn’t look like he got distracted and forgot to do something, just looked like the something he was doing was the wrong thing :dunno:

The end result is he did not do what needed to be done. Why? Does he not know how to take-off? It seems logical to assume he knew what to do. So why didn't he do it? Because he was distracted! He was not focused on the primary task at hand...flying the airplane!

Call it what you may but, in my book, this is a classic case of distraction.

The end result is he did not do what needed to be done. Why? Does he not know how to take-off? It seems logical to assume he knew what to do. So why didn't he do it? Because he was distracted! He was not focused on the primary task at hand...flying the airplane!

Call it what you may but, in my book, this is a classic case of distraction.

Or lack of experience, I’ve seen the results of a few weekend float courses and it’s not uncommon to find someone who never actually docked, or did real glassy water, or ramped, or actually sailed, etc. The thing I’ve seen with distracted folks is it seems more common for them to forget to do something, gear, cowl plug, flaps, vs do the wrong thing over and over. But everyone reacts different I guess.

Here’s a rather somber video on seaplanes and distraction, also a good testimony for the need for egress training and always having a knife/hook knife on you or within reach.

Last edited:
A good lesson here, but this guy really talks way too much. I made it to 13:00 then turned him off.
You're way more patient than I am. I skipped through several minutes of him yapping and finally decided... I really didn't care what happened.

I made it almost 13 minutes also. I appreciate him putting this up there because there are valuable lessons. I just wonder about a guy that makes a living producing training videos acting in such an unsafe and unprofessional manner as a pilot and CFI.

I just wonder about a guy that makes a living producing training videos acting in such an unsafe and unprofessional manner as a pilot and CFI.
He has to protect his reputation as a professional video guy at all costs.

I made it almost 13 minutes also. I appreciate him putting this up there because there are valuable lessons. I just wonder about a guy that makes a living producing training videos acting in such an unsafe and unprofessional manner as a pilot and CFI.

What was unsafe?

It wasn’t pretty, but I didn’t for a second think he was about to pile it in

Maybe, but he seemed pretty focused on pulling back on that yoke a few times, didn’t look like he got distracted and forgot to do something, just looked like the something he was doing was the wrong thing :dunno:
Well, those of us that listened to the entire video are aware that he has float time and knew what to do, he just admitted he wasn't properly focused on the task at hand at the time. I don't blame you for not watching the entire thing. But you should consider that when discussing the topic. He certainly was not shy about admitting all the things he did wrong, if you actually suffer through the entire thing.

Well, those of us that listened to the entire video are aware that he has float time and knew what to do, he just admitted he wasn't properly focused on the task at hand at the time. I don't blame you for not watching the entire thing. But you should consider that when discussing the topic. He certainly was not shy about admitting all the things he did wrong, if you actually suffer through the entire thing.

His actions don’t match his words however, when you pull back like that and the heels drag, it’s pretty pronounced, as was the obvious lack of ground effect, something that’s used as default even in non confined areas with most seaplane dudes. Another thought was he did all that on purpose to make that video, “normal seaplane takeoff” 00:15, that probably wouldn’t get too many clicks.

His actions don’t match his words however, when you pull back like that and the heels drag, it’s pretty pronounced, as was the obvious lack of ground effect, something that’s used as default even in non confined areas with most seaplane dudes. Another thought was he did all that on purpose to make that video, “normal seaplane takeoff” 00:15, that probably wouldn’t get too many clicks.
Why do you waste so much time commenting on something you didn't even take the time to watch?

Why do you waste so much time commenting on something you didn't even take the time to watch?

Bored, you?

But I watched the takeoff, just skipped his gum flapping, res ipsa loquitur

Bored, you?

But I watched the takeoff, just skipped his gum flapping, res ipsa loquitur
Interesting. Don't listen to what the guy says, and then guess what he's saying. Ineffective, but entertaining.

Interesting. Don't listen to what the guy says, and then guess what he's saying. Ineffective, but entertaining.

Just took a listen,
Youtuber said the instructor is a high time float guy and he “has some watertime” which make sense.
The high time float CFI guy let the guy with little float experience make some rookie mistakes, as a good CFI should.
That whole thing was likely well within the safety margins for the CFI and should have been a learning experience for the youtuber, however it seems he decided to try to make a video into a half saving face vs admit he’s a rookie float pilot and learned about glassy water, vs blaming it on some stationary set and forget pro cameras.

The youtuber made (I’m guessing it was him because it’s hard to tell) two very clear attempts to 172 style rotate off glassy water then just keep a little back pressure till it lifted off, it looked more like a soft field 172 technique vs seaplane stuff.

To each their own, but had he made a video “I learned about real life glassy water today” and talked about how he didn’t really know how to operate on glassy water in real life and learned something with a high time float CFI, and didn’t make mention of his cameras or whatever, that would have been a good video.

He mentions early on that he has float time and many times that he knew what he should have done. I stopped at 12+ minutes because I think I got all he had to say on the subject. Well, obviously not ALL he had to say, but you know what I mean...

Take off run for max performance should start at the END of the lake and 90° right of the desired run. The left-turning tendencies will turn the airplane to the desired TO heading without the need for a bunch of right rudder which causes drag. Just power up and LET it turn left.

Then.... dragging the heels.......he never had a low drag run.

And, he should have made waves for 5 minutes by making 360's on the water to break a little of the glass.

Did I hear "full" tanks? Why?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back