Disney loved its no-fly zone — until it wanted to fly its own drones

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
Disney loved its no-fly zone — until it wanted to fly its own drones
The Washington Post

By Matt McFarland | January 22 at 11:31 AM Florida pilots know the rule well — you better steer clear of Disney’s Magic Kingdom, or else. It has been a no-fly zone for over a decade – a luxury afforded to none of the other 400 theme parks in the United States, and a point of contention lingering over “The Happiest Place on Earth.” But now Disney is asking the government for an exemption to the no-fly restrictions so that it can launch flocks of drones over Disney World and Disneyland, a move Read the full story

Shared from Apple News

Already a thread on this.... Somewhere.

Bottom line... Who cares??

I only care because of the "sauce for the goose" factor. They oughtn't have their own restrictions anyway.

It's a joke anyway. Nothing to do with security, everything to do with banner towing. Kinda like stadium TFRs.

Actually a very fair article. I assume that Disney will get the exemptions it wants, even though the just thing would be for the TFRs to simply go away. I'm also not surprised the FAA spokesman fibbed to the reporter:
An FAA spokesman said the Disney case is related to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, when temporary flight restrictions were issued over all major professional and collegiate sporting events, as well as major open-air assemblies of people. The agency points to laws Congress later passed as making the restrictions permanent. The laws the FAA cites, however, do not specifically mention theme parks.

I think they have a more complex issue than just the TFRs. The whole commercial operation at night, and more aircraft than pilots thing is an issue as well.

Actually a very fair article. I assume that Disney will get the exemptions it wants, even though the just thing would be for the TFRs to simply go away. I'm also not surprised the FAA spokesman fibbed to the reporter:
The laws passed by Congress don't specifically mention Disney, but they direct the FAA to continue certain NOTAMs that restricted flights over the Disney Parks.

The laws passed by Congress don't specifically mention Disney, but they direct the FAA to continue certain NOTAMs that restricted flights over the Disney Parks.

They also don't apply to "all major professional and collegiate sporting events."

I would love to see the FAA deny the request. Disney should be told "if you want to fly your drones, give up the TFRs".

The happiest place in the world,gets what they want,they will get to keep the TFR,and fly their own drones.

Here's the wording:

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_3634.html

>>>
FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY DISNEY WORLD EVENT AND VENUE ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER.
<<<

Sounds like the weasel-words are there, they just need someone to sign off.

Doesn't even sound like weasel words. Sounds clear cut and straight forward.

I still don't see why people here are getting their panties in a ball over this.

I agree.

I think the special treatment rubs people the wrong way.

Yes. Another problem is if every theme park got these restrictions it would make US airspace that much more unnecessarily complex.

Are the FAA briefers now supposed to know when six flags is open, where Mickey Mouse is, and if the ball game goes into overtime....

C'mon, I'd rather have pilots/briefers focused on safety issues than "security theatre" for the politicians.

The free market has a simple solution if you don't want banner towers to fly over your park. Pay them not to.

The free market has a simple solution if you don't want banner towers to fly over your park. Pay them not to.

Probably cheaper than buying a Congresscritter, but they get other bang-for-the-buck, owning one of those. Or two, or three, or however many they own.

I flew over Disney World once. Got a close up of the fireworks show they did every night. This was in 1993.

I'm not sure why everyone always has their panties in a ball over the Disney flight restriction.
Most, if not all large public assemblies have some sort of TFR.

I'm not sure why everyone always has their panties in a ball over the Disney flight restriction.
Most, if not all large public assemblies have some sort of TFR.

I'm an equal opportunity panty buncher. TFR doesn't do anything at all for security of such assemblies, just feel-good garbage.

I'm an equal opportunity panty buncher. TFR doesn't do anything at all for security of such assemblies, just feel-good garbage.
Remember the pic I posted six months ago of the airplane that tried to land in the (then) Baltimore Colts stadium?

Remember the pic I posted six months ago of the airplane that tried to land in the (then) Baltimore Colts stadium?

No. Was it epic?

Most aircraft bent on harming folks at a large gathering aren't going to be too concerned about making any landings.

No. Was it epic?

Most aircraft bent on harming folks at a large gathering aren't going to be too concerned about making any landings.
Just after stadium emptied...
I'll try to repost the pic. Stand by.

Probably cheaper than buying a Congresscritter, but they get other bang-for-the-buck, owning one of those. Or two, or three, or however many they own.

Not sure about that.

Seems like you can buy the smaller time ones for under 10k. With a good CPA you could probably write it off too. Seems like a good investment if you're needing to change rules around.

For you and me it would just be a issue of getting in to these "auctions" seems like if you aren't a bigger name you can't get in to buy em'

Not sure about that.

Seems like you can buy the smaller time ones for under 10k. With a good CPA you could probably write it off too. Seems like a good investment if you're needing to change rules around.

Just depends on how many you need and how high up the food chain.

If the money doesn't work, photos and blackmail probably suffice.

I have a pic of it, just can't figure out how to post it.

But yes, it was somewhat epic.

Just depends on how many you need and how high up the food chain.

If the money doesn't work, photos and blackmail probably suffice.

I'd wager buying them at the federal level is a magnitude more expensive, if a state level old Georgia boy goes for 7k, I'd wonder what a Clinton costs, too rich for my taste I'd imagine.

I have a pic of it, just can't figure out how to post it.

But yes, it was somewhat epic.

If you're on the web interface and you have it in a file, just drag and drop the file onto the post window.

It'll upload it and put a little box below your post text asking if you want to post it full size.

Nifty trick of the new software.

If you're on the web interface and you have it in a file, just drag and drop the file onto the post window.

It'll upload it and put a little box below your post text asking if you want to post it full size.

Nifty trick of the new software.
Actually I'm on an iPhone, and not super computer savvy.

Figured it out and trying to upload

Attachments

• IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 41
Lol!!!! Guess it uploaded three times!!

What is up with the site or is it just my inept picture posting abilities?

Approach lets planes fly over it all the time. Landed at KISM the other day and they took me right over the Epcot ball at 1800

Back