"Discovery Flight" Tomorrow

Circuit Flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Circuit Flyer
Out of New Orleans Lakefront Airport. It was scheduled for yesterday, but was cancelled due to failed mag grounding check. We've had uncommonly nice weather for New Orleans the last few days; I'm hoping all works out for tomorrow.

Enjoy the ride,your going to love it. Hopefully you'll get plenty of information out of it.

I clearly remember the anticipation for mine. You're in for a good time fo sho.

Careful , it can become addictive !!!!

Just finished! Thanks for asking. Perfect weather. Clear with 6KTS. Skyhawk with glass. CFI (Travis) let me taxi, take off, fly, turn, ride around a while, return to the strip and "land" (he let me stay on the controls, but he landed the plane). Unmitigated joy, and the fulfillment of a dream since boyhood (about half a century ago). Pure fun!

Glad you had fun.

I'd suggest skipping the glass unless you know that's the kind of airplane you'll be flying. A G1000 weighs almost as much as an adult, and it's a whole lot nicer to carry the extra adult. Virtually every Skyhawk flies the same, so get the cheapest one you can to learn on, provided it's in good mechanical shape (it's a bonus if it looks like hell, as that means you get to use it more).

Being good at round dials (or "steam gauges") opens up a lot of doors (a lot of airplanes are equipped that way), and helps get the eyeballs outside the airplane where they belong.

Thanks, MAKG1. That's what the CFI said. I was actually hoping for the old school six pack, for the very reasons you cited. I must say, though, the G1000 is very intuitive. A guy could get spoiled. I was impressed with the instructor, who, despite his youth, had an appreciation for taildraggers, which he described as feeling more "organic" than tricycle gear.

Congrats Circuit Flyer on your Discovery Flight. It sounds like you really enjoyed it. Welcome to General Aviation!

Thanks, somorris! I enjoyed it very much. I even got to use the radio. I was like a kid in a candy store.

Back