Disclaimers in videos

JonH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JonH
Does anyone find it necessary to put a disclaimer in a GA video, stating that it shouldn't be used for training purposes?

I know people can sue for anything, however it seems completely frivolous and wouldn't stand up in any court. I need to get an intro done for a youtube channel, and have to decide if I want that seemingly redundant, seemingly unnecessary, "don't use this for training" part.

Also, if you worked a full-time non-aviation related job, and flew for fun, would YouTube income be considered incidental?

Seems like I see a lot of CYA these days because there is always the one person.....

I think the disclaimer is probably a good idea, even though it reeks of frivolity. Granted, I'm not getting views in the quantities of FlightChops, SteveO or MrAviation, but you never know how many folks will watch your video(s). Editing for time and content can remove a lot of context. You never know who is going to "learn" something from your video (especially one where you may have an instructor with you), go out and apply it in practice, all sans the context that may be needed.

I certainly don't think anyone would watch something of mine and learn too much, much less apply it, but I threw a disclaimer on the last one I put up for the heck of it (and will probably keep doing so). If nothing else, it could save you from the faction of commenters saying things like, "You didn't make your traffic call/You skipped a checklist," and so on and so forth.

Statements or claims made in this forum are not to be used for training purposes.

There, I'm covered.

Just throw out "hey this is all cgi none of this is real" then you're good.

Does anyone find it necessary to put a disclaimer in a GA video, stating that it shouldn't be used for training purposes?
No. I did this one last night. Not recommended unless it's your home airport and in your homebuilt plane. Lake Ridge Aeropark, 8NC8, RV-10.

It reinforced my understanding that with anything less than a 10 knot tailwind component, it's better to land the other way because it is uphill. I went through with it anyway because I wanted to get out of the plane after a 4+ hour leg.

I purposely landed it a bit flat to get the wheels in the grass sooner.
Your turn

Back