dirty rotten scoundrels

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
I was awakened by a computerized phone call this morning that I just about hung up on, until I heard "possible fraud activities on your credit card". I got transferred to a someone at Chase fraud department who said "We've been alerted to a number of denied transaction attempts on your credit card. Can we verify if these are yours?"

Looks like someone got my credit card information and charged over $1000 to Bed Bath and Beyond and a shoe store yesterday. Denied transactions where to DHL and a couple of other internet sites. Chase said I'm not liable for any of it, they cancelled the account and started a fraud investigation. I would think these kinds of transactions would be easy to trace, since internet purchases have to be shipped to the recipient?

Thanks for the phone call, Chase. That was one early morning call I didn't mind getting. Made me feel like they were really on the ball.

gkainz said:
Thanks for the phone call, Chase. That was one early morning call I didn't mind getting. Made me feel like they were really on the ball.

The cop in me has to ask.. are you SURE it was Chase calling you, or someone getting your Chase account numbers in a phone phising session?

I don't answer any information about my financial accounts when someone calls me. I will make the phone call back to the company to verify it was really their CS who called.

ausrere said:
The cop in me has to ask.. are you SURE it was Chase calling you, or someone getting your Chase account numbers in a phone phising session?

I don't answer any information about my financial accounts when someone calls me. I will make the phone call back to the company to verify it was really their CS who called.

Lisa's got a good point; it's worrisome that you were "automatically transferred." Tell me they didn't ask for your credit card number or other personal information...

I got a call, or at least they tried to call me, when I refueled the rented car in Amana, IA. The first place the goofs go with a stolen credit card is to the gas pumps to fill up all their friends. That's why some pumps tell you to punch in your zip code, which I just read is difficult to do if you happen to live in England.

Now the phishers are sending emails telling you to call a phone number where they have a computer asking the usual, "Please enter your card number...The primarly holder's social security number".

They have also broken the token authentication systems by showing you their site while they do a man in the middle between you and the real bank. You see what looks like the bank's site and answer all the challenges and they feed them back and forth and attack you account ON THAT session.

This thievery is a big business. There are entire, huge organizations set up in the U.S. and overseas racking in $billions. The banks and law enforcement have got to stop ignoring it.

The best thing to do is hang up and call the number on your credit card and no other.

Last edited:
you were phished, if there is a question, chase will put a temp hold on, call you and ask you to go to your branch, better go check on it, before you get really hosed

Unless I know the caller: "Im sorry, but my wife and I are only house-sitting this residence while the owner is away on business."

The caller is, usually, gone in a flash.

HR

I have gotten the same call from GMAC at 2am before. It was not a phishing scam. Someone was trying to use my card in London to buy a fax machine.
I would call chase just to make sure, I called GMAC back right away and it was a legit call.

I strongly believe it was not a phishing call and I was not asked for my credit card number. They read off the account activity in reverse order and after 5 transactions that were not mine, did include valid account activity that I had transacted the day before. She also knew that there was an additional card issued in my son's name (which was for out of the country emergency use only - never got used).

I attempted to log onto my Chase card website maybe 30 minutes after the call, and my card no longer showed up there. I called Chase then, also to verify that a hotel reservation I made with the card would still be honored. The rep told me that the card would not show up on the website because the account was cancelled by Chase Fraud department with my permission. I have no doubt that this was all legitimate.

BTW, just called Chase again and asked for fraud department. They verified record of both conversations yesterday. I may have been just awakened, but I'm pretty alert for things that smell of phishing and scam attempts.

I did fall off a turnip truck, but not recently... :)

Last edited:
gkainz said:
I strongly believe it was not a phishing call and I was not asked for my credit card number. They read off the account activity in reverse order and after 5 transactions that were not mine, did include valid account activity that I had transacted the day before.

My experiance was similar but, it was a human that called. No questions about my account, just was I so and so, and did I buy x and y.

Usually the scammers start with something small (in my case $12 sunglasses) to see if its a valid account. If that works they amp it up (they then went for a top of the line lap top). Here's the weird part, I never used the account except as an auto-renewal for a subscription. I didn't even have the actual card, I would cut it as I arrived. Since that card was use maybe twice a year for under $50, they noticed the odd activity right away. Why didn't I close the account before...I had great credit with them and it was fee free, so...

gkainz said:

I didn't mean to insinuate that you did. It's the skeptic in me.. work hazard I suppose. You'd be surprised at how many fellow LEO's have been scammed this way though. You'd think they'd be some of the last people to give out personal info to a stranger on the phone.

Glad it was legit and that Chase is watching out for their customers.

ausrere said:
I didn't mean to insinuate that you did. It's the skeptic in me.. work hazard I suppose. You'd be surprised at how many fellow LEO's have been scammed this way though. You'd think they'd be some of the last people to give out personal info to a stranger on the phone.

Glad it was legit and that Chase is watching out for their customers.
Lisa, no harm, no foul, no hurt feelings :D Really! With all the different scams going on out there, one needs to be way more skeptical than comes naturally, especially when it catches one a bit off-guard, like early morning. I'm glad you posted what you did - more people need to be more wary, unfortunately.

Chase has a very active fraud detection program. The first couple of years after I had a Chase card, I would get a call from fraud investigation after I had called flower stores in Atlanta and Tennessee to order Mothers Day flowers for the two moms. After the first few years, they no longer called for that pattern of transactions. But when the card was stolen during our recent move, they knew about it before we did ... based on a gas station transaction.

After a long period of inactivity, at 11 am I topped off the bird at a new FBO. By 2pm the fraud department called to make sure it was me. These credit card people are on the ball.

Chip Sylverne said:
After a long period of inactivity, at 11 am I topped off the bird at a new FBO. By 2pm the fraud department called to make sure it was me. These credit card people are on the ball.
I had a regular call from Citibank Fraud Department a while back. I would fill my car's tank on the way to the airport - cheap gas. Then my rental and CFI fees would appear at Citibank's computers - where it looked like it came from a gas station, and nobody could believe the tank was that big! Particularly since I just bought gas down the street.

I finally got to a person who would put a note in the record that "Phillips 66" was not an automotive gas station, and that the charges from that place - the FBO - were OK. It was somewhat of a bother, but I am glad that they check.

-Skip

I do a lot of purchasing of toys and hobby supplies with my card, sometimes a thousand dollars worth. The fraud department never gave me a single call about it. Then one day I used my card to purchase a book at Barnes and Noble for $35.00 and the fraud department called as soon as I got back home. :dunno:

flyifrvfr said:
I do a lot of purchasing of toys and hobby supplies with my card, sometimes a thousand dollars worth. The fraud department never gave me a single call about it. Then one day I used my card to purchase a book at Barnes and Noble for $35.00 and the fraud department called as soon as I got back home. :dunno:
Yeah well, the were shocked that you bought a BOOK! I mean, after all the toys and gadgets, who knew you could read?

(Disclaimer: I'M KIDDING!!!)

I had the same thrill a couple of weeks ago, ours issued by USAA. It appears that no charges successfully cleared, despite repeated efforts to use the card in the Hayward, CA area. They called us immediately, had card cut off before we ever knew a thing.

They also had the new cards in my hands, via FedEx, in two days.

USAA is, by the way, proof that a huge bureaucracy can work well. Insurance and banking, all handled efficiently and courteously.

SCCutler said:
I had the same thrill a couple of weeks ago, ours issued by USAA. It appears that no charges successfully cleared, despite repeated efforts to use the card in the Hayward, CA area. They called us immediately, had card cut off before we ever knew a thing.

Guess I'll have to grab another credit card to use now! j/k... "Them motorcyles is loud! They sound good cause they free!" :)

We used to get our Chase cards turned off after buying dinner at 'Hong Kong Gardens' Chinese restaurant. Seems that at least in the earlier days of their system, they figured that someone was purchasing plants in Hong Kong.

That was frustrating. :)

Maybe you were "Vished"?

From today's Wall Street Journal:
[Quoote]

Email Scammers Try New Bait in 'Vishing' For Fresh Victims

By ANDREW LAVALLEE
July 17, 2006; Page B1

For some time, banks and credit-card companies have been warning computer users about so-called phishing emails that link to counterfeit Web sites where customers are asked to enter their account numbers and other personal information.

Now, savvy con artists are adding a new twist dubbed "vishing."

Customers of Santa Barbara Bank & Trust recently received emails telling them that their accounts with the company's online banking system had been disabled after the bank detected unauthorized access. They were told to dial a telephone number (with a local, Southern California area code) where an automated voice prompted them to enter their account numbers, personal-access codes and other details. It's not clear who was on the other end of the phone line, but it wasn't Santa Barbara Bank & Trust.

The incident was among the latest in a string of vishing, or voice phishing, attacks. Security experts say such schemes are made possible by Internet-telephone services, which allow computer users to quickly establish phone numbers, often without undergoing some of the verification checks used by traditional telephone companies. Also, Internet phone companies dole out numbers with a choice of area code, regardless of where in the country -- or world -- the user is located. That can make it much more difficult to locate fraudsters.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said it has traced the Santa Barbara scheme to computers inside and outside the U.S., but so far hasn't made any arrests. The phone number has been deactivated. It is unclear whether any money was stolen.

"Everyone's accustomed to the standard phishing attack," said Adam O'Donnell, a senior research scientist at San Francisco-based online security firm Cloudmark Inc. "Their banks have told them not to click on the URLs," but customers aren't as vigilant when it comes to the telephone. Automated voice prompts are now common on customer service lines, and many people have become accustomed to keying in their account information and other details before being able to speak to a representative.

Con artists might use data collected through vishing to access online bank accounts and transfer money, or to make fraudulent online purchases with a stolen credit card number.

Security experts said other regional banks, as well as eBay Inc.'s online-payment service PayPal, have been targeted. So far, the attacks appear to be geographically focused, directing recipients to local phone numbers. Analysts said scammers send piles of messages to email addresses believed to be located in an area, with the hope of reaching some customers of a particular company. In the Santa Barbara case, many people without accounts at the bank received the messages, a bank spokeswoman said.

In general, email-based phishing scams have been successful. Research firm Gartner Inc. estimates that consumers lost $929 million in such schemes last year. Still, public-relations campaigns from banks, along with new tools from security companies, have made phishing more difficult to pull off, said Paul Henry, a vice president at San Jose, Calif.-based Secure Computing Corp. Phishing has also become riskier for con artists, with the introduction of software that helps locate and unmask phony Web sites set up to steal information. "The anonymity of phishers was gone," he said. "With [Internet telephony], you can regain the ability to remain anonymous."

Internet-phone companies generally require customers to enter a home address and a billing address that matches the credit-card number used to establish an account. But "we can't verify that the person who's entering that information is being honest about who they are," said Huw Rees, a vice president of sales and marketing at Santa Clara, Calif.-based provider 8x8 Inc. "The telephone number people [are assigned] has no geographic meaning anymore," he said. "It gives you nomadic capability."

Cloudmark detected a vishing attempt in April in which emails purporting to be from a small bank in Philadelphia urged customers to dial a phone number to verify their personal details. By the time the security firm traced the number to an Internet-phone company, three days later, it had already been disconnected. "These things are very, very fast-acting," said Cloudmark's Mr. O'Donnell.

Earlier this month, a similar attack occurred in which email imitated PayPal, a frequent phishing target. The message told users to call a California-based phone number to update credit-card information "in order to prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring."

PayPal contacted authorities who traced the number to an Internet-phone service, and the number was shut down July 7, said Sara Bettencourt, a PayPal spokeswoman. She said she wouldn't say whether anything was stolen as the matter is still under investigation by authorities.

Santa Barbara Bank & Trust, meanwhile, has warned its customers about the vishing attack, and shared protection tips from the Federal Trade Commission -- namely, that customers should never turn over private information based on an email request. "We'll be on the alert for such things in the future," said Deborah Whiteley, a spokeswoman for parent company Pacific Capital Bancorp.

/quote

It is a little scary that area codes can be reassigned so easily. It takes the usefulness out of Caller ID!

-Skip

I had a similarly reassuring experience with Chase. This past January, I went to the British Virgin Islands to sail for a week. We stopped one night at Cane Garden Bay, and I picked up dinner for the four of us (about $250). While I didn't have my cell phone on during the trip, in checking my messages on my return, I had received a call from the Chase Fraud department within about 2 hours from making the charge. A friend of mine on the trip also received the same call within approximately the same 2 hour timeframe. While they didn't suspend the card (since I didn't return the call, I guess), I felt very comfortable that if my card were to be used fraudulently that they'd catch it and handle it.

Good stuff. Between that and the email alerts (I get an email every time there's a charge of $200 or more on my card), Chase does a great job at preventing fraudulent charges.

I've had a similar experience with Discover. They called about some charges that looked fishy, because they were. They cancelled the account and quickly sent new cards.

Wish I could say the same for AMEX. 11 years ago I moved to Oregon ahead of my family when I joined Intel. I had an American Express Optima card that I never used. One day my wife called wanting to know about a bunch of charges totaling around $1500 on the bill for that card. I have no idea how the crook got the number, it had never been out of my wallet. In any case, it took AMEX forever to straighten things out. And they weren't particularly nice about it, either. The only AMEX card in my wallet now is my company card (I don't have a choice).

Chuck, I do have to admit I crack myself up!

Back