Dinners, Dives, and Airport Greasy Spoons

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Has there every been a collaboration to list out some of the favorite airport restaurants or ones that we frequented in the past?

Over the years it has been hit or miss for me...

Yes, someone on here does that. Search around and you'll find the thread. Or maybe they will pop up.

Ventucky,
If you find such a list, please post a link. I wish ForeFlight would add an Airport Restaurant chart overlay like they have for 100LL, instead of prices they could post number yelp stars.

a quick look around my home field (KARR) shows several errors...restaurants that have been closed for a number of years. that's the problem with these lists...keeping them current.

I believe they rely on pilots to not only provide new listings but to also keep the information current so....

We got lucky today coming into KBMT this morning.

It's free BBQ day and it was excellent.

a quick look around my home field (KARR) shows several errors...restaurants that have been closed for a number of years. that's the problem with these lists...keeping them current.
Send the page owner an email. He corrects it pretty quickly.

That stinks... I typically call first though to make sure.

Until they add one, I made one: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...t-airport-restaurants-foreflight-layer.94927/
It's easy enough to scrape a restaurant list e.g. from fly2lunch and import it.
George,
This trick is amazing. When I load your text file and change it to: user_waypoints.csv and import I get only on-field restaurants in the northeast. I'd love to do this for the whole country, and update it periodically, can you possibly explain how to: "grep ^APT APT.txt | awk -F '\n' -f parseNFDC.txt >id_lat_long.txt"

I needed a way to make a table of airports and their lat/long coords, join it to a table of airports and their restaurant names, and then massage it into something ForeFlight could understand. I speak grep/awk/sort/join so that was the easiest way for me to do it. I just used the commandline on a Mac, but any unix-like system, or Windows 10 with the linux subsystem, or cygwin will do.

Back