Digital Tachs - Pireps?

Buck Rizvi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BoulderBuck
The mechanical tach is acting up in my Cherokee Six and my shop is suggesting I replace it with a Horizon Instruments P-1000 digital tach.

10-01592.jpg

I see that Electronics International has a R-1 tach for a bit less, and I like that it has a ring of lights in addition to the digital readout.
R1.jpg

Any pireps on digital tachs?

Thanks,
Buck

Our club has the top one in our Bonanza.

No issues with it that I recall in the 7 years of me being a member. I don't recall anyone talking about it having problems before I joined either.

I've had them in rental planes from time to time. I prefer the analog, personally. Of the digitals, I prefer the ring-of-LEDs style like your second image, for the same reason; I can read it faster. For me at least, it's easier and quicker for me to take in a needle position than to read a number from a display.

The digital ones may be more reliable and/or more feature-ful, though. I haven't used them enough to really speak to that.

I have the R-1 in my C-172N. No problems with it. It's very easy to read, and even subtle rpm changes are readily apparent. I like the "flight time" function. It is a little more awkward to read total tach time (you have to turn on the master and push the "Tach Time" button -- twice if tach time is >999 hours), but it's not a deal-breaker.

I rarely even notice the "ring of lights" in flight; I don't think it has much value unless the red one comes on.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 2.42.25 PM.png

I have the R1 and it is great. If I recall, I chose it when my analog failed cause it had the largest display.....it is more than adequate.

I installed the P-1000 in a 1963 172D when I upgraded the panel in 2002. The airplane is now owned by a friend and neighbor, but I still fly it regularly. It has proven to be trouble-free.

N2686U%20Panel%204-27-2018_zpsbelzc8q5.jpg

The mechanical tach is acting up in my Cherokee Six and my shop is suggesting I replace it with a Horizon Instruments P-1000 digital tach.

10-01592.jpg

I see that Electronics International has a R-1 tach for a bit less, and I like that it has a ring of lights in addition to the digital readout.
R1.jpg

Thanks,
Buck
The horizon counts time above 800 rpm. The EI counts time above 1200 rpm (IIRC). It’s a small difference but it adds up.

What’s the install like for one of these? Single wire from mag to indicator? Do you feed the wire through the original cable sleeve or do you have to route separately?

What’s the install like for one of these? Single wire from mag to indicator? Do you feed the wire through the original cable sleeve or do you have to route separately?
They tap into wiring at the ignition switch.

I have a few hours behind a P-1000 and liked it. I especially liked the feature displaying the mag drop during the run-up. Looks like R-1 has a similar function. I suspected my tach was reading a bit low and purchased a Trutach II and like it even though it clutters the glare shield and is useless at night...

I have the R-1 in my C-172N. No problems with it. It's very easy to read, and even subtle rpm changes are readily apparent. I like the "flight time" function. It is a little more awkward to read total tach time (you have to turn on the master and push the "Tach Time" button -- twice if tach time is >999 hours), but it's not a deal-breaker.

I rarely even notice the "ring of lights" in flight; I don't think it has much value unless the red one comes on.

View attachment 62842

Love the screenshot. Looks very easy to read. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a heck of a time interpreting those LED tachs. Prefer analog or some kind of digital needle presentation. It takes an extra tick of mental bandwidth processing to read the number and correlate it with 2400RPM for example.

I have a heck of a time interpreting those LED tachs. Prefer analog or some kind of digital needle presentation. It takes an extra tick of mental bandwidth processing to read the number and correlate it with 2400RPM for example.
I had the same concern, but quickly learned to read and interpret the P-1000 display. It's nice to see the exact mag drops during run-up and the red LED light up if you exceed redline by 1 RPM.

The horizon counts time above 800 rpm. The EI counts time above 1200 rpm (IIRC). It’s a small difference but it adds up.

Real close! :) The R-1 actually begins to accrue tach time at 1300RPM.

This. Your tach time will likely go up slightly faster with the EI, and noticeably faster with the Horizon. When you go to sell your plane, that means it'll have more TTAF and more TSMOH for the exact same number of flights.

I would go with the EI. The Horizon pretty much counts time as if you were at full throttle any time the prop was turning. We bought a Horizon for one of the club planes and got enough complaints about how much more time was being charged that we ditched it. Speaking of which, Horizon will not let you transfer the STC to any other airplane. If you decide you don't like it, you can only sell it to someone with an experimental. Grrrr.

10-01592.jpg

R1.jpg

Thanks,
Buck

I've flown behind them, the top one I really don't like and doesn't read as well at a quick glance, the second one is a little better, but analog or a full on screen that replicates a analog is the way to go IMO.

CGR30C-1.jpg

This. Your tach time will likely go up slightly faster with the EI, and noticeably faster with the Horizon. When you go to sell your plane, that means it'll have more TTAF and more TSMOH for the exact same number of flights.

I would go with the EI. The Horizon pretty much counts time as if you were at full throttle any time the prop was turning. We bought a Horizon for one of the club planes and got enough complaints about how much more time was being charged that we ditched it. Speaking of which, Horizon will not let you transfer the STC to any other airplane. If you decide you don't like it, you can only sell it to someone with an experimental. Grrrr.

Thanks! My '73 Cherokee Six has less than 2,000 hours TTAF, so definitely don't want to accelerate her aging! :)

I've flown behind them, the top one I really don't like and doesn't read as well at a quick glance, the second one is a little better, but analog or a full on screen that replicates a analog is the way to go IMO.

CGR30C-1.jpg
Thanks, James! I forgot to mention that I have a JPI EDM-830 that has a similar display and that's what I normally use for my tach. Unfortunately, it's not *meant* to be used as primary.

View attachment 62842
Hey Jeff, Noticed the placard. Is that one of those upgraded fully aerobatic 172N's?

I missed that detail and caught it on the 2nd read. Does that mean EI WILL allow you to transfer the STC?

Thanks, James! I forgot to mention that I have a JPI EDM-830 that has a similar display and that's what I normally use for my tach. Unfortunately, it's not *meant* to be used as primary.

Hmm

If you already have a nice electronic tach, but need a "primary" to keep legal, I'd actually rather have a full on old school mechanical tach

Hmm

If you already have a nice electronic tach, but need a "primary" to keep legal, I'd actually rather have a full on old school mechanical tach

Thanks, James.

That was my first choice. My mechanic "thinks" it's just a gummed up tach cable, but there's no way to be certain until he dives into it.

3 hours later it could be the tach + the cable and a much bigger bill. I looked over my logbooks (just bought the plane) and the bad tach was replaced only 80 hours ago or so, which doesn't give me a lot confidence in the spinning cable approach to keeping score :-(

Thanks, James.

That was my first choice. My mechanic "thinks" it's just a gummed up tach cable, but there's no way to be certain until he dives into it.

3 hours later it could be the tach + the cable and a much bigger bill. I looked over my logbooks (just bought the plane) and the bad tach was replaced only 80 hours ago or so, which doesn't give me a lot confidence in the spinning cable approach to keeping score :-(

Understandable

I'd wager a junk tac or install/routing error of type, lots and lots of planes buzzing around with mechanical tacs without that issue.

The Mooney has the Horizon in it when we bought the plane. It counts revs and I like the mag drop feature. Otherwise I don’t give it any other thoughts. It counts revs *shrug*

jeff, love the placard might steel your fathers idea.first time in 50 years of aviation I have seen that :)

re the tach everything EI is great they stand by there stuff like no other co in aviation history. I have had both and they both tell yu what you need to know.i would fix my tach cable

I've had the P1000 in two planes (I put it into both) and love it. The mag drop read out on run-up is really useful, as are some of the other visual indications.

Reading the tach hours is a bit fiddly, but i only do that once per flight anyway

I've experience with the P-1000 in a Cherokee Six a few years ago, and now in a Bonanza. My preference is still the old original needle on a dial. Seems like I spend more time fussing with getting all the RPM digits right for runup than the time it takes to do the rest of the runup checks. :confused:

What would be cool would be an electronic needle/dial like on late model cars. My Ford Fusion tach would be perfect...:rolleyes:
10-01592.jpg

R1.jpg

Thanks,
Buck

My annual is due in October and I’ve decided to go with the P-1000. I have a tach that’s placard to read 200 RPM low. It seems to be messing with my performance calculations. To get the numbers I work out, the tach is basically at the red line which is a very unnerving sight. And if I dial it back, my performance is about 5-10 knots less than I was expecting, and my fuel burn rates are slower. So just for my own piece of mind the mechanical tach needs to go. And the P-1000 is one of the few options that fits my budget and would easily replace the 3” mechanical tachometer. And I like the idea of having the exact RPM right there instead of a gauge that can be off due to sight angle.

My annual is due in October and I’ve decided to go with the P-1000. I have a tach that’s placard to read 200 RPM low. It seems to be messing with my performance calculations. To get the numbers I work out, the tach is basically at the red line which is a very unnerving sight. And if I dial it back, my performance is about 5-10 knots less than I was expecting, and my fuel burn rates are slower. So just for my own piece of mind the mechanical tach needs to go. And the P-1000 is one of the few options that fits my budget and would easily replace the 3” mechanical tachometer. And I like the idea of having the exact RPM right there instead of a gauge that can be off due to sight angle.

Why the P1000 instead of the EI? Have you read the whole thread?

This suggestion is not for everyone, as one needs an existing EI FP5L fuel flow totalizer, or wants to install fuel flow. With this installed, it is easy and inexpensive to have a digital RPM in the option channel. It is not considered primary so I left my mechanical tach, that reads 175 too low at 75% cruise, in place to stay legal. Works great this way and will do everything you want to fine tune performance, and stay on top of fuel burn.

Why the P1000 instead of the EI? Have you read the whole thread?

For minor reasons really. The display on the P-1000 is larger. And it fits right into a 3” hole, so a cleaner appearance and quicker install. The EI is a 2 1/4” sized instrument and would require a spacer or faceplate of some sort to fit where my tach is now.

The 800 vs 1300 tach time is something I wasn’t aware of. And while I imagine it may add to hours, i’m not too concerned.

I've flown a Tiger with the upper one and hate it. You just don't get an instant response. OTOH, those little square engine monitors with built in tachs are great.

Back