Difficult climb

JeffB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JeffB
When given an IFR climb to higher altitudes and experiencing a very poor climb rate / difficulties, is it acceptable to level off for 3 minutes, gain some speed, and then resume the climb? I have found that on a continuous climb, my single engine piston struggles above 10k on a continuous climb. But if I level off for 3 minutes, get the speed back up to 120, and then resume the climb it's very easy to gain another 1k or more. These "steps" seem very effective, but I was wondering if ATC needs to be notified at each step. Using "unable" seems a bit drastic, since I am "able", but with a short step....

When given an IFR climb to higher altitudes and experiencing a very poor climb rate / difficulties, is it acceptable to level off for 3 minutes, gain some speed, and then resume the climb? I have found that on a continuous climb, my single engine piston struggles above 10k on a continuous climb. But if I level off for 3 minutes, get the speed back up to 120, and then resume the climb it's very easy to gain another 1k or more. These "steps" seem very effective, but I was wondering if ATC needs to be notified at each step. Using "unable" seems a bit drastic, since I am "able", but with a short step....

Yes. They do. Ya may find another plane climbing through you if you don't.

Last edited:
King IFR regs refresher is great for this sort of thing. I believe they expect 100 feet per nautical mile above 10k, and you can't "take a break" as it were. You're also supposed to notify ATC if you can't climb or descend by more than 500 feet per minute.

Why not just maintain 120 the whole time instead of stopping to build speed and start again?

If you do an intermediate level off, ATC needs to be notified. There may be traffic issues precluding it. They will likely notice it and query you if don't, especially with a level off that long. Plus, technically, your unannounced level off is as much a violation of 91.123 as would be a change of direction (the AIM guidance to report when unable to maintain 500 fpm or better was already mentioned).

Each step? Maybe. Maybe not. That's up to ATC. Before the first step, I'd let ATC know I would like to periodically level off for 3 minutes at a time about every XXXX feet after YYYYY for engine management. They might say, "sure, go ahead" or "advise up at each level off," or even that they can't do it on your present heading and (you or they can) offer alternatives.

Another option is to file for 10, then request higher when speed and fuel allows.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I might request lower altitudes. If I found climbs to difficult altitudes to be necessary I think I'd find a more capable aircraft.

King IFR regs refresher is great for this sort of thing. I believe they expect 100 feet per nautical mile above 10k, and you can't "take a break" as it were. You're also supposed to notify ATC if you can't climb or descend by more than 500 feet per minute.
That 100/nm is to determine whether an airway needs an MCA when entering an segment with a higher MEA. It has nothing to do with ATC.

Attachments

• MCA criteria.jpg
    MCA criteria.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 20
I don't think that's how aerodynamics works.

Just pitch for the proper, or even higher enroute climb airspeed

That 100/nm is to determine whether an airway needs an MCA when entering an segment with a higher MEA. It has nothing to do with ATC.
Thanks for that info, appreciate it!

Unless you are climbing at a speed slower than best climb speed (if this is true, then you have bigger issues), that is not logical nor would it follow the laws of physics. If you're speeding up faster than the best climb speed in the "step", then, by definition, you're climbing slower, even if it "feels" like you're climbing faster.

If your not climbing fast enough ,ATC will give you vectors,for a climb corridor.

From the last time I departed Sarasota airport.

Don't trick the controller - if you accepted the clearance, and he/she expects a climb, then you should climb. Shout out if you can't continue - don't make 'em guess what you're doing.

From the last time I departed Sarasota airport.
There is no such thing as a radar vector climb corridor as such. There are DVAs at some airports but those are from liftoff and can require a climb gradient greater than 200 feet per mile.

Put a Nitrous kit on it.

You could always ask for a block altitude.
I'm not sure if that helps or not. If you are needed up there, you are needed up there. If the MEA is 10,000, I doubt you'll get a bloc altitudevwith a low point of 8,000. And if 8,000 was fine, why not ask for it in the first place instead of straining to get to 12,000?

I'm not sure if that helps or not. If you are needed up there, you are needed up there. If the MEA is 10,000, I doubt you'll get a bloc altitudevwith a low point of 8,000. And if 8,000 was fine, why not ask for it in the first place instead of straining to get to 12,000?
Well if going to ‘eleven’ is good, twelve has got to be better. Right?

I don't know if he was needed up there or not, the OP never said. And he never said anything about needing to meet an MEA or anything like that.

I figured he just filed above 10k for the heck of it (why, I don't know). If he could make it to 10k but wanted to level off then climb a bit every few minutes, a block altitude would help. That way he could do whatever he wanted on the way up there.

I Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I am aware of the rules and regs and will keep ATC in the loop. But it is interesting that if I climb at Vy (80kts for me) the rate is almost unbearable above 9000. But a brief level off to get up to 120, followed by a standard climbing pitch and I'm at 10-11k very quickly. And yes, whoever suggested a new plane as a solution, that has crossed my mind recently. For the comment on MEA and asking for a lower altitude, I did file for 9k, but was vectored around and then given a new route which put the MEA at 11k. In retrospect, that would have been the best time to let ATC know I needed a different route but usually climbing to 11-12k is doable. Thanks again guys.

Back