Difference between Airframe & Powerplant Technician Program and Associate of Applied Science Degree

Melissa2983298

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Melissa
Hi Everyone,

After a hiatus from school for a while, I'm considering returning to get my A&P certification. The only question is, the school I'm considering has both two programs (Associate of Applied Science Degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology or an Airframe & Powerplant Technician Program).

Is there a difference between the two, if I eventually wanted to start my own A&P business? Thank you!

Get them both. I did the cert program and needed a few more credits for the associates.

it won’t really buy you much…but if you continue to a four year degree it’ll be that much more.

Yup, one is for the FAA requirements and the other for the A.S.

I'm guessing that the technician program simply satisfies the FAA requirements to earn a mechanic certificate while the degreed program will earn you an associates degree in addition to satisfying the FAA requirements.

Skipping the degree will not affect your privileges as a mechanic but it may be worth spending a little extra time and money to earn it. I think I had to take something like 9 credits worth of general classes on top of the aviation maintenance specific classes to earn an associates in aviation maintenance.

I'm guessing that the technician program simply satisfies the FAA requirements to earn a mechanic certificate while the degreed program will earn you an associates degree in addition to satisfying the FAA requirements.

Skipping the degree will not affect your privileges as a mechanic but it may be worth spending a little extra time and money to earn it. I think I had to take something like 9 credits worth of general classes on top of the aviation maintenance specific classes to earn an associates in aviation maintenance.
Right. Years ago, I went through A&P classes to get my license. I didn’t do the extra work for my A.S degree, but if I had, I would have had an AS, BS, and MS; only lacking a Ph.D for the whole enchilada.

Education is something no one can take from you. My technical classes were during the day, I could have taken evening classes as some of my class mates did.

Take the opportunity to get the AS. You may later want to get a BS, so it’s good to lock in the college credits with the AS degree. Credits expire, but degrees don’t.

Back