Did my first IFR flight

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
Yesterday was finally the day!!! After going to one FBO 3 times last Saturday and not being able to fly due to plane out of 100 hour, weather and then the CFII calling in sick. I had enough with that FBO, even though they are about 15 min drive I called up another FBO that was 30 mins away and made a reservation in a 172.

Went out to the FBO about 5pm met with the CFII and we sat and talked for about an hour going over the ASA syllables that we would be using. He asked if we could fly down to another FBO because he had a meeting that he forgot about and would like to attend. He said he would pay for the flight back so we turned it in to a training flight.

Took off about 6pm flew a GPS approach to K57 which was 32nm away. I didn't go under the hood but was busy scanning and keeping the plane level and doing everything he asked with the GPS. Made it to the FBO did a OK landing and went to the meeting, it was a fun meeting and I met some really nice pilots. We stayed about 45mins and took back off for the flight back.

By this time it was dark out, I flew the GPS approach back but this time I was under the hood. Which I didn't understand because it was dark and couldn't really see anything but city lights. LOL When he had the home FBO in sight he had me remove the glasses and POOF there was the FBO!! I thought wow that's really cool how you can fly a route and then the FBO just pops up. I guess that's what IFR training is all about!!! :goofy::goofy:

Made a rough landing but he was cool with it. He kept saying after we landed and while in flight that he couldn't believe that I haven't flown for years and that my flight skills in keeping the plane straight, level, and holding a heading was perfect and I was a natural. Made me feel good but part of me was saying, yeah, how many people do you tell that do? LOL

Question I have is we could do part 141 or 61 and I am not sure which one would suite me best? Any help clarifying would be nice.

Congrats enjoy the experience. IFR flying is fun when you get used to it.

The IFR was a lot of fun and a lot of work. You will have a blast, enjoy! I did part 141 because I was using VA benefits and I had to. 141 is structured with stage checks and the whole nine yards. Part 61 is still structured but usually wont have stage checks. The biggest difference is part 61 you need 50 hrs of XC and part 141 there is no XC requirement. There are some more subtle differences im sure but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Have fun and enjoy it!

A 141 school is usually much more structured and follows a syllabus. If you like a more structured learning environment, go 141. There are plenty of good instructors in part 61 schools.

Back