Did anyone notice what Google doodle MISSED today?

I rarely go to the Google home page, so I had to go check it out. Apparently, they think the first drive-in theater is more important than what you're referring to.

June 6, 1833 – U.S. President Andrew Jackson becomes the first President to ride on a train.

Did I guess????:lol:

(I know. Yours is much more serious.)

So many historical events happened on June 6th... But I don't think Google wants to remind us of most of them! :no:

Normandy.

I bet you are correct..............................

D day is a important part of US history.

Google is based in the most liberal part of the country and they hate war.

By "accidentely" leaving that out of their pertinent data they figure they can change history by omission, just like most textbooks that are written for schools today.....

Rant off................... :mad:

Last edited:
I'll bet they miss the 68th anniversary of an important event in my wife's family's history tomorrow.

Her mother landed on Omaha beach on D+1 (Army nurse).

I was disappointed at how few news sites mentioned the anniversary. My wife thinks I'm a bit morbid for finding the day so fascinating. I watch Ryan and Band of Brothers in full around this time each year and look at pictures / personal accounts online.

Google tries to limit their doodles to light hearted stuff. They have often said that there are certain holidays that they don't think a doodle is appropriate for.

--Carlos V.

Google uses the doodle to celebrate the less obvious aniversaries. The inventor or some medicine, or a famous violin player or something.

It's sort of a sign of their success that people now expect them to do crap like change their logo for a day. Please inform me which other companies changed their mast head logo for the day to celebrate D-Day.

Maybe CNN or Faux New ran a story or two on D-Day yesterday, but who do you think served more information about it to the worlds population?

Face meet palm.

Last edited:
I bet you are correct..............................

D day is a important part of US history.

You bet? If it's so important, you should KNOW, right? ;)

Google is based in the most liberal part of the country and they hate war.

By "accidentely" leaving that out of their pertinent data they figure they can change history by omission, just like most textbooks that are written for schools today.....

OK, first of all, anyone who's learning history by watching Google Doodles is a lost cause anyway. Second... See below. Third - It's the conservatives in Texas who want to rewrite history by omitting things from textbooks, and I agree - Shame on them.

Google tries to limit their doodles to light hearted stuff. They have often said that there are certain holidays that they don't think a doodle is appropriate for.

Bingo.

Google uses the doodle to celebrate the less obvious aniversaries. The inventor or some medicine, or a famous violin player or something.

Well... They also do the obvious holidays, that's how it started.

It's sort of a sign of their success that people now expect them to do crap like change their logo for a day. Please inform me which other companies changed their mast head logo for the day to celebrate D-Day.

No kidding!

I'll bet they miss the 68th anniversary of an important event in my wife's family's history tomorrow.

Her mother landed on Omaha beach on D+1 (Army nurse).

Possibly a replacement for my great uncle, who survived in the second wave of D-Day, but was killed the next day - 68 years ago today. He was a medic, so you're wife's mother was an appropriate replacement.

While I do not dismiss the importance of the Normandy invasion, and recognize the immense sacrifice and courage this event entailed, (the assault on Point du Hoc for example) I am deeply saddened, and disappointed, that nothing at all was said of the anniversary of the Battle of Midway. (June 4-6)

This completely American battle pitted a vastly outnumbered US force, armed with some really inferior equipment, (the F2A for example), against the most powerful naval force in the world at the time, and we won a victory that forever changed the course of the Pacific war.

OK. Even worse, someone at work made some offhand comment about June 6 being a day that nothing ever happened. I suggested that D-Day was an important happening and he said (claimed?) he had never heard of it.

And the invasion of the marianas as well. The fleet had sailed at the same time Normandy was happening.

Beginning of the end of the war in both theaters

Back