Did a PA28-181 checkout yesterday.

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
Well, the first of probably 3 lessons(I'll probably do a couple more) with my CFI for familiarization. Spent a half hour doing touch and goes and I find it much easier to land than the 172 for some reason. More power, more room, the visibility is great.

Not sure how much more I'll rent the 172. I like the Archer much better:D

Be carefull of the archer,they can really float on landing. Now that I'm older I prefer the 172 for ease of boarding. However the Archer does fly better IMHO

I didn't notice any excessive float, 70 on final and throttle back to idle over the threshhold.

I'll need to get a POH and study up on the speeds. Fuel to tabs and my instructor is only 160#, we were well below gross too.

As with any aircraft, work on good airspeed control during approach, and you'll be very happy with the results.

I fly an Archer on a regular basis, and I used to fly a 180HP 172 regularly.

I always liked flying the Archer better than the 172. Probably simply because I have more time in the PA28 series and just am more used to it. But I sure like the 172 for back seat access when taking more than one person.

Yeah not a fan of the gymnastics to get in, but I'm still young.

Heh - I'm not getting any younger. But I can get in and out with less creaking and groaning than I can doing a preflight with those low wings.

I agree, if u come in a few kts fast u will floooooaaaat. Nail ur speed and grease em!

Entering is simple. Exiting is something that could get you extra score for pointing your toes during the dismount.

75kts before turning base, 66kts on short final and I wouldn't expect any floating.

The only things I felt the 172s beat the Archer on were the doors and trim wheel placement.... but with the right person in the copilot seat you could turn that into a positive.

Last edited:
Entering is simple. Exiting is something that could get you extra score for pointing your toes during the dismount.

True, but it is very hard to Impress the Russian Judge!!!:D

Well, the first of probably 3 lessons(I'll probably do a couple more) with my CFI for familiarization. Spent a half hour doing touch and goes and I find it much easier to land than the 172 for some reason. More power, more room, the visibility is great.

Not sure how much more I'll rent the 172. I like the Archer much better:D

Where do you fly out of? Was in MSN last week.

I rent an Archer occasionally and just sold a Cherokee 140 (I would rent when it was down for maintenance). The Archer has the tapered wing, so it will float if you come in fast. Another difference from the Hershey bar wing is that when you pull the first notch of flaps, you can feel it get some lift (you need to trim down). With the Cherokee, that doesn't happen. It is a very nice handling plane, though and otherwise flies like the Cherokee.

Back