Diamond down in Lantana (West Palm Beach)

diabolical

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Flyer
2 people killed in small plane crash at Palm Beach County Park Airport near Lantana

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-...illed-in-small-plane-crash-at-lantana-airport

Two men were killed Sunday night when a small plane crashed in a field at the Palm Beach County Park Airport in Lantana, authorities say.

(Looks like "maybe" missed approach go-round), one instructor and maybe new purchaser? Just from some portions of interview, no first-hand knowledge. Apparently had flown from Kentucky and refueled in Williston. Had been following Diamond threads lately but I don't know enough to speculate and therefore will leave that to others. Apparently registered to Diamond Aircraft Sales, and coming from factory in Kentucky? Just really regrettable.

Just posting links not copying story. If someone else wishes to copy and paste to share more info on-site if may be better. Mine wasn't copying format correctly so leaving it at this.

another link
https://www.wpbf.com/article/two-people-dead-after-small-plane-crashes-at-lantana-airport/43209791

I can’t tell if it’s a DA40 or a DA20.

It looks like it went straight in ...

Agreed. Like I tell my wife, airspeed and control, you will probably survive. I have a friend who retired as a professional pilot. He had two engine outs in his flying career. One while IFR at night. Survived with no injuries from both. Kept his flying speed and landed on a road in one, and a field in the other. Keep your wits, maintain airspeed and control.

very sad, RIP.

The unfortunate word on the airfield is that these men chose to do a low pass on a request from Coworkers and friends who were on the tarmac that night waiting to see the new plane,then followed by a tight climbing right bank angle. This seems to have resulted in an accelerated stall and subsequent crash. after an almost 9 hour cross country in an otherwise unfamiliar aircraft, land, kiss the ground and go home enjoy your family. If this was indeed the case then this was as much of a tragic as it was an unnecessary accident. Either way sad situation for all involved. fly high boys.

Last edited:
Dang. It is really hard to kill a DA40. About as docile a plane made. RIP.

Just received a call from my nephew. He will be stopping by on his way back from the funeral. Turns out the CFI was one of his best friends for the last 23 years. He's staying with the CFI's family and said they are frustrated with the lack of information being shared. I imagine every family feels that way as no one wants to share preliminary and possibly inaccurate info.

Back