Diamond DA40 Questions

Armcorp

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RC Flyer
I currently own a 74 Cherokee 180. I am VFR in transiton to IFR. I want to do my training on the plane I plan to own for a while
After much deliberation, I have almost decided to buy a DA40 (probably a 2003 or 2004) . Any concerns on this aircrafts ability to handle turbulence?
Any other knocks on the DA40 ?

It is a fine airplane -- it is structurally sound -- and a hell of a lot of fun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one or fly one in IMC, in fact, I would love to be able to do so. Enjoy it.

Provided the airplane can haul what you need to haul and land where you need to land, go for it.

I only have a few VFR hours and a few approaches under the "hood".
During VFR I noticed it really liked to "yaw dance" once the thermals started popping. This was on a VFR trip down into SoCal and the thermals were popping as we crossed the Big Bear area into Ontario. Those are "glider wings" and they liketo fly.

I've flown it under the hood (G-1000 version) in what the G1000 reported as 40knt winds in the holding pattern for the approach into SGU and had nary a burble.

No problems IFR (though it was either a short pop-up or from the back seat). Personally, I found the bucket seats in the earlier (pre-XL) models to be a tad uncomfortable for long XCs, but that's a personal determination.

I think that the DA40 is the best overall sub-200hp 4-seat certified single around. Easy to fly yet still nimble and sporty, astoundingly efficient, amazing visibility, and just all-around fun. They also have an excellent safety record. Not everyone likes them, and here's some of the quirks: (Remember, every plane has its quirks, you just pick the ones you want to live with!)

* Seats do not adjust - The rudder pedals do.
* Castering nosewheel
* Long wings - 39 ft 2 in wingspan makes it a little harder to get into a 40-ft hangar, so you may end up with more hangar rash if you're not careful
* Can't see the fuel in the tanks after you've burned off a fairly small amount. This is due to the long, high-aspect-ratio wings and dihedral. Diamond includes a nifty tube arrangement that you can use to accurately determine your fuel load during preflight, however, so this isn't that big of a deal.
* The stall warning horns on the ones I've flown tend to go off WAY before the stall (at least 10 knots). Thus, they'll sometimes chirp in moderate or greater turbulence, they'll chirp with a little less turbulence on final, and they'll pretty much blare on every landing. Dunno if they've fixed this yet or not. (This is the one thing that really annoys me about it.)
* It cruises well into the yellow arc, which starts at 129 KIAS. I was told by a Diamond rep that the yellow arc is a function of stall speed and since their stall speed is pretty low, the yellow arc starts fairly low too. He also said it's perfectly OK to fly it in the yellow arc all the time, even with some chop or turbulence. :dunno: I guess if you want to keep it in the green, you pull the power back a bit and save some fuel, or you just go higher. :yes:
* If you don't learn to steer on your takeoff and landing rolls using the rudder as soon as it's effective, you'll burn up your brakes in a hurry.
* Slippery airframe, so speed control on final approach is essential to making good landings and not floating forever.

Really, like many other planes, if you fly it like it's a Cessna or Cherokee, you'll probably be disappointed and maybe break something. Learn how to fly it right (which is not difficult at all), and you'll find it's quite a sweet bird.

As far as safety, last I checked there had only been a single fatal accident in the type, and that was when a pilot flew it into power lines on approach. They tend to NOT burn after crashes which greatly increases survivability. They're also the only composite certified airplane that I know of that does not have an airframe life limit. On a Cirrus, for example, after 12,000 hours you own an expensive piece of artwork. They did this by doing load testing on a wing with one main spar - The airplane actually has dual main wing spars. Since it passed the tests with only one spar, the FAA certified it for unlimited airframe life.

Hope this helps! :yes:

They're also the only composite certified airplane that I know of that does not have an airframe life limit. On a Cirrus, for example, after 12,000 hours you own an expensive piece of artwork. They did this by doing load testing on a wing with one main spar - The airplane actually has dual main wing spars. Since it passed the tests with only one spar, the FAA certified it for unlimited airframe life.

While not in exactly the same cost/performance bin, the Cessna/Columbia series all have dual wing spars (and many other instances of physical redundancy) with each spar capable of supporting the total load, which incidentally is higher given the utility category certification of the Columbia line. I don't know for certain but it seems likely that these planes also have no airframe life limit.

Also FWIW, I expect Cirrus to extend the life limit of their airplanes with further testing as high time airframes become available (assuming they're still in business at the time).

Thanks so much for the information. These were great!
A couple more questions if you will indulge.

1- I have heard that the power flow exhaust is the difference in the speed (along with the prop) between the 40 and the XL. Is this true?
Although I am not much on aftermarket applications, it appears to be the more cost effecient alternative. But I was of the impression that the pfe would only increase climb rates.

2- I am considering a tiedown instead of a hangar. With the composite body,does that create any type of problem? Aluminum ....corrosion , Composite......?

Aluminum ....corrosion , Composite......?
Heat.

At least one composite has a temperature limit for the wing. Sitting out in the hot sun is not good for that bird. Is that true for the DA-40? :dunno:

Having said that, for my only flight in a DA-40, it was tied down outside at KCDW.

-Skip

At least one composite has a temperature limit for the wing. Sitting out in the hot sun is not good for that bird. Is that true for the DA-40? :dunno:

I thought I recalled something about there being a spot on the underside of the bird that would turn black or something when it was too hot to fly (surface temp in the 140-150 range IIRC) but now that I look in the POH, I can't find it. :dunno:

The only temperature-based limitation I can find for the DA40 is this:

DA40 POH said:
The airplane must not be operated when its temperature is less than -40 °C (-40 °F).

I think what I was remembering was what I read in the DA20 POH. From the DA20-C1 POH, section 2:

Maximum T/O Temperature : 131°F (55°C) Structural Temperature

From the DA20 POH, section 4:

A structural temperature indicator, installed on the spar bridge, indicates when the structural temperature
limitation is exceeded (ref. section 2.17). The indicator need only be checked if the OAT exceeds 38° C
(100° F).
The indicator is accessed by lifting the flap between the two seat-back cushions. The indicator is visible
through the cut out in the seat shell backs (ref. fig. 2).
At temperatures below the 55° C (131° F) limit, the indicator appears all red with a faint indication of “55”
(° C). At temperatures exceeding the 55° C (131° F) limit, the indicator displays a clearly contrasting red
“55” (° C) on a black background (ref. fig.1).

So, never mind. They must have advanced their composites between the introduction of the DA20 (1995) and the DA40 (2001).

* It cruises well into the yellow arc, which starts at 129 KIAS. I was told by a Diamond rep that the yellow arc is a function of stall speed and since their stall speed is pretty low, the yellow arc starts fairly low too. He also said it's perfectly OK to fly it in the yellow arc all the time, even with some chop or turbulence. :dunno: I guess if you want to keep it in the green, you pull the power back a bit and save some fuel, or you just go higher. :yes:

That makes no sense and I doubt it is correct. The yellow arc is determined by the structural integrity limit of the plane. The only indirect link to stall speed is that a wing design with a low stall speed often has design aspects which, at high speed, mean turbulence can cause very high forces to be exerted on the structure. That said I suspect the Diamond has gobs of margin. The low stall speed helps give the plane a great safety record.

That makes no sense and I doubt it is correct. The yellow arc is determined by the structural integrity limit of the plane. The only indirect link to stall speed is that a wing design with a low stall speed often has design aspects which, at high speed, mean turbulence can cause very high forces to be exerted on the structure. That said I suspect the Diamond has gobs of margin. The low stall speed helps give the plane a great safety record.

Remember, yellow arc (Vno) is "smooth air penetration" speed. I think Va and Vno are both based in some fashion on stall speed - Being at or below Va means that the wing will stall before it exceeds the design load limit. I think that Vno has something to do with a certain speed of vertical gust, thus it would be related to stall speed.

The answer is buried somewhere in Part 23, and someone who knows that part better than me will have to find it. ;)

Hey, I have a question, maybe it's a stupid one, but allright:
I've had some flight lessons on the cessna 172, and next saturday they want me te fly on a diamond da40 star. I am not that tall (1.65 mtrs-5.35 ft.) and i was wondering if I am tall enough to look over the instrument-panel. Again, bit a strange question, but just afraid that maybe i'll be to little. Thanks!!!

Really, like many other planes, if you fly it like it's a Cessna or Cherokee, you'll probably be disappointed and maybe break something. Learn how to fly it right (which is not difficult at all), and you'll find it's quite a sweet bird.

Great plane and fun to fly! (In what respects do you mean it shouldn't be flown like a Cessna or Cherokee?)

It is a fine airplane -- it is structurally sound -- and a hell of a lot of fun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one or fly one in IMC, in fact, I would love to be able to do so. Enjoy it.

Provided the airplane can haul what you need to haul and land where you need to land, go for it.

A friend of mine just bought a stunning 2007 DA40xls. His only problem is that he discovered after purchase that his useful load is 890# and with 50 gallons of fuel it drops to 590. He weighs about 200 so that leaves 390 and he doesn't know 3 people under 130 each. Or any that would travel with no luggage. But it sure is a nice 3 person plane.

A friend of mine just bought a stunning 2007 DA40xls. His only problem is that he discovered after purchase that his useful load is 890# and with 50 gallons of fuel it drops to 590. He weighs about 200 so that leaves 390 and he doesn't know 3 people under 130 each. Or any that would travel with no luggage. But it sure is a nice 3 person plane.

It's the same as in most 4 seat GA planes. If you really want to fill 4 seats, buy a 6 seat plane.

I don't know 3 people who'll fly in a 4-seat airplane for 5 hours either, so he can either leave some people at home or leave some fuel at home.

They're not a 182 or anything, but if you manage fuel loads appropriately you can meet a lot of missions.

I've had some flight lessons on the cessna 172, and next saturday they want me te fly on a diamond da40 star. I am not that tall (1.65 mtrs-5.35 ft.) and i was wondering if I am tall enough to look over the instrument-panel. Again, bit a strange question, but just afraid that maybe i'll be to little. Thanks!!!

My fiancée is about 5'4" (5.33 feet/1.63m) and can see over the panel, but she likes it a lot better when she brings a cushion to set on the seat and give her a couple of extra inches - I think if you do that you'll be fine.

Enjoy your flight! The DA40 is a fun plane to fly. :)

Last edited:
Great plane and fun to fly! (In what respects do you mean it shouldn't be flown like a Cessna or Cherokee?)

Cessna/PA28's have to be manhandled around the sky in comparison. Most people also fly their approaches too fast and the C/P-birds are very forgiving of that. It takes a lot of drag to fly 30 knots slower with the same horsepower and fuel burn as a Diamond, so they'll slow down pretty quick.

A friend of mine called me while he was in the process of getting checked out in the DA40. He said he just couldn't get landings, they were really difficult, and others were having problems too, they'd just had a prop strike on a porpoised landing. I asked him how he was being taught to land - They wanted him coming in at 90 knots and one notch of flaps! :eek::mad2: I told him to slow the hell down and do what the book says - 67 knots and full flaps. He called me back after his next lesson and said he had no problems at all when he did it that way and was getting great landings.

So, I'd say that they're slightly less forgiving of sloppy technique on landing, but other than that they're very forgiving, easy and fun to fly - The control feel is REALLY good, steep turns are effortless, stalls never break (it'll just mush in a falling-leaf stall - At a lower descent rate than a Cirrus under a parachute, I might add!)

The other thing is that if you try to move the controls like you do in a C/P bird, you'll be all over the sky - It works much better to not even touch the stick, to just surround the stick with your hand and "think" it where you want it to go, and it'll respond. That plus the view makes it feel a lot more like you are flying instead of just riding around in a little tin can in the sky.

* It cruises well into the yellow arc, which starts at 129 KIAS. I was told by a Diamond rep that the yellow arc is a function of stall speed and since their stall speed is pretty low, the yellow arc starts

I don't quite buy this.

Well mayBe I do, but the M20j does not really have a high stall speed, and the green arc goes up to 185kts. Any turbulence and you get hammered at that speed. Anything more than light chop and I slow down to 130 or so.

I don't quite buy this.

Well mayBe I do, but the M20j does not really have a high stall speed, and the green arc goes up to 185kts. Any turbulence and you get hammered at that speed. Anything more than light chop and I slow down to 130 or so.

185 knots?!? The Ovation's green arc goes up to about 170, the yellow up to 194 or so. Vs0 is 59 knots.

Normal especially in the sub 200hp world.

Even my 182 with a 1250lb useful can't have it's tanks topped with four people and 200lbs (baggage area limit) of bags.

So you down load on fuel and "only" make 4 hour legs rather than seven

I think that the DA40 is the best overall sub-200hp 4-seat certified single around. Easy to fly yet still nimble and sporty, astoundingly efficient, amazing visibility, and just all-around fun. They also have an excellent safety record.

That pretty much sums it up.

They tend to NOT burn after crashes which greatly increases survivability.

Actually there was never been a single post crash fire in any of the Diamond crashes.

2- I am considering a tiedown instead of a hangar. With the composite body,does that create any type of problem? Aluminum ....corrosion , Composite......?

Heat.

Having said that, for my only flight in a DA-40, it was tied down outside at KCDW.

-Skip

The temperature within the continental isn't that high for it to be a problem.
Keeping it tied down shouldn't be a problem. However you will want to buy a canopy cover...it will be like a green house in there.

The panel is higher than is some other GA aircraft, but I think you should be fine. Just in case you might want to bring a cushion. If you don't like cushions just climb at a higher speed to better visibility.

50gal tanks are for extended operations. The normal tanks for that aircraft are 40gal, that gives you plenty of range (good fuel burn rate) and plenty of useful load. And even if you have 50gal tanks...there is really no need to fill them up.

Oregon Aero makes seat cushions for the DA40 with a center stick cutout in a variety of thicknesses that will get you to the right height over the panel. Really comfortable too.

So, I'd say that they're slightly less forgiving of sloppy technique on landing, but other than that they're very forgiving, easy and fun to fly - The control feel is REALLY good, steep turns are effortless, stalls never break (it'll just mush in a falling-leaf stall - At a lower descent rate than a Cirrus under a parachute,.

Be careful of the falling leaf argument. It ignores total kinetic energy i.e. it ignores forward velocity. I had a Columbia sales guy once use the falling leaf argument and it was frustrating to listen to such dangerous talk. You are better to make a controlled off airport landing. With the forward momentum, if the nose drops just at the time of impact the result will be bad.

Someone mentioned the yellow arc. It is related to structural strength much like maneuvering speed.

Despite the comments above, Diamonds are excellent planes with a great safety record.

As Kent said It's a great plane. I just spent 30+ hours in the one in Kent's signature flying it out to CA and back. I was seeing 130-135TAS at altitude, and I burned around 8.5gph for the trip.

On long trips a pad under your butt is nice as the seats are a bit firm.

Enjoy the plane :)

Be careful of the falling leaf argument. It ignores total kinetic energy i.e. it ignores forward velocity. I had a Columbia sales guy once use the falling leaf argument and it was frustrating to listen to such dangerous talk. You are better to make a controlled off airport landing. With the forward momentum, if the nose drops just at the time of impact the result will be bad.

That's the thing, the DA40's nose never drops. It just sits there and mushes down in a nose-high attitude. In addition, vertical energy must be dissipated suddenly as the ground is not very forgiving, while forward energy can be dissipated over a comparatively much longer time frame which is less likely to cause injuries.

Despite the comments above, Diamonds are excellent planes with a great safety record.

This! :yes:

I've only had a checkout flight in a DA40XL (with the 50gal tanks). Loved it. It was a real pussycat. I'm really looking forward to cross countries in it. Pay close attention to weight and balance.

Actually there was never been a single post crash fire in any of the Diamond crashes.

Sadly, no longer true: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20101213X95210&key=1

I've heard that they think the guy was suicidal, which you'd pretty much have to be to start doing loops at night in a non-acro aircraft.

But, there certainly haven't been any otherwise survivable accidents with a fire in the Diamonds - They have a really good wing and fuel tank design that keeps the fuel contained in a crash. There hasn't been a crash with the airplane at fault either - Stupid pilot tricks, as always.

Sadly, no longer true: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20101213X95210&key=1

I've heard that they think the guy was suicidal, which you'd pretty much have to be to start doing loops at night in a non-acro aircraft.

But, there certainly haven't been any otherwise survivable accidents with a fire in the Diamonds - They have a really good wing and fuel tank design that keeps the fuel contained in a crash. There hasn't been a crash with the airplane at fault either - Stupid pilot tricks, as always.

I just read the report and I'm not sure if the fire started on the aircraft. "The vegetation within the wooded area was very dry, and a post-crash fire was evident around the engine and other components of the airplane." So perhaps his hot exhausts touching the dry woods started the fire?

I just have very hard time believing that a Diamond is capable of starting to burn on it's own.

I just read the report and I'm not sure if the fire started on the aircraft. "The vegetation within the wooded area was very dry, and a post-crash fire was evident around the engine and other components of the airplane." So perhaps his hot exhausts touching the dry woods started the fire?

I just have very hard time believing that a Diamond is capable of starting to burn on it's own.

Looks like you're right, especially since the plane touched down hard on its landing gear 75 feet before a tree line and managed to make it 300 feet into the woods before it stopped - AND it left its wings and tanks behind in the process. Both tanks say they were buckled and ruptured but still contained fuel. If the fuel had started the fire it'd have been much more severe. The bit about things continuing to smolder while they were investigating also makes it sound like hot engine parts touched off a brush fire rather than the plane itself burning.

I have been flying our 2005 DA40 IFR (KAP140 & G1000) for two years now.

Major trip last year was Calgary to Oshkosh to Kingston (Ontario) and back to Calgary via the south shore of Lake Superior. Lots of weather - several hours of serious IMC and numerous GPS approaches. Almost all done on KAP140 with G1000. Altitudes 6,000 to 11,000'

Bottom line:

1. Glad I had Oregon Aero lumbar seat back. (My shorter passengers love the seat cushions). It was a long trip with several 3+ hr segments and one even longer.

2. No problem with light to moderate turbulence or heavy rain.

3. G1000 was great for weather tracking.

4. Did a similar trip in a 2000 C182 in 2008. (KAP 140 + steam gauges). More room to stretch out and better landing in turbulence but same load restrictions. DA40 is quieter and I felt safer in DA40 with air bag seat belts and overall safety record.

Have fun!
Marc

Cessna/PA28's have to be manhandled around the sky in comparison. Most people also fly their approaches too fast and the C/P-birds are very forgiving of that. It takes a lot of drag to fly 30 knots slower with the same horsepower and fuel burn as a Diamond, so they'll slow down pretty quick.

A friend of mine called me while he was in the process of getting checked out in the DA40. He said he just couldn't get landings, they were really difficult, and others were having problems too, they'd just had a prop strike on a porpoised landing. I asked him how he was being taught to land - They wanted him coming in at 90 knots and one notch of flaps! :eek::mad2: I told him to slow the hell down and do what the book says - 67 knots and full flaps. He called me back after his next lesson and said he had no problems at all when he did it that way and was getting great landings.

So, I'd say that they're slightly less forgiving of sloppy technique on landing, but other than that they're very forgiving, easy and fun to fly - The control feel is REALLY good, steep turns are effortless, stalls never break (it'll just mush in a falling-leaf stall - At a lower descent rate than a Cirrus under a parachute, I might add!)

The other thing is that if you try to move the controls like you do in a C/P bird, you'll be all over the sky - It works much better to not even touch the stick, to just surround the stick with your hand and "think" it where you want it to go, and it'll respond. That plus the view makes it feel a lot more like you are flying instead of just riding around in a little tin can in the sky.

Makes sense. Yes they are lighter in the controls and you don't need to move the stick around much. I really had no problem transitioning though. First couple landings were high but otherwise things were fairly straightforward. It's a whole lot easier to do a proper flare in them.

That's the thing, the DA40's nose never drops. It just sits there and mushes down in a nose-high attitude. In addition, vertical energy must be dissipated suddenly as the ground is not very forgiving, while forward energy can be dissipated over a comparatively much longer time frame which is less likely to cause injuries.

This! :yes:

The record of BRS events stand as real world data and say that, within parameters, the system is excellent. I will wait for falling leaf data to feel the same about it. You are correct that there is opportunity to expend the forward energy over a longer period of time than the vertical energy. However, zero forward velocity is even better. My comments here reflect my nervousness about trusting a falling leaf to save you.

Beyond that the BRS on a cirrus is only part of the picture, the gear and seats are also designed for landing under canopy. The body's G tolerance is rather poor when dropped strait down in a seated position, it is much higher laterally.

Beyond that the BRS on a cirrus is only part of the picture, the gear and seats are also designed for landing under canopy. The body's G tolerance is rather poor when dropped strait down in a seated position, it is much higher laterally.

Exactly.

Cirrus' were specifically designed for zero airspace impact under the canopy, Diamonds are designed for impact with some kind of forward velocity. I wouldn't bother with the falling leaf on the 40.
For example Cirrus' seats will compress in order to observe inpact, Diamond's seats are rock hard.
So if you need to crash a Diamond, do not try to crash it like a Cirrus.

That's the thing, the DA40's nose never drops. It just sits there and mushes down in a nose-high attitude.

This statement keeps bugging me but I may be missing something. I thought a falling leaf was a stall followed by the nose dropping, the wing regains flight and then the nose rises and the wing stalls just to repeat the cycle. If the nose is always pointed above the horizon then I don't see how forward speed is maintained.

For what you said to be true there has to be a nose high engine out configuration that generates enough forward velocity such that the relative wind is about 15 degrees down from the wing chord.

I'm not saying you are incorrect. I'm saying I don't understand how it can happen.

This statement keeps bugging me but I may be missing something. I thought a falling leaf was a stall followed by the nose dropping, the wing regains flight and then the nose rises and the wing stalls just to repeat the cycle. If the nose is always pointed above the horizon then I don't see how forward speed is maintained.

For what you said to be true there has to be a nose high engine out configuration that generates enough forward velocity such that the relative wind is about 15 degrees down from the wing chord.

I'm not saying you are incorrect. I'm saying I don't understand how it can happen.

A falling leaf is when you keep the aircraft in a stall with the nose above the horizon and wings most or less level.

I have about 800 hours in a DA40. I've done the falling leaf a few times. The stall in the DA40 is so benign it just mushes and the nose doesn't really drop. However the decent rate changes a lot in this maneuver. As the stall gets deeper the decent rate picks up and then as the plane picks up speed, the decent rate drops. From memory I want to say it varies from about 600 fpm to 1,500 fpm. The problem with this maneuver is that you can't control what it's going to be when it hits the ground. My DA40 has a max gross weight stall speed of 49 knots, airbags and a 28g cockpit. I never really understood the point of the "falling leaf" other than marketing hype. I'd much rather fly it to the best available landing site and stall it right before impact.

Back