Diamond DA40 Questions

Still being interested in the DA-40 but not an owner, I thought I'd ask about this here:

Can anyone give more info on the DA-40 spar AD, particularly what the FAA found and what needs to be done?

AD link

Last edited:
Still being interested in the DA-40 but not an owner, I thought I'd ask about this here:

Can anyone give more info on the DA-40 spar AD, particularly what the FAA found and what needs to be done?

AD link
Within the next 2000 hrs since new or since the last Major Structural Inspection from the
date of effectivity, but not later than 31-Dec-2022.

By further testing and investigation it was discovered that the fatigue strength of the aft main
spar in the cabin area does not ensure unlimited lifetime. This Service Bulletin prescribes
the reinforcement of the aft main spar to correct this condition. As an additional benefit the
reinforcement is the basis for the Major Structural Inspection interval increase to 6000 hrs
since new and every 4000 hrs thereafter.

Here is a link to a list of all DA40 optional (mostly upgrades to features available on newer models) and mandatory service bulletins which can be downloaded individually as PDF files. The spar AD is listed as MSB 40-074 near the bottom of the list. It lists the affected serial numbers. They estimate 4 hours labor for compliance which is probably very optimistic. http://support.diamond-air.at/da40-180_sb+M52087573ab0.html

AD link

If you're not an owner, I don't think there's anything to worry about here. The DA40 has dual main spars and passed the FAA structural certification even with one of them missing. It's one of the strongest airplanes out there. So if you're going to rent one, I promise your wings won't fall off on their own.

If you're not an owner, I don't think there's anything to worry about here. The DA40 has dual main spars and passed the FAA structural certification even with one of them missing. It's one of the strongest airplanes out there. So if you're going to rent one, I promise your wings won't fall off on their own.
And that's not just theory. The DA40 has an outstanding safety record.

Back