DHS thinks I'm "suspicious", and probably you too.

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
From a flyer that was dropped off at an FBO in Hickory, NC...

INDICATORS OF SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY INCLUDE:

* A customer that does not want to provide any identification or provides identification from a Southwest Border state or foreign country.
* A customer who insists on paying cash.
* A customer who displays numerous cellular telephones.
* Transfer of luggage or bags from one person or aircraft to another.
* Guards posted around the aircraft.
* Rents hangars for short periods of time.
* Excessive amount of luggage for only one person.
* Vague about their travel itinerary.
* Nervousness.
* Altered "N" numbers.
* Dirty undercarriage or tires.
* Uses self refueling very late at night or very early in the morning.
* Flying an aircraft that is worn out but has very nice GPS system.

These indicators are examples of possible suspicious activity that should be referred to law enforcement...

Okay, on any given normal flying day for me, probably five of the above "indicators" are true. I guess I can look forward to the government goons pointing guns at me next, right? And I don't think I'm in the minority.

From a flyer that was dropped off at an FBO in Hickory, NC...

Okay, on any given normal flying day for me, probably five of the above "indicators" are true.QUOTE]

Just go ahead and turn yourself in already - BIG BROTHER will take it easy on you. Your POH will combust at 451 F so don't forget to make a legal copy of that and stash that in an attick somewhere in the Netherlands...

Good luck to you....

I'm off the hook. My airplane is old, and probably considered worn out, but it does not have any kind of GPS system. I also do not post guards around it, although I do have a prop lock.

John

Ok Guys, help me out here..

Suppose I know a guy, lets call him "Ted"...

Ted has a old ragged plane with a GPS in it.
Ted's plane smells of dog poop, kitty litter to mask the appearence of possible drug activity and the undercarriage is dirty.
Ted has made some suspicious runs including south of the border.
Ted does seem to get reporters to surround his plane at airports, these reporters 'could' be guards.
Ted has been know to frequent self serve pumps.

Do I make a unidentified phone call from a pay phone to inform big brother about this activity?/ Or do I just keep chatting with him and pretend he is not suspicious acting at all ? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Ps. I have seen pics of him holding a bag of what he claims was ice melting pellets,,, But.......... Was it really ice melting stuff ????????

Ben , the weasel, Haas.

Last edited:
Do I make a unidentified phone call from a pay phone to inform big brother about this activity?/ Or do I just keep chatting with him and pretend he is not suspicious acting at all ? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Depends on the size of the ree-ward. You and this "Ted" guy of which you speak could split it.

Kind of like "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

What the heck? Dirty undercarriage or tires? Worn out aircraft with a GPS?

Shame on you, DHS.
They're looking for drug runners. These notices have been around for years, since at least the 1980s as I recall, so it's nothing new.

Ok Guys, help me out here..

Suppose I know a guy, lets call him "Ted"...

Ted has a old ragged plane with a GPS in it.
Ted's plane smells of dog poop, kitty litter to mask the appearence of possible drug activity and the undercarriage is dirty.
Ted has made some suspicious runs including south of the border.
Ted does seem to get reporters to surround his plane at airports, these reporters 'could' be guards.
Ted has been know to frequent self serve pumps.

Ps. I have seen pics of him hold a bag of what he claims was ice melting pellets,,, But.......... Was it really ice melting stuff ????????

Ben , the weasel, Haas.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ben, you beat me to it. We already know that DHS thinks I'm suspicious, they proved that in mid-February when I came into KLBL and wasted an hour of my time to find out that my plane does not, in fact, have any drugs in it.

Suspicious items from the list:

- I generally don't provide much of anyone with identification unless given a good reason for it. Oh, and I have made a bunch of international flights in the past few months
- I have a work cell and a personal cell
- I am frequently picking up or dropping off lots of "baggage" or "cargo"... and it's furry
- There are typically "guards" around the aircraft (to make sure the dogs don't escape), and just a general whole bunch of people
- Lots of luggage for only one person - you know, 15-20 dogs
- Rarely know my travel itinerary beyond the next stop or two
- Dirty undercarriage? You bet! I don't have time to wash the poor plane...
- Frequently use self-refueling late at night or early in the morning - that's the schedule I have to meet
- Hey! My plane isn't worn out! Well ok it may look a little on the ugly side... but it has a shiny GPS in it! Hmm...

At least my nerves of steel would eliminate me from the "nervous" category... :rolleyes2:

Gotta love the DHS.

In all seriousness, I don't have any issue with that list. If I saw that sort of activity, my antenna would perk up. What's the line between Narc/Snitch and Responsible Citizen?

Suspicious items from the list:

So you essentially have a free pass to the Elysian Fields and they would love to burn you at the stake for it.

There's just something very very wrong with that.

* A customer that does not want to provide any identification or provides identification from a Southwest Border state or foreign country. Nope. UNless you count Alaska as a foreign country
* A customer who insists on paying cash. Nope
* A customer who displays numerous cellular telephones. Nope
* Transfer of luggage or bags from one person or aircraft to another. Only if I'm transferring to the airlines from my plane, does that count?
* Guards posted around the aircraft. *Snicker*
* Rents hangars for short periods of time. Not even when it's cold
*Excessive amount of luggage for only one person. My wife's maybe
* Vague about their travel itinerary. Nope
* Nervousness. Nope
* Altered "N" numbers. Nope
* Dirty undercarriage or tires. Well, duh
* Uses self refueling very late at night or very early in the morning. Yep, especially in Alaskan summers :ihih:
* Flying an aircraft that is worn out but has very nice GPS system. I resent that remark

I'll take my chances :thumbsup:

* A customer that does not want to provide any identification or provides identification from a Southwest Border state or foreign country.
NM issues drivers licenses. In Detroit, there are some customs agents that are not convinced that New Mexico USA is a US state. Found that out one day when driving back from Canada with NM plates. Don't want to provide any identification anyway.
* A customer who insists on paying cash.
I'll pay by check, but you'd better take the cash too, if you want to make sure you're paid. Sometimes I don't balance my checkbook.
* A customer who displays numerous cellular telephones.
Wife kid me...but I keep 'em hidden in my pocket. Kids' phone is ideal for keeping tabs on wayward teens.
* Transfer of luggage or bags from one person or aircraft to another.
Darn near every time I fly I transfer luggage from the car to the kid and wife for loading.
* Guards posted around the aircraft.
My hangar had mice. It now has a nice airport cat. And no mice. Guard cat posted around aircraft.
* Rents hangars for short periods of time.
Absolutely, especially when large amounts of snow or hail are happening for short periods of time at itinerant airports.
* Excessive amount of luggage for only one person.
My wife thinks a C182 is a flying pickup truck.
* Vague about their travel itinerary.
I go here...I go there...Sometimes I don't go there, but I go here instead. Wouldn't want the local TSA to learn I'm away from home lest I need a new TV.
* Nervousness.
LIFR always makes me a bit nervous.
* Altered "N" numbers.
Airplane just painted...N numbers look much prettier. I guess that's an alteration.
* Dirty undercarriage or tires.
1700' grass strip...freshly mowed. Hence greentips...and wheels and ...
* Uses self refueling very late at night or very early in the morning.
Only because I fly very late at night or very early in the morning. God only made so many great weekends to visit all the great places in the world.
How 'bout a very nice airplane with a very worn out GPS?

These indicators are examples of possible suspicious activity that should be referred to law enforcement...

When DHS-diots placed similar flyers at a local marina, which included specific items, like boats hanging around the gas dock, among other things I got a great idea.

Why don't we all call the feds/law enforcement and turn each other in multiple times. They'd be so busy tracking down all the leads, they'd be too exhausted to bother us. Imagine that 400,000 "tips" all meeting the criteria. And if we each turned in every pilot we saw...400,000 squared tips.

hahaha this is absurd... but obviously looking for drug runners.

* A customer that does not want to provide any identification or provides identification from a Southwest Border state or foreign country. TEXAS
* Vague about their travel itinerary. CHANGES DAILY and HOURLY
* Dirty undercarriage or tires. FLYING A DIFFERENT AIRPLANE DAILY, TAILDRAGGERS TO DIRT STRIPS ALL THE TIME
* Uses self refueling very late at night or very early in the morning. SELF SERVE IS CHEAPEST, AND THAT'S WHEN THE AIR IS CALM
PRETTY PAINT WONT GET ME THROUGH A THUNDERSTORM, BUT GNS530 WITH NEXRAD SURE WILL

What's the line between Narc/Snitch and Responsible Citizen?

It's when the filtering criteria for suspicious activity is the behavior pattern of the average run of the mill citizen. Granted that I haven't flown in a while however 8 consistently and 9 on a regular basis out of 13?? I'm far less of a risk to this or any other country than the goon that would be questioning me.

That list is messed up. I mean things like a border state is still a USA state, not another country or a neutral buffer zone. NM or TX is no different than KS or WV. Cash still says "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private" on it or has that changed too and money is no longer valid currency?

They're Fruitcakes.

Most of my flying is in a border state. Oops. :eek:

It said southwestern border state, so you should be OK. We in California might have to worry though. :)

Back